Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Help! Planing a trip to Florida

New, First long trip from Houston to Hopefully Key West. Need all the helpful
Hints possible. Pitfalls where to stay etc. etc. going to go, going to go
Thanks
caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

Reservations for the winter are going to be difficult to get at this late date. Keep trying and hopefully you can get a cancellation. In the Daytona Beach are you can expect to pay a minimum of 600 per month. Florida is a lot higher for the winter than most other states.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome. When are you planning to take your trip? Here are a few things about travel between Houston and Tallahassee:
- I-10 in Louisiana is horrible, especially near Lafayette
- The KOA at Milton FL is near the freeway and a good place to stop for a night
- The Louisiana Welcome Station (on the TX border) has excellent coffee!

We haven't been down into Florida since we started RVing, so that's as much as I know. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell View Post
Thanks
Even if you can get a reservation in the Keys at this late date, you will find campgrounds VERY expensive! If you are towing, you might think about a campground north of the keys and drive down to the Keys-just a thought. When do you plan to go?
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #5

If you are going to take I-75 down through Florida, consider Lazy Days in Tampa. The Ft. Myers and Naples areas are nice, and have many RV stops.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

If the keys are booked you still have so many great locations on the FL west coast. We enjoyed our stay @ Hillsborough state park.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The closer you get to Key West, the harder it will be to find something available and reasonable too. I made all of our reservations for our stay in the Keys for the later half of January around the middle of November. I got the last site at Bluewater Key Resort for 5 nights in January. However, I am sure you may find some openings at other RV resorts at different Keys along the way farther north than Key West. Also, there are surely some sites available at state parks and campgrounds for a few days.

Plan to spend a lot of time on the phone calling around.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell
Thanks
Hello, we are going next week to Fl. Others are correct doubt at this late you will find anything available south of Tampa or south of Daytona. We made res months ago still had problems. Expensive 600 for the month in Daytona area is on the reasonable side! Stay inland and drive to the keys. I lived in Fl for over 50 years!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I went to the Keys in 2009 and stayed at an RV park at Big Pine Key, exit 39. If I were ever to go again I would stay in Homestead at the Miami/Everglades RV Park and takedaytrips to the Keys. Ratesare a lotmore reasonable and only 99 miles to Big Pine Key, don't know how much further to Key West.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi caldwell,
First try Sunshine Key RV Resort at mile marker 39. Go to Sunshine Key RV Resort and Marina Reservations | Big Pine Key Campgrounds and check it out. It is a very large resort. There are many things to do both North and South of the resort. If you need details on what to see and do, PM me here at iRV2.

Before considering staying on the mainland and driving to the Keys for every visit, the road is two lane and mostly 45 MPH. Traveling through small towns with traffic and traffic lights. I tell folks before they go for the first time to leave their main land attitude on the main land. Once on RT 1, just sit back, take it easy and have patience.

I live in South Florida and go to the Keys 1 or 2 times a year. I stay at the Resort mentioned above.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know how long you are going for and if the Key's are that important but when I saw the rates from the Resort in the Keys I almost fell out of my seat. We're staying mid FL in a beautiful Resort in Zephyrhills. Lots still available by the month posted in the rental section. email a few lot owners and see what they might have available. I didn't see what you were traveling in but they have a specific area for trailers. Class A motorhomes can be scattered thru the resort and also have an area dedicated just for them alone. Check it out emeraldpointervresort.com. Been here 2-1/2 weeks and the temps have averaged in the upper 70's to low 80's since we've been here. Wherever you go have a GREAT trip and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #12

We made reservations yesterday for 3 state pars in Panama Beach area and Destin.... Lots of available spots, just not as far south,,,, we will be staying 5-7 nights at each trying to find our favorite ones... Not as warm as the keys but.......
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
If the keys are booked you still have so many great locations on the FL west coast. We enjoyed our stay @ Hillsborough state park.
We stayed at Hillsborough State Park last winter for about a week. Nice park, good facilities. Also loved the state park at Panama City Beach on the Gulf Coast.
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi caldwell,
First try Sunshine Key RV Resort at mile marker 39. Go to Sunshine Key RV Resort and Marina Reservations | Big Pine Key Campgrounds and check it out. It is a very large resort. There are many things to do both North and South of the resort. If you need details on what to see and do, PM me here at iRV2.

Before considering staying on the mainland and driving to the Keys for every visit, the road is two lane and mostly 45 MPH. Traveling through small towns with traffic and traffic lights. I tell folks before they go for the first time to leave their main land attitude on the main land. Once on RT 1, just sit back, take it easy and have patience.

I live in South Florida and go to the Keys 1 or 2 times a year. I stay at the Resort mentioned above.
Glad to hear your comment about big pine key. we have reservations in about 3 or 4 weeks. Look for a GMC canyon with grandkids pics on rear window if you are in the area.
tooltrdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida