Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #1

Highway from Rock Springs, WY to Yellowstone RV Park at Mack’s Inn

I am sure many of you have traveled this route. Is the road ok for Class A coaches? The RV Park is in Island Park, ID. Looks like we should take hwy. 191/189 into ID. Then over to Idaho Springs then up to Island Park. Just wondering about any of the other roads or different way to get there.... Thanks in advance. If this info is somewhere else I apologize just send me to where I need to go.
DDB oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #2

191 to Hoback Junction to Alpine, WY then 26 to Idaho Springs or 26 to 31 to Victor and 33 to Tetonia and west to Rexburg, ID then north on ID 20. Very easy drive.

Don't go to Jackson and pick up 22 over Teton Pass to Victor. You won't like it.... 10% grade.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDB oklahoma View Post
I am sure many of you have traveled this route. Is the road ok for Class A coaches? The RV Park is in Island Park, ID. Looks like we should take hwy. 191/189 into ID. Then over to Idaho Springs then up to Island Park. Just wondering about any of the other roads or different way to get there.... Thanks in advance. If this info is somewhere else I apologize just send me to where I need to go.
Stayed there, Macks, just a few weeks ago and drove, RT 20, into the park on the road probably 10-12 times - it is fine.

We drove both Idaho and through Jackson and the Tetons - Jackson was a Zoo - so avoid if possible. Alpine was great!

As stated do not take on RT 22 it is more than most RV's want, the 10% grades are real.

To see the Tetons from Idaho is so different. While at Macks try to make time for a Sunset drive to the Top of Sawtelle Mountain - at 10,000 the view is Spectacular, to say the Least. (exceptional gravel road to the top)

All spots were crowded - more now than when we first arrived, so plan accordingly for the crowds, be sure to have reservations, otherwise it could be difficult.

Best of Luck and Enjoy,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
FYI, Post 1 and 2 identified "Idaho Falls" as "Idaho Springs"

We lived in Jackson - 4mi south of town on Hwy 191 actually - for 5 years and took all of our RV trips over Teton Pass. Perhaps we were just used to it, but it always seemed fine to us in our RV. Slow... sure, but no worries.

Idaho Falls was the nearest big city to Jackson and the 90 mile trips there were common. The only time we went to Alpine to get there was was when the pass was deep in snow and closed to traffic.

There's plenty of good National Forest camping all around Alpine and Thayne and Hoback. Of course, it's dry camping but really great places.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 11.58.22 AM.png
Views:	58
Size:	698.8 KB
ID:	294485  
Old 07-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
FYI, Post 1 and 2 identified "Idaho Falls" as "Idaho Springs"

There's plenty of good National Forest camping all around Alpine and Thayne and Hoback. Of course, it's dry camping but really great places.
Yikes! I know better that to miss-name Idaho Falls. Sorry! We've been around that area often.

Agreed about the many national forest campgrounds in the area but are they all open at this time with the virus? Best to check first.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:54 PM   #6

Thanks to all. We will head out a week from Monday. Maybe we will meet some of y’all along the way. Safe travels!
DDB oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park, yellowstone