Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

Houston to Castaic, CA.

Well, it looks like we’re going to California again.

We will be driving from Houston to Castaic, CA.

I’ve driven I-10 and I-40 approximately a bazillion times.

Ive driven our 40’ DP towing, and our 45’ DP towing through LA traffic. Loads of fun! The last time was so entertaining that at 0300 my dog was hiding his head under my legs coming down the Grapevine.

So, here is the challenge..

..how to arrive in Castaic, without navigating LA traffic?

I’m concerned about the weather, because in the winter I-40 and roads north of the San Bernardino Mountains can get hammered with bad weather.

If the weather holds, I can angle to I-40 from the jump and go to Palmdale then over.

Or, if this doesn’t look prudent, I’m contemplating I-10 to Blythe, then go up 95 to 62, then 247 to 18 and through Palmdale. The advantage here is I can hedge the weather issue until the last minute, and it’s a route I’ve never used.

The northern route costs about 80 miles, which is not an issue. Mountains aren’t an issue either. I’m more concerned with any feedback of the route or portions of it for a large coach.

Thanks,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

I am from LA and now live in Houston. I routinely drive home to LA and our next trip is at the end of the year. I typically stay on I 10 all the way out this time of year. Once I reach San Bernardino, I hang out until late night and then I make my way thru the city via 210 all the way to the 5. I like night driving and its much easier navigating traffic late at night.
reese1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Used to live in Castaic, my route would be I10 to 95, but take 95 to I40. At Mohave take Hwy 14 south to Hwy 138 W to I5 S down the hill to Castaic. I was through Castaic just before Thanksgiving and there was construction through the Newhall pass southbound. Not sure if Northbound was affected.

Glenn
Old 12-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

Glenn, do you recommend that to avoid Palmdale?

I remember driving the Pearblossom Hwy a very long time ago and recall it was pretty slow.

Your suggestion is in line with what I’m trying to achieve.

I’ve done the midnight passage through LA several times with mixed results.

The last time I was on 210 east at 0300 and the freeway was completely shut down. I really don’t know if there is a magic solution.

Thanks for the great suggestions guys.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes you will have very little traffic on that route. The last couple times I ran I10 the traffic was bad, never a problem on I40 and no weather worries in CA. You will hit traffic in PHX and Tucson on I10. In PHX I take I17 around south PHX to avoid traffic in downtown. Also some people say they take AZ 93 from PHX up to I40 as a better route. I have never done that and don't know how you catch 93 in PHX. Maybe someone else can give info on that.

Glenn
Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #6

I typically get on I 8 at the cutoff by Casa Grande and then Hwy 85 at Gila Bend north to rejoin I 10. Phoenix congestion gets worse all the time.