Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2023, 06:54 PM   #1

Help! Route Branson to Custer

Hi all,
Looking for a little advice please!
Need to get to Custer SD from Branson Missouri in about 2 overnight stops. Towing a fifth wheel..don't really want to drive through Kansas City as I'm kinda new to towing. Was thinking of getting west into Kansas 54and onto 75 north stopping in north Kansas somewhere along the way, next day maybe making it to ogalalla, would rather take 30 than 80 and get to 385 that way and up. Would like to go on 2 through sand hills second day but can't find anywhere really to camp...have had people tell me just go interstate all the way to 90 in SD and over...need advice please
Thank you!!!!
Boris77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2023, 11:49 PM   #2

For only two days I'd highly recommend the shortest and fastest:

955 miles:

65N to Springfield
13 to Clinton
7 to I-29 at Kansas City and on to Sioux Falls
I-90 west to Rapid City
16/385 to Custer

When going through big cities don't stay in the far right on/off lane if there are three or more lanes. Get into the next lane over and stay there. Then you won't have to deal with those trying to get on the highway. If there are enough lanes for others to pass you just hold your own. It'll be over before you know it! Also, by the time you get to Kansas City you'll be a pro at driving!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:24 AM   #3

Living in Branson and going to Custer a few times, in two over nights you are really pushing yourself. twogypsies gave you great information if you are stuck on the two night go that way. Stay out of the far right lane until you need to. Pick a time to get through KC its really not that bad.

If you want to take your time I would head to Wichita via hwy400 then at Salina you can make a choice of either going North up to Kearney or west on I70 to hwy 6 going north to Ogallala to hwy 26 to 385 but its not do able in two nights.

Injoy Custer its a great town when we go we stay at Fort Welikeit https://www.blackhillsrv.com/

Good Luck enjoy
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:44 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris77 View Post
Hi all,
Looking for a little advice please!
Need to get to Custer SD from Branson Missouri in about 2 overnight stops. Towing a fifth wheel..don't really want to drive through Kansas City as I'm kinda new to towing. Was thinking of getting west into Kansas 54and onto 75 north stopping in north Kansas somewhere along the way, next day maybe making it to ogalalla, would rather take 30 than 80 and get to 385 that way and up. Would like to go on 2 through sand hills second day but can't find anywhere really to camp...have had people tell me just go interstate all the way to 90 in SD and over...need advice please
Thank you!!!!
The route he gave you is a good route. But since you said "kind of new to towing", use caution. If you want to break it up evenly, you are talking
500-mile days. Don't wear yourself out and become a hazard to you and others.
If you could break it up to 3 days, you may find it easier doing, and less stressful for you. Just use caution and be safe.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:29 AM   #5

Thank you all for the information. If I went either route you all suggest what would be good place to stop for the first night? If I have myself a little more time and was able to stop 2 nights what do you suggest?? Thank you again!!!
Boris77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris77 View Post
Thank you all for the information. If I went either route you all suggest what would be good place to stop for the first night? If I have myself a little more time and was able to stop 2 nights what do you suggest?? Thank you again!!!
Since you're new, I will make a suggestion.

Decide on the miles per day you would like to drive and the route. Using Google Maps, you can usually plot the cities near that number of miles in a couple of destination searches.

Google search rv camping near that city. Do a bit of research to get the amenities like pull-thrus you want.

If no search results, adjust your miles for that day and search again.

Koa Journeys offer consistent amenities along popular routes. That's my go-to for overnight stays along the way. Followed by other private parks and state parks.
Full hook ups or at least electricity and water available with a dump station are my minimum requirements
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:47 PM   #7

I just did a quick search for RV parks near Blencoe, Iowa just south of Sioux City, Iowa as it's about 450 miles for the first night. You can easily adjust the mileage you want to drive per day using Google Maps and then search for a rv park near a certain town on Campendium RV Park site. Here is one park in the area but there are more options in the surrounding area.

https://www.campendium.com/on-ur-wa-rv-park
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 04:18 AM   #8

My best advice for planning a trip like this is to use RV Trip Wizard. You have to pay for it, but it's worth it.

I'm from the St. Louis, MO area and yearly travel to Newcastle, WY, which is not far from Custer, SD. I've taken many routes to and from the area. Here's a Google route mostly using US highways. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bran...43.7666507!3e0

I've traveled US-54 and routed you to 54 out of Branson. As you know, the Missouri highways/roads can be challenging. Here are a couple of suggestions for the first night based on about 200 miles out https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regio...nto-lake-12324 and https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regio...rv-park-249910
2024 Brinkley G 3500 #39
2017 F450
Always in the Dawg Haus
MKwilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route