Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Houston

Left Lake Charles heading West towards San Antonio.
GPS kept me on 1-10 straight through Houston.
We were told to keep left and then take the right exit.
I kept left, signalled to change lanes to go right.......yes
the guy behind me swung out beside me and I could not take the exit.
We then looked at the mass amount of traffic as we headed
to downtown. The GPS added 35 minutes to our travel time.

My DW quietly said "I guess I can say we drove through Houston".

I did not feel too bad pushing our 40 footer towing a toad when
I saw all the semis negotiating the traffic. Just lets say I really did
not want to do this.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

we rarely follow interstates through the downtown of any large city regardless of what the GPS indicates unless our destination IS downtown or there is no other option. i'd rather drive 50-miles out of my way than fight traffic thru chicago, st louis, phoenix, hot-lanta, etc. we've found the roads are generally better using the bypass. indianapolis is a perfect example of that. sorry you got caught up in that.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #3

Unfortunately there really is not a better way to cross Houston east / west than taking I-10 straight through. The loop options don't help things much and add miles, the further out you go on loops the better the traffic gets, but the more miles you add. The 3rd ring out from the center of Houston is currently under construction, a 180+ mile long loop, by the name of the Grand Parkway, which is yet another toll road, the north half is now open, with the south half expected to be open by 2021. Just for comparison the 2nd loop out Beltway 8 / Sam Houston Parkway is only 88 miles long, it was completed 2011 as an expressway. The inner most loop is I-610, is 38 miles long often has significant traffic delays and all major interchanges, I-610 was completed in the mid 1970's though has been widened and upgraded significantly since then.

p.s. for future references when traveling between points east of Mobile, Al and points west of El Paso TX, taking Hwy 98 and Hwy 49 (both major US highways) across Mississippi to I-10 only adds 18 miles to the trip, I-20 skirts the south side of the DFW metroplex so has relatively little city driving, it also avoids the mess of Baton Rouge, and San Antonio.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going through Houston and San Antonio can be great fun. Went through Houston westbound on I 10 on a Sunday morning a few years ago at 65 mph the whole length.

Told my wife that would never happen again!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:02 AM   #5

I agree if you time it right, particularly on Sunday mornings, you can have 9 lanes of of interstate almost to yourself.

Or if you time it wrong, particularly during the week you can have this:

Bragging rights or embarrassment? Katy Freeway at Beltway 8 is world's widest - Houston Chronicle
Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 AM   #6

The best and probably ONLY time to travel through Houston with a motorhome and toad is between 6am and 7am on a Sunday morning. It's still somewhat congested but at least the traffic is moving and you can change lanes if needed.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
...for future references when traveling between points east of Mobile, Al and points west of El Paso TX, taking Hwy 98 and Hwy 49 (both major US highways) across Mississippi to I-10 only adds 18 miles to the trip, I-20 skirts the south side of the DFW metroplex so has relatively little city driving, it also avoids the mess of Baton Rouge, and San Antonio.
we'll be heading west on I-10 from Florida to Phoenix next February. as I wrote in an earlier response to this thread I'd rather drive 50-miles out of my way than sit in traffic. my plan for Houston was to take SR8. the Sam Houston Parkway either north or south around the city. can't tell at this point what day of the week or what time we'd be doing this.

your alternate suggestion is interesting. I'm guessing you're suggesting US 98 NE from Mobile to US 49 to I-20 and then on to I-10, right? Wouldn't I-10 to I-49 at Lafayette (where we are planning an overnight stop) to I-20 be an acceptable alternative? My concern is finding open RV parks along the way and staying out of the cold as much as possible. Our tanks will be de-winterized.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

I-49 from Lafayette to Shreveport will work ok too, though it does add a few more miles, and you have to deal with the Baton Rouge mess (avoid rush hour) The roads in Baton Rouge tend to come to a standstill for a couple of hours every weekday morning and afternoon, the Population of Baton Rouge nearly doubled overnight after Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005, and since then there have been few upgrades to the major roadways, and no good options on building new ones. Finding open RV parks should not be a problem year round in Louisiana, though many / most of the ones in the SW part of the state are filled with contractors due to multiple BIG industrial projects going on. In fact they are building new contractor RV parks left and right in the area, I know of 5 or 6 that have popped up this year, some with hundreds of RV spaces.

