Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Highway 101 from Santa Rosa up to Eureka/Trinidad/Redwood

Wondering if Highway 101 is still passable for a 44-foot RV pulling 24-foot toad. Wanting to use it from Santa Rosa all the way up to Trinidad and a campground right near the southern visitor center at Redwood.

I've seen lots of posts in the past saying "Highway 101 is just fine," but then according to the alerts at the NPS website there have been some rockslides, and hence some temporary closures/2-hour delays/etc.

What's most concerning to me is that my Garmin RV-1090 GPS seems to absolutely refuse to route me that way, even though RV Trip Wizard will allow it. And the difference between the two routes is something like 5 hours vs. 12 hours (the latter being the really roundabout one that Garmin seems to want to force on me).

From the RV Trip Wizard map, it appears that the "problem area" might be between Leggett and Piercy.

Anybody got any firsthand knowledge/advice? Thanks!

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

We've done 101 from San Fran to Oregon with a 40' towing a Jeep. The only issue is around Benbow to Fortuna. You need to weave inbetween some huge redwoods which are right at the road's edge. However, semi trucks drive it so.....
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #3

We live in Cloverdale, right where 101 climbs into Mendocino. We travel as far as Ukiah regularly and further a few times a year. 101 was just repaved and is in very good shape on this end. The fires are what caused most of the recent closures. Currently there are no problems but we are currently under a Red Flag warning. Itís very dry and weíre already under drought restrictions.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

Thanks to all those who posted with advice/info regarding the Highway 101 trip. Today we finally made our way up Highway 101 from Willits to Trinidad, with absolutely no problem at all, even at 68-feet in total. And the reason the Garmin GPS refused to route me up the 101 was due to a supposed 65-foot limit somewhere along the way, but we had no issues whatsoever. Very pleasant drive!
Old 05-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartor View Post
And the reason the Garmin GPS refused to route me up the 101 was due to a supposed 65-foot limit somewhere along the way,
I believe 65 feet is the max limit for ALL California highways - probably never enforced by itself, just don't do anything to make yourself visible to the CHP and you'll have no worries...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartor View Post
Thanks to all those who posted with advice/info regarding the Highway 101 trip. Today we finally made our way up Highway 101 from Willits to Trinidad, with absolutely no problem at all, even at 68-feet in total. And the reason the Garmin GPS refused to route me up the 101 was due to a supposed 65-foot limit somewhere along the way, but we had no issues whatsoever. Very pleasant drive!
Glad your travel was problem free!

How did the Garmin act once you were on the 101 route? Did it accept or try to re-route you anyway?

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #7

Have done that drive in our DP's with toad many times.

Very much enjoy the drive. Never get in a hurry on that stretch.

If you are brand new to mountain driving, that would be the only thing what would cause me to reconsider that route. Said another way, if you are a "put in D and go", may not be the best route.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Glad your travel was problem free!

How did the Garmin act once you were on the 101 route? Did it accept or try to re-route you anyway?

Sorry for the slow response...just now seeing this. The Garmin "complained" repeatedly for 30-40 miles or so, continuing to try to "route me to the next U-Turn." Eventually when I reached a particular section of 101 (can't remember exactly where), it actually flashed a red "STOP" warning indicating "65-foot limit," and that's when I finally understood *why* it wouldn't route me that way. Once I continued on anyway, it finally "resigned itself" to my having no choice but to continue the rest of the (since it would be just as wrong for me to "go back" on that route! :-)). It also continued to keep the red banner on the screen for several miles, but eventually that went away too. It was fun watching the mileage/time drop from 800-some miles and 13 hours back to 120 miles and 2 hours! :-)

But there was absolutely no problem with the road at all; I've been on far worse roads where corners were so sharp you had to be careful to not scrape (e.g., Route 120 into Yosemite, on the stretch just west of Groveland).