RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
We don't usually travel in the summer, but we really need a trip.

Our plan (for now) leave out mid to late July and head west from the Myrtle Beach area. We'll stop off in B'ham to visit family and from there begin the trip. We don't boondock so we will be staying in commercial parks along with state and national parks.

1. Work our way up to I-40 head west with no real stops with a detour up to Tulsa.
2. From Tulsa west to Cheyenne, OK. We visited in 2018 but it was raining so bad we missed most of the park.
3. Santa Fe, NM
4. Mesa Verde NP, CO
5. Petrified Forest (that is a maybe)
6, Albuquerque, NM
7 Carlsbad Cavern NP, NM (we plan to slow down in Roswell to look for aliens)
8. Big Bend NP
9. Seminole Canyon SP
10. Loredo & Corpus Christi (Scenic Route)
11. League City and Galveston (we ran out of time last year when visiting the Johnson Space Center)
12 - Head home, probably stopping in either Montgomery or Savannah for a couple of nights before returning home. We will of course have to find a place between Texas and Georgia for one or two nights.

Looks like it will be about 5,300 miles and we plan to be back home by Sept 17.

So most important question, recommendations for hiking boots that are snake bite proof?

How are the mountains in the southern part of Colorado?
Any route recommendations from Corpus Christi to League City/ Galveston area? We would rather avoid Houston.

and -

How blinking hot will it be?

TOO BLINKING HOT!
Great Winter Trip you have Planned. -

I see you are from South Carolina - you are pretty close to the Snake Bite Capital of the USofA "North Carolina - North Carolina leads the country for SNAKE BITES!."

So while the need for snake bite boots may be critical in the South East - not so much in the West. Most important thing with Hiking Boots is a firm Sole and a Great Fit, they need to be so Comfortable that you would wear them around the House. JMHO. -

I will applaud you for trying to get into Colorado - Issue is, Mesa Verde is HOT in the Summer, tried, just missed the mark with the Location - look at suggestions I think I made on a Great Colorado Trip in and earlier post. Use the Elevation and Get to Where people Enjoy the Out Of Doors. (and their Hiking Boots)`

Get off/away from/north of I-40 and Use I-70 or RT 36 and get to the Rockies and use the elevation to stay Cool all Summer.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #16

There are several states that will be locked down until a vaccine or something close. Michigan is likely to be locked down for quite some time according to the Gov.
When and if you go to Michigan I would add the lighthouse on Lake Huron near Tawas. It's typically ran by Campworkers.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Great Winter Trip you have Planned. -

I see you are from South Carolina - you are pretty close to the Snake Bite Capital of the USofA "North Carolina - North Carolina leads the country for SNAKE BITES!."

So while the need for snake bite boots may be critical in the South East - not so much in the West. Most important thing with Hiking Boots is a firm Sole and a Great Fit, they need to be so Comfortable that you would wear them around the House. JMHO. -

I will applaud you for trying to get into Colorado - Issue is, Mesa Verde is HOT in the Summer, tried, just missed the mark with the Location - look at suggestions I think I made on a Great Colorado Trip in and earlier post. Use the Elevation and Get to Where people Enjoy the Out Of Doors. (and their Hiking Boots)`

Get off/away from/north of I-40 and Use I-70 or RT 36 and get to the Rockies and use the elevation to stay Cool all Summer.

Best of Luck,
I think the original trip will be when we finally get to go to the Tournament of Roses Parade, probably leave home in Dec 2022.

Growing up in Virginia during the summer the copperheads would travel from the wetland area that would dry out to the pond, by way of our yard. I have a very healthy, ie phobic, fear of snakes. It is not rational. It will not go away. I accept it and avoid being where they are.

The first sign I saw when we entered the great state of Texas was a warning about snakes. When we traveled further into the great state of Texas and parts of the southwest they included scorpions on the sign. While in the lovely state of Louisiana we were greeted with warning about bears and alligators. I wonder why we tend to museums and historic sites on our journeys?
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Great info,

We went back to the drawing board, aka RV Trip Wizard, saved the southern travels for a future trip west and looked north.

Seems much of what we came up with mirrors RickNC's route. Much still depends on pent up demand, how many road warriors will be out in late summer and have the same idea as we have about seeing the great outdoors.