Overall I49 is usually a good highway to drive with little traffic and good lane condition, though there are few fuel stops, etc. along the route. The only RV park I can comment on along that section of I-49 is Home - Ajax Country Livin' RV Park overall I would say it was fair for an overnight stay, except for the long term resident that drove in at 2 am when were there with no muffler on his truck. There is a sawmill or something similar about 1/2 mile away, though it did not disturb us the night we spent there last spring (its about 100 miles from home for us).
Old 11-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I-49 from Lafayette to Shreveport will work ok too, though it does add a few more miles, and you have to deal with the Baton Rouge mess (avoid rush hour) The roads in Baton Rouge tend to come to a standstill for a couple of hours every weekday morning and afternoon, the Population of Baton Rouge nearly doubled overnight after Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005, and since then there have been few upgrades to the major roadways, and no good options on building new ones. Finding open RV parks should not be a problem year round in Louisiana, though many / most of the ones in the SW part of the state are filled with contractors due to multiple BIG industrial projects going on. In fact they are building new contractor RV parks left and right in the area, I know of 5 or 6 that have popped up this year, some with hundreds of RV spaces.

Overall I49 is usually a good highway to drive with little traffic and good lane condition, though there are few fuel stops, etc. along the route. The only RV park I can comment on along that section of I-49 is Home - Ajax Country Livin' RV Park overall I would say it was fair for an overnight stay, except for the long term resident that drove in at 2 am when were there with no muffler on his truck. There is a sawmill or something similar about 1/2 mile away, though it did not disturb us the night we spent there last spring (its about 100 miles from home for us).
thanks, Isaac. good to know about Baton Rouge and all of the construction issues so we may very well elect to take 98/49 to I-20 and then over to 10. can you tell me about SR8/Sam Houston parkway? the extra miles and tolls aren't a concern but the colder weather up towards Dallas is. average low temps in Houston during February is 46 but only 35 in Dallas. what kind of traffic am I likely to encounter on SR8?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We live 40 miles South of Houston and To get anywhere quickly driving through Houston is a must. Best time during the week is between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. or 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Those are the time everyone is "at work," and traffic is lightest. As stated, Sunday early morning is good.

Here is the crux of it. As long as there is not a major accident drive time through Houston during normal rush hour will add 15 minutes driving time.

There are ways around if you don't mind traffic light stops. Hwy 105 from Beaumont to Navasota is a good road. Once at Navasota you just need to follow any of the highways to get back to I-10. Just look at a map and follow the lines :-).

Okay, for those thinking of taking Beltway 8 the East side of Houston, Beltway 8, is Texas EZTAG only. There are no toll booths. The South West side of beltway 8 still has toll booths. If you plan on traveling BW-8 on your travels it would behoove you to pick up an EZTag for the windshield. Otherwise, use I-10, it really is not that bad. Once you get on the West side of Houston around BW-8 on I-10 there are 5 lanes of traffic and in Katy 8 lines of traffic. After Brookshire it goes down to 2 lanes of I-10.

p.s., Highway 105 has RV parks along the way for night stops.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

It really is hit or miss on the weather, though Feb and you are getting into prime fog season between Beaumont and Houston, it tends to burn off by noon, but there are exceptions. So yes you get the on average warmer coastal weather until you get west of Houston taking I-10, you also risk pea soup fog. A few years ago there was a 100+ vehicle pile up on that section of I-10 on Christmas eve or Christmas day, this fog is caused when cold air from a front meets the warm water of Galveston bay. There is no real reason to make plans in advance for this, there will be plenty of places to stop for the night that time of year, so the best option may be to look at the weather forecast a couple of days out and decide, also don't forget to check the wind forecast, it can really blow in north and west Texas that time of year.

p.s. I agree TX 105 is a good option to bypass Houston, though much of it is 2 lane country highway, I will probably be driving it next week.