Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennb100 View Post
You might want to consider angling up to I-20 and then hooking back up with I-10 where the two merge in West Texas.

Why? I-20 is in much better condition than I-10 across Louisiana and you miss driving through the heart of Houston. I-20 skirts the south Dallas suburbs and the traffic is not too bad.
if you do decide to grab 20,
pickup hwy 231 north just past Marianna Florida take it north west through Dothan up to Montgomery and then I-65 to Birmingham to grab 20
i would add I-20 thru Shreveport, its expansion joints will drive you out of your mind, not bad once you get in texas, avoid the i-20 corridor thru big d anytime after 2pm until around 8 pm, the 635 / 20 merger is nutty, heading west in the late afternoon.

but its better than houston.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fort Stockton, TX is a "driving distance" stop between San Antonio and El Paso. They only place that we have stayed in that town is Fort Stockton RV Park. I don't mean to insult anyone, but we call Fort Stockton the armpit of Texas. I'm sure there are some that will disagree.

No disagreement here, Wayne. We've stayed at Fort Stockton RV Park 3 times now...after driving around and looking at two others. It's no destination resort but as an overnight stop it works great. The on site Road Runner Cafe is also worth about 5000 calories and a bucket of laughs
As for it being the armpit of Texas... you may need to look a little farther south on the body IMHO

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
In case anybody missed this:

The federal government has posted signs along a major interstate highway in Arizona, more than 100 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border, warning travelers the area is unsafe because of drug and alien smugglers, and a local sheriff says Mexican drug cartels now control some parts of the state.
The signs were posted by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) along a 60-mile stretch of Interstate 8 between Casa Grande and Gila Bend, a major east-west corridor linking Tucson and Phoenix with San Diego.
They warn travelers that they are entering an "active drug and human smuggling area" and they may encounter "armed criminals and smuggling vehicles traveling at high rates of speed." Beginning less than 50 miles south of Phoenix, the signs encourage travelers to "use public lands north of Interstate 8" and to call 911 if they "see suspicious activity."

I drove this route westbound in April 2010, to avoid traffic and construction encountered on I-10 in Phoenix on the eastbound leg, without problems and saw another vehicle only occasionally. Travel with caution.
Wayne (KQ6WG), Bonnie & Sofie (Rottweiler) - '06 Itasca Meridian 36G -Cummins 300HP/Allison 2000 SBW - Onan 7.5KW - '08 Honda CRV (toad) - M&G proportional brake system Last RV - Hans Christian 38T Cutter Rigged Sailboat - Homebase - Fullerton, CA
wddogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

That's nuts. We drove that stretch in November and our daughter just made the trip back and forth from San Diego and Phoenix at Christmas without noticing anything unusual. I sure hope this spurs some serious action.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #19

Maureen,

We drove the east end of I-10 a couple of times this past year. FL, AL & MS are all pretty good and nothing to worry about. In LA there are a couple of 'watch outs'. When you get near the east end of the I-10/I-12 split, the road gets bad, but only for a couple of miles so no problem, just slow down a bit.

Danger, warning, broken parts - at the west end of the Basin Bridge just east of Lafayette, appx mm 104 - 122 or so is a really bad stretch. It will beat you to death if you don't slow down. If you wear dentures, use double glue. Put your 4 way flashers on and drop down to 45 and it won't be as bad, but it will still be bad.

On our second trip east we exited in Lafayette and stayed at a city park there, Acadiana Park CG. $13 for 50 amp and water. Then we used a couple of state roads to head east missing most of the bad section (twice was more than enough for one year).

RV Park Reviews :: Lafayette, Louisiana ( LA ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Then at the west end in LA is another bridge with really bad expansion joints. I-10 in TX up to Houston was ok.

A good place for a night or two in MS is at the Davis Bayou CG in Ocean Springs (next to Biloxi). Leaving you can stay on US-98 and follow the gulf for a nice ride back to I-10.

RV Park Reviews :: Ocean Springs, Mississippi ( MS ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

If you are Passport America, then a nice 1 nighter in TX is the Gulf Coast RV park, breakfast included.

RV Park Reviews :: Beaumont, Texas ( TX ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Happy travels,

Bob
Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #20

We did the same route last year twice in a three month period. I can't remember any bad spots that you really need to avoid. I did it in 7 days, but my gps said it should only take you 57 hours

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wddogger View Post
In case anybody missed this:

The federal government has posted signs along a major interstate highway in Arizona, more than 100 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border, warning travelers the area is unsafe because of drug and alien smugglers, and a local sheriff says Mexican drug cartels now control some parts of the state.
The signs were posted by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) along a 60-mile stretch of Interstate 8 between Casa Grande and Gila Bend, a major east-west corridor linking Tucson and Phoenix with San Diego.
They warn travelers that they are entering an "active drug and human smuggling area" and they may encounter "armed criminals and smuggling vehicles traveling at high rates of speed." Beginning less than 50 miles south of Phoenix, the signs encourage travelers to "use public lands north of Interstate 8" and to call 911 if they "see suspicious activity."

I drove this route westbound in April 2010, to avoid traffic and construction encountered on I-10 in Phoenix on the eastbound leg, without problems and saw another vehicle only occasionally. Travel with caution.
This is HORSE HOCKEY!!

Those signs are posted to deter people from boondocking in that area, as has been the practice over the years.

Has NOTHING to do with traveling the freeways through AZ.

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2guy View Post
This is HORSE HOCKEY!!

Those signs are posted to deter people from boondocking in that area, as has been the practice over the years.

Has NOTHING to do with traveling the freeways through AZ.
I wasn't sure what you were saying was "horse hockey" so I went back and re-read Signs in Arizona warn of smuggler dangers - Washington Times the Washington Times article on it and I think you're right. It's easy to read the story as implying it's no longer safe to use the Interstate 8... but a careful read seems to reveal that they're talking about "use of public lands".

Good eye. I feel a bit better.... I think.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps I Didn't Make Myself Clear

For those who missed it at the end of my post, I said:
"I drove this route westbound in April 2010, to avoid traffic and construction encountered on I-10 in Phoenix on the eastbound leg, without problems and saw another vehicle only occasionally. Travel with caution."
I intend to travel that route again in the near future to avoid traffic and construction encountered on I-10 in Phoenix. "Travel with caution" means just that, not "don't go there". If caution is the equivalent of "horse hockey!!" in your book, suit yourself.
Wayne (KQ6WG), Bonnie & Sofie (Rottweiler) - '06 Itasca Meridian 36G -Cummins 300HP/Allison 2000 SBW - Onan 7.5KW - '08 Honda CRV (toad) - M&G proportional brake system Last RV - Hans Christian 38T Cutter Rigged Sailboat - Homebase - Fullerton, CA
wddogger is offline   Reply With Quote