Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Heading West

We'll be heading west from Charlotte Michigan starting on October 27th. I'm assuming, at this time of year, that it would be better to head south and west rather than just going across mostly on the 90?

Seems like there would be a good possibility of hitting snow with the northern route.

Any suggestions on best route?
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Weather forecasting isn't a perfect science, but if I-90 will get you where you want to end up, why not watch the forecasts and go West on I-90? If it looks like bad weather, you can always go SW to I-80 or even I-70, or even further south if you'd prefer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygge View Post
We'll be heading west from Charlotte Michigan starting on October 27th. I'm assuming, at this time of year, that it would be better to head south and west rather than just going across mostly on the 90?

Seems like there would be a good possibility of hitting snow with the northern route.

do you have a particular destination in mind?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with BFlinn. Check weather. It's not often that you will get blizzards at the end of Oct. but a good weather app will help keep you out of trouble. A lot of interstates will close their hwys, if they can't keep them clear. Exit and wait it out. You are equipped for waiting and it's never long.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
do you have a particular destination in mind?
We will eventually end up in the Bay Area but spending a little time in Washington or Oregon is appealing.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

Depending upon how long you will take to get to the west coast, the on line weather forecasts will look out 10 days and give you a decent view of the likelihood of potentially bad weather. I-90 if my favorite road to cross the country.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
We'll be heading west from Charlotte Michigan starting on October 27th.

I'm assuming, at this time of year, that it would be better to head south and west rather than just going across mostly on the 90?

First let's set up the Agenda - Where - How long - Mission of this trip.

Without some planning we/you are just asking what we would do with unlimited time and no special agenda/interests.

So if you are up for it - I'd have no issue with heading out on 90/or non interstates, across the country, with an eye on the weather. So just head on out to Washington/Oregon - you pick your route - little snow just hang out till the roads are cleared then head off again. Few days waiting for the Snow to melt sure beats thousands of miles on roads going to places you have no interest.

In my experience the "Real Snow" does not "Usually come" till December - As a long time skiers, I can't tell you how hard it is to FIND SNOW for Christmas, consistently at a Ski Resort.

So, not that Snow or Weather will not find you, just don't let the Thought of Snow dictate the Trip.

MHO, Go for It!

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

From Charlotte, Michigan there's no reason to get yourself on I-90 in November unless it's for visiting family. That will take you into the Dakota and Montana and into Washington. The chances are good that you'll run into bad weather and most RV parks will be closed. You will also have some steep passes to negotiate if it snows.

Instead, head south and if heading to Arizona or southern California (your best destinations for that time of year) take I-10 across. Even I-40 can have bad weather but you could drive it and closely monitor weather and be prepared to turn south. Again, many RV parks close by November except for the I-10 route.

Tour AZ and southern California and work your way to the Bay area if you must at that time of year. Hopefully you can tour until March/April and then head farther north to Oregon/Washington - much better times to sitesee along the coast but it will still be too early to explore the western side of those state and then return via I-90. May would be better.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:

Seldom do I ever disagree with twogypsies, but I'm a winter traveler, and the best two weeks we ever had in Yellowstone (Probably 10 visits over the years) was in Late October - Early November - Was every Camp Ground open? No, but the ones that are open aren't crowded, and the RV does have a generator and water, so really not that bad.

I'm in Boulder, CO right now - 78 degrees and BEAUTIFUL - sure it's snowed a couple times this October, it does not last, and 78 in the foothills in late October is HOT. (Sitting here in shorts and short sleeves)

Might there be some snow in the higher elevations in November - Sure - but that will just add to the beauty of the trip (IMHO).

So I guess my question is "What type of Person are you?" Did you ever ask Dad to do something and when he said no did you go and Ask Mom knowing she would likely be on your side.

Take a little risk - go for it.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

Leaning towards a southern route though I'm still mapping out both ways. I hadn't thought about CG's closing in the north, something to add to the thought process I guess. Place I'm at now closes Nov 1.

We usually take our time anymore but I think for at least part of this trip I will push a little more than usual when going through the areas that hold little interest for us.

I guess we'll wait on exploring the Northwest. 2018 is slated for east coast, 2019 will be Northwest and Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #11

You can check each states road conditions.....google that state
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #12

My brother lives in ID about an hour south of West Yellowstone MT which is south of I-90 and it is already snowing where he lives. My son lives in Omaha NE along I-80 and it has been raining there with snow expected any day. I would look at I-70 but Denver may get snow soon too, or I-40. Not much snow on 40 except near Flagstaff AZ
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote