Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hilton head to Traverse City... Which way???

We are in Hilton head SC and will be driving to traverse city MI and then on to upper Peninsula... anyone care to chime in which way is best? The gps spit out two ways.. I see both have mountains.. was just wondering which is better for class a diesel towing..flattest and safest with no twists n curves
Def want only interestates or like roads

Would appreciate any input. TIA
wetseal40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #2

I think I-75 to M-72. Little easier on stop and go. Roads are a little smoother on west side of state.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We traveled to Michigan from Virginia last year and will be in Ludington on Lake MI for a week or so this summer also. As this was our first trip there we took the PA and OH turnpikes. The PA turnpike has some minor mountains but up and downs weren't bad. OH was basically flat. No issues for our Class A Gas pulling a toad.

Exit in Toledo onto I280 to I75 north to Michigan. At the first exit on I280 is a Flyin J with RV lanes if you use them. You can also go a few more miles on OH turnpike to I475 and take that to US 23 which will take you "up north". Both are decent roads, US23 might have slightly less traffic.

If you do the turnpike I thought the EZ pass was the way to go and we picked up a NC EZ pass as they work with EZ Pass, Sun Pass and the Georgia Pass so it was a one stop shop.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
we live in central ohio, have traveled many times down thru hilton head area, and have traveled to traverse city.............the drive i would take covers numerous highways................here goes...............95 to 26 to 77 (thru columbia), 77 to cambridge ohio, 70 west to 270 around columbus, 23 north thru delaware, turns into 15 west for a short bit, pick up 75 north, 475 around toledo, 23 north, turns into 75 north, to 10, to 115, to 55 to 37, north into traverse city..............lots of highways, but easy drive.................safe travels
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Last Message was pretty much spot on. You just have to pay attention when you get off 77 and head into Ohio. Going around Columbus was cumbersome to say the least. 115 Over to Cadillac is a very scenic drive. Traverse City is a beautiful area as is Petoskey. Enjoy and safe travels

Toad 2011 Buick Enclave
Det Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

You're not going to have big mountains.... just traffic. You can't avoid curves. Everyplace has them except maybe Kansas. We volunteered 9 seasons at Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore just west of Traverse City. Absolutely beautiful part of the country. Explore the whole peninsula! The drive all the way to Petoskey through Charlevoix is gorgeous. Hope you have plans to spend a lot of time up there!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det Barney View Post
Last Message was pretty much spot on. You just have to pay attention when you get off 77 and head into Ohio. Going around Columbus was cumbersome to say the least. 115 Over to Cadillac is a very scenic drive. Traverse City is a beautiful area as is Petoskey. Enjoy and safe travels
det barney, you must have been referring to getting off 77 and heading up 33 to columbus......you are correct, that is a bit more confusing, but it is the SHORTEST way..............that is why i told them 77 to cambridge, then 70 west to columbus...............33 is a nice drive though.................we usually do 33, but have been driving those roads for decades....................
Old 05-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairway2002 View Post
I think I-75 to M-72. Little easier on stop and go. Roads are a little smoother on west side of state.
If you take US23 up to I94, you can head north on US127 at Jackson. This will normally have much less traffic than I75.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Which way?! from myrtle Be.. to Traverse City MI

Hello everyone,, Iam original poster... I am reading everyone’s responses... and appreciated all... HOWEVER I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!! I meant please help with directions from MYRTLE BEACH to Traverse City Michigan... UGH!

We are so trying to avoid cities yet stay only on interstates... trying to avoid any mountain driving as well.... I found from mrytle take 501 to 38 to 95 to 26 to 77..

Does this sound right? Am I going to run into hours of traffic? Thank you in advance....
Old 06-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetseal40 View Post
Hello everyone,, Iam original poster... I am reading everyone’s responses... and appreciated all... HOWEVER I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE!! I meant please help with directions from MYRTLE BEACH to Traverse City Michigan... UGH!

We are so trying to avoid cities yet stay only on interstates... trying to avoid any mountain driving as well.... I found from mrytle take 501 to 38 to 95 to 26 to 77..

Does this sound right? Am I going to run into hours of traffic? Thank you in advance....
bad choice.............you are going south when you want to go north if you go down 95 to 26 to 77..........you want to get to charlotte to pick up 77, not columbia................try this 501, 38, 9, 52, 74 to outerbelt round north part of charlotte, pick up 77..............then follow my previous suggestions..............
Old 06-01-2019, 04:34 AM   #11

When you go around Charlotte, be prepared for delays on the north side. I-77 from north Charlotte to Statesville, NC is a real quagmire these days.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #12

Use Google Maps to get choices of routes. The fastest, shortest is 1020 miles.... probably 3-4 nights if driving 300+ miles/day.

From Myrtle Beach:

I-74/I-77 to Silverton, West Virginia
Pick up 33 at the Ohio River to Columbus, Ohio
Take 270 around Columbus to 23 north
to I-75 at Findlay, Ohio
Pick up I-475 (left lane, Exit 192) to US23 north toward Ann Arbor, MI
Continue on 23 to I-75 north in Michigan
Take 72 west at Grayling, Michigan to Traverse City, MI
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #13

You have to main north-south routes. I-77 or I-75. I have driven both (although not recently) and I would say they are about equal, but if you take I-77 you miss Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkar View Post
If you take US23 up to I94, you can head north on US127 at Jackson. This will normally have much less traffic than I75.
DISAGREE ! If you take US-23 from I-90, go all the way to where it joins I-75 near Flint. Actually I-75 to I-275 to M-14 to US-23 is not bad as long as you are not during rush hour. Friday afternoon and evening are busy northbound north of Flint, but the rest of the week it is not that bad.