Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
heading to alaska

were planing a trip in 2011 we know things will change by than . we readed rving with faith todd in better rving. like to know any body advise or do don't do.any information would be helpful. leaving in june--september.36' gulf stream deisel endura
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Good morning and welcome;

We went to Alaska last year and had a wonderful time. My first comment would be to make certain that your rig is in good shape. Good tires, spare filters, oil changed, etc. The route that you will take is not unlike other places, so there are available facilities for service all through Canada and Alaska. Be prepared but don't worry about it. To plan your trip, purchase the Milepost book and the Church's book about camping in Alaska. We did, and used both of them. Alaska is a long way off, so don't be in a hurry. Enroute to AK, you will pass through beautiful parts of Canada. Spend lots of time enjoying the wonderful sights and nice folks of Canada. It is journey in itself. We did Banff, Lake Louise, the Icefields Parkway and Jasper on the way north and the Yellowhead Highway all the way from Prince Rupert to Edmonton on the way home.

Now, about that article in Better Rving by Faith Todd. When I read it, I was going to write to the editor of the publication about it. While entertaining, it is grossly inaccurate. I through the magazine away, so I'm commenting from memory, so bear with me.

The article said that just past Dawson Creek, BC, the Alaska Highway becomes gravel and remains that way for a good portion of the way to Ak. Wrong! There are sections of the road that are gravel and are rough, but most of the Alaska Highway is a paved highway, not unlike roads in the lower 48.

The article also describes how their rig suffered broken axles and the efforts to repair and replace them. Not to be critical, but if one drives a rig so fast that axles and suspension parts are damaged, then it is not the fault of the roadway, rather the driver. I observed that all construction zones were marked and many of them had pilot cars and flaggers. The roads are worse in the spring and get better as they are repaired as the summer goes along. In my experience, the most difficult section to the Alaska Highway insofar as road conditions were concerned was the sections near Kluane lake and the bridge due to long stretches of roadwork. There were lots of frost heaves that we encountered. I drove slow, pulled a little to the right when oncoming traffic approached and had no damage or broken windshields for the entire trip. I must say that there was lots mud going north and lots of dust coming south. I noticed that most drivers drove according to the conditions but that sometimes, someone would come towards us in a cloud of dust or mud or pass us as we pulled off to the right side of the road. Maybe the person who wrote that article and broke their axle was one of those folks?

Anyway, going to Canada and Alaska is exciting and we can't wait to return. We're going to the maritimes this year and, Good Lord willing, bake to AK next year.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for replay

we will take your advise.thats why were planing and getting information early. can't wait to go god willing.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #4

We made the Alaska trips last year. I have not read the Better RVing article, but I totally agree with Bob's post above. The only thing I might add is if I did it again I would have a cover on my toad that covered the entire front as well as the windshield.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #5

We made our first to Alaska in '76 pulling a 5ver and last year was our 2nd trip on the Harley with many other trips in between. Having said that, this forum is just like any other forum, it's one person's opinion or experience on a subject. While some of it may pertain to you, some may not. In other words don't believe everything you read, but read everything.
My advise is to buy a Milepost, plan your trip like you would any other long distance trip, take our time and have fun.

2004 Jeep Rubicon
ddz1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
ddz1952 is 100% correct in that everybody has a different experience when traveling to Alaska, or to any other place for that matter. Our trip was terrific and I can't wait to go again. JoeT made a valid observation. While my motor home did not get damaged, only very dirty, the toad took a beating. I used a fabric shield that stretched from the rear of the rig to the front bumper of the car and it did not really protect the toad at all. Next time, we'll use a cover that protects the front of the car as well as the windshield.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thanks for all the info.we read everything than sort it out.we understand some like it some don't. just planing earyly and sort things out. does the alltel stick for computor work out there or do we need hot spot.
thanks again bob linda & missy