If you are planning on being in the Badlands, Mount Rushmore region. Take a look at Theodore Roosevelt NP it is about 270 miles north of Mt Rushmore. Looks pretty interesting. We are scratching Yellowstone and going there instead. It gets much less use and appears to have a good variety of hiking opportunities.

https://www.nps.gov/thro/planyourvis...nformation.htm
Old 05-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
I like 2 gypsies idea of upper Michigan. If you go you have to stop in Hell Michigan, just so you can say you been there and back.

We are going north and west. DW wants to see kentucky horse country so we are heading there first.
Attachment 283477
If you can you can get a site at The Kentucky Horse Park. If not some good parks around there. Plus in Lexington Ken. you can see Transylvania University. Not really special, just the name is great. But in the area are several horse farms Caliborne Farms (Secretariat and Seabiscuit lived there), Caliumet Farms, and more. You can spend all day at the Horse Park just watching the horses.
Stop in Cincinnati and see some great sites, Great American ballpark, Paul Brown Stadium, Newport Aquarium, etc..... In Louisville you can see Muhammad Ali birthplace, Louisville Slugger Bat company, Kentucky Speedway and of course Churchill Downs. Kentucky Horse Country, you must see Churchill Downs.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
If you can you can get a site at The Kentucky Horse Park. If not some good parks around there. Plus in Lexington Ken. you can see Transylvania University. Not really special, just the name is great. But in the area are several horse farms Caliborne Farms (Secretariat and Seabiscuit lived there), Caliumet Farms, and more. You can spend all day at the Horse Park just watching the horses.

Stop in Cincinnati and see some great sites, Great American ballpark, Paul Brown Stadium, Newport Aquarium, etc..... In Louisville you can see Muhammad Ali birthplace, Louisville Slugger Bat company, Kentucky Speedway and of course Churchill Downs. Kentucky Horse Country, you must see Churchill Downs.

Thanks for that advise! I looked at the Kentucky Horse Park last night. not accepting any camping right now but hopefully by mid July the camping will open back up. Last year we stayed at Elkhorn, for two nights while we we explored around Frankfort.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Thanks for that advise! I looked at the Kentucky Horse Park last night. not accepting any camping right now but hopefully by mid July the camping will open back up. Last year we stayed at Elkhorn, for two nights while we we explored around Frankfort.
Forgot to tell you about the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patt airbase in Dayton Ohio.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #22

Kentucky Horse Park is great. I think we stayed at Whispering Hills RV Park in Georgetown.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
Kentucky Horse Park is great. I think we stayed at Whispering Hills RV Park in Georgetown.
We have friends that have a seasonal there at Whispering Hills, they keep trying to talk us into coming down from Wilmington, Ohio for a couple of days. Maybe after this thing slows down we will visit for a couple of days
Old 05-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #24

Looks like we are going to mosey on up to the opposite end of the country. Instead of Big Bend we're going to visit Theodore Roosevelt in ND, plus a few more as we head south from there. On the way we are stopping in to visit relatives in Birmingham, Louisville, and Omaha. So much depends on the crowds and what is open.

I noticed things like the Homestead National Monument in Nebraska only has the outside areas open. What would have been worth an over night in the area will now be a couple of hours stop.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #25

This may help in your planning but then, things are changing constantly.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...tem-whats-open
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I see you are going to Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado. You should consider Monument Valley ( Oljato-Monument Valley, Utah) about 150 mi west. It was one of the best surprises we encountered in one of you trips out west. Two distinctive geological features found within the Monument Valley are the Mittens. Many Western movies with John Wayne were made there. Also the road where Forest Gump in the move Forest Gump stop his run and returned home. You can drive through the valley, Beautiful. You will need a toad or take a tour in a Tribal Jeep.

https://navajonationparks.org/tribal...nument-valley/

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #27

Monument Valley is great but right now they're closed until June 8. The Navajo Nation is having a very difficult time right now with COVID 19 cases. The town of Gallop NM was even closed.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Looks like we are going to mosey on up to the opposite end of the country. Instead of Big Bend we're going to visit Theodore Roosevelt in ND, plus a few more as we head south from there. On the way we are stopping in to visit relatives in Birmingham, Louisville, and Omaha. So much depends on the crowds and what is open.

I noticed things like the Homestead National Monument in Nebraska only has the outside areas open. What would have been worth an over night in the area will now be a couple of hours stop.
Charming,

May want to start a new post as this is substantially a Different Trip now.

JMHO,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote