RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #1

Heading WEST via I-80 or I-70?

Planning to leave Northern Ohio within the next couple of weeks headed for No. California(El Sobrante) via St. George, UT. I have my choice of heading west via I-80 or swinging a bit south to exit OH via I-70. Site seeing is not my priority at this point as its getting later in the year and my thoughts are more on safety.
I get using common sense to pay attention to WX forecasts and that anything can happen (wind & snow in the plains and mtns) in October.
Reading thru threads here it seems obvious the I-80 run is the better choice.
Anything you 'Road Warriors' can add or suggest would be of great value to me.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
'05 Newmar Dutchstar
8.9 Cummins, 370hp
Allison 3000
Roadmaster FalconII Towbar w/'14 GMC Terrain
pincherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #2

I80 takes you straight thru Reno into Sacramento, so that is obviously the shortest route.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pincherman View Post
Planning to leave Northern Ohio within the next couple of weeks headed for No. California(El Sobrante) via St. George, UT. I have my choice of heading west via I-80 or swinging a bit south to exit OH via I-70. Site seeing is not my priority at this point as its getting later in the year and my thoughts are more on safety.
I get using common sense to pay attention to WX forecasts and that anything can happen (wind & snow in the plains and mtns) in October.

Dave
'05 Newmar Dutchstar
8.9 Cummins, 370hp
Allison 3000
Roadmaster FalconII Towbar w/'14 GMC Terrain
Based on your departure point in northern Ohio and desire to go via St George, UT, I would stay on I80. Your issue then becomes when do you turn south? I like to avoid cities if I can and Salt Lake City and Denver fit in that catagory. Traffic in both cities can be horrendous!

See this Map that shows how I would get from Cheyenne, WY to I70 to avoid Salt Lake City.

The 2 lane sections of this route are navigable with your RV and avoid all the large mountain grades on I70. It also steers you clear of Denver traffic.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Based on your departure point in northern Ohio and desire to go via St George, UT, I would stay on I80. Your issue then becomes when do you turn south? I like to avoid cities if I can and Salt Lake City and Denver fit in that catagory. Traffic in both cities can be horrendous!

See this Map that shows how I would get from Cheyenne, WY to I70 to avoid Salt Lake City.

The 2 lane sections of this route are navigable with your RV and avoid all the large mountain grades on I70. It also steers you clear of Denver traffic.
Thanks, Yeloduster.
I see where CO-13 doesn't really challenge the mountains on that N to S run and I'm assuming there's nothing too harsh in the section of I-70 to I-15 even tho there are a few passes along the way?
Thanks, again.
pincherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree 80 is always best when just getting there is the priority. Itís also the easier drive over the Continental Divide. I like to avoid cities too, and the traffic in Salt Lake City is definitely a little crazy but the transition from 80 to 15 west bound is easy and it comes early before you get to central SLC.

So thatís what I would do. Iíve crossed the country a couple dozen times in the last few years and 80 is the only northern route Iíd use unless there were sights along 70 I really wanted to visit.

St George is what really throws a wrench in things. itís 300 miles from SLC on 15. 40 is the other tempting route but St G is over 200 miles from Kingman. Another option that looks good on the map is to take off from 80 on 76 at Big Springs NE but it only saves you 45 miles.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I70 from Green River to Salina is a very scenic drive through wind shaped rock formations, canyons and desert. There is significant grades both up and down but not to the extent of the grades on the passes on I70 in Colorado. Not bad...just drive within the limits of your vehicle.

The highest elevation on I70 in Utah is less than 8000' as opposed to >11,000' for the Eisenhower Tunnels and Vail Pass in Colorado.

I think you will find it an interesting and beautiful drive.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Planning to leave Northern Ohio within the next couple of weeks headed for No. California(El Sobrante) via St. George, UT.<snip>

Wow - I don't see El Sobrante mentioned very often. Spent my childhood there. Have a safe trip!
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you want to take 80, 215 south to 15 on the East side of SLC, by-passes the worst of the SLC traffic.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would agree that CO-13 is a good option to avoid the bug city traffic blues.

When I have to pass through Salt Like City I will try to time the trip to be just south or north of the city on Saturday night and then hit SLC early Sunday morning. Just wiz right through then. Next best option to me is mid morning. I've done that a few times pick up a center lane safely behind a trucker and stay put as much as possible and just cruise through.

Safe and fun travels...
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
I-80 and St George do not Compute - Maybe I-40 - BUT if I were you I'd look to I -70 possibly with some RT 36 through Missouri and Kansas - we just made the drive and the best roads in the Country are in Kansas (JMHO)

We have always headed to Hannibal and avoided the big cities of St Louis and Kansas City - Will be interesting to read what others post - as I reply before I read - - Out of St George head up to RT 50, the loneliest Highway, and into Cali - Hope the fires are fading as the smoke has been Bad all across the mid USA.

We are presently in Buena Vista Colorado - today and for the past three days the smoke here would not allow you to see the Blue Skies - winds have changed and now it is close to Normal - but still a ways to go.

Weather just keep an eye on it as it will change quickly - usually anything major will be Predicted.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't count on the Calif abating any time soon. They are just into the start of their normal fire season.

I will always route around big cities anytime I reasonably can. I also use the Hannibal option to bypass KC and St. Louis. Just Salt Lake City is harder avoid going northwest from New Mexico.
rarebear.nm is online now   Reply With Quote