Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #1

Highway 101 Seaside OR to Redwoods CA

Hello Everyone,

I’m active duty and am being transferred next month down to San Diego. I currently live just north of Seattle WA. My family and I are planning to make a vacation out of our drive down by visiting the Oregon Coast and on down to the Redwoods National Forest. I will be pulling a 37’ fifth wheel and am a little concerned about the drive from Seaside OR down the 101 to the Redwoods. Can anyone shed any wisdom my way as to what to expect, is it safe, and or alternate routes? We would like to visit Seaside OR, Depoe Bay and the surrounding towns north & south of there. After that, continue on down the 101 to the Redwoods. Thank you for any advise you can provide.

Chris
Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #2

You'll have no problems with 101 down to San Francisco. Then cut inward. A good place to be right in the midst of the big trees along 101 is to stop at Ancient Redwoods RV at Redcrest, CA. The trails right there are easy to do and are awesome.

Cape Blanco State Park on the southern end of Oregon is a great place to stay. They don't accept reservations and we've always gotten a spot with our 40' MH by coming in by Noon. Gorgeous lighthouse and a beach to yourself!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #4

I would add to plan for a little extra time for the drive each day. Many pull outs heading South with awesome views. We have made the drive several times in a 40ft MH towing. No issues.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fully agree with TwoGypsies and Jake 21. The rv park suggestions are great as well as many other parks along the way. Also, take extra time The scenery, towns, beaches, and pullouts are exceptional and you'll find yourself lost in time as you absorb the areas. Enjoy your upcoming great trip!
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

I just did 101 from ilwaco to Eureka (then had to start looping back up north)

It’s a great drive. Besides planning for opportunities to pull off along the way, keep in mind much of the route could still have lots of traffic even next month, so maybe plan for scenic and not covering miles. I’d definitely make reservations for your anticipated stops as soon as you have your plan nailed down.

Oh, and check out some of the lighthouses, too.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
101 thru the Redwoods is tight in a couple of places but very doable. I drive my 40 footer plus toad on this route 2 or 3 times a year. Just slow down and watch for oncoming traffic in the narrow spots. As mentioned, Ancient Redwoods RV Park is a great spot to explore the Redwoods from. If you haven't seen the Redwoods, you will be amazed at the size of the trees.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

take your time and obey the speed limits in all the small towns or you will be helping to keep oregon green
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #9

All suggestions very good, just allow plenty of time, some narrow sections can be slow. Lot of scenic town also that slow you down.
Just drove from Eureka to Ilwaco in 14 days, with some 2 or 3 day stops. Almost 500 miles! Driving days, about 7.
Campground space is going to be a problem, many state parks in Or that take reservations are full we found. Make yours as soon as you can.
Salmon Harbor Marina in Winchester Bay does not take reservations, seldom full but no hookups, has a dump station.
Lot of private campgrounds on route but expect to pay big, if they have space.
You may have better luck if you stop by 3pm, and beat the crowd.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #10

I will add a few more campground suggestions.

In Seaside, Circle Creek.

A short drive South to Tillamook, go West to Netarts Bay Garden Rv Park. Lovely place.

South of there is Newport and the Marina/RV Park. Rouge Brewery in the same parking lot. Ah, Camping and fresh brewed beer.

Winchester Bay RV Resort is Reedsport is a nice park.

Napa Valley Expo rv park is a great place in Napa.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #11

Richardson grove state park on 101 in garberville is beautiful. Narrow in spots, and nestled among the giant redwoods
Diesel_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
take your time and obey the speed limits in all the small towns or you will be helping to keep oregon green
Same in CA. They got some of my green on I-5 just a few days after we bought the present rig. Rig is much quieter and more HP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote