Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #29

I'm also looking at a roll up sunscreen. Haven't driven the new MH that much in high heat to see how well the AC works while driving. Going to Mammoth in mid June so we will have the opportunity then. The heat is what seems to bother me the most. It's one of the reasons we bought the new MH. I am going to go by the tint place on Wednesday to see the 3M products. High heat would limit my miles per day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
We also have to multiply the time "it should take" with the TCF. (Tillman Conversion Factor).

Right now that runs about 2.5.

We never rush any more in the AM, absent some compelling reason, so our departures usually fall between 10 and 12. That being the case, our daily jaunt is usually no more than 200 to 250, depending on stops or other interesting stuff. We like to be all set up in daylight. The only difficult time is winter travel, when it may be dark by 4:30-5:00.

Tillman Conversion Factor-- I like that! I'll file it right next to Avogadro's Number and Planck's Constant!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #31

After 300 miles in a day, its stops being fun for me. I also don't like to do more than two long driving days in a row. I recently did 3,000 miles in four days because I had to get home, but it wasn't enjoyable, especially on the third and fourth day.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post

I'm 72, 8 fused vertebrae few other things. We have a CRV toad. I'm not going to drive over 60 mph. We take breaks when we feel like it. Rather under due than over due.
Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! ...Feminist Opinion on the way.

Just wanted to say, Forest Grump, that it's time for DW/spouse to learn to drive the rig. Especially w/your fused vertebra... You have no bidness sitting that long in one stretch! Of course, you'll have to learn how NOT to stress out while she's behind the wheel. If you learn how to do this, let me know!

Sally & I would take the RV out when we first got it just to learn how to position it on the road, changing lanes, getting used to stopping distance, crosswinds, etc. It was a (sexist) Herculean effort to keep my mouth shut and let her deal with her own learning curve... But I did it and we are both better for it. We're fortunate that we have plenty of rural two-lane, four-lane and Interstate highways out here. Sally still refuses to drive through cities and flyover interchanges (she calls them "loops"), but out on the open road, particularly west of the Mississippi, I actually catch a snooze from time to time!

Meanwhile, to your OP: For me, the miles-driven-in-a-day = time frame for the trip. Going to Burning Man, I plan longer driving stretches and, ergo, longer stopovers, cuz we're going to be out in the high desert for at least a week... The destination is the thing. Coming home, I will drive 'til I'm bleary-eyed (NOT recommended!) so we can get back in 4-5 days. Other times, it can take us 4 days to travel 300 miles... Alabama has such interesting little towns that I just can't pass 'em up!

Like cwsqbm said: If it stops being fun, you're doing it wrong!
Old 05-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #33

From what I gather from most of you from 200 to 300 miles per day maybe 350. I figure I can do 300 in 6 hours of driving, 350 in 7 so I am going to try to do that but stop every couple hours, eat drink, be merry, hit the john, walk around the coach.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 AM   #34

We take a break every 1-2 hours depending on when a place to get over comes up. At least get out and walk around the towed checking all the tires and connections while stretching legs and working out the kinks. If I don't I can stiffen up to where I cannot walk very well. She takes the dog for a similar walk. Time to refresh beverages and lose the last one. 10 minutes well spent. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #35

I did 850 miles one time in a car (Eau Claire to Miles City) and I know I never want to drive 15 hours again. I'm retired now and we don't go much over 200 miles a day, most times 180 miles a day. Younger and needing to make time I can see the need to make long distances. But when you get older and don't usually need to be anywhere in particular it sure is nice to take one's time.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #36

300 - 350 miles a day is my goal. I can and will do 600 - 650 if in a hurry. When I do less and lolly-gag it just seems to take way too long.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #37

I have driven from Bakersfield CA to Waterloo, IA nonstop, pulling a jet boat and in a car with no brakes. But I was young and stupid then. Now I am older and still stupid but I get sore and tired.

I'll stop when I'm tired,
Old 05-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We try to keep it between 250 and 300 miles per day, two or three stops for stretching, lunch, etc. We drive 60 MPH on 4-lane and 55 on secondary roads.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #39

We're in the 300-350 miles per day group. We have done more if absolutely necessary, but sure try not to. If we have to have a day with more miles than usual, the next day will be shorter.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #40

I re-thought my previous answer of 300 - 350 miles. It depends on the time of year. Last year I waited too long to drive to Florida. We traveled starting Dec 7th thru Dec 11 to cover just 1,000 miles for just 250/day due to the very early darkness. We tried to pull into the campgrounds for the night while it was still light.

I really dislike travel in December...ugh.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I are retired so things have slowed down a bit. In our motorhome I average 60-63mph on the freeways and 55-60 on 2 lanes. Our daily average is 250-300 miles. The way I work it is by making reservations at an RV park ahead of time. I set my parks up between 250 and 300 miles apart and go from there. I always try getting to the park before dark so set up is in the daylight. We leave around 8-9 AM the next day.

Having two pups with small bladders ensures we stop every 2 hours or so and let them take care of business while I stretch, get a cold drink, a snack, or rest my eyes for a bit. 250 miles is almost ideal, but like I said, I reserve RV parks in advance so I have a natural mandatory stop time. In really hot weather I may plan on 200 mile days. Not so much for the engine and tires, they do quite well, but for my own body. Nothing drains me like bright sun in my eyes and hot air to greet you every time you open the cab door.

4PM at the camp site, feed the dogs, eat by 6 and then watch a movie before calling it a night, or read a bit. With a bad back I wouldn't push it too hard. You'll pay for it in the long haul. JMHO
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:41 AM   #42

For me its averaging 300 miles a day with stops along the way. If I wanted to get there any faster its a plane ride. Besides I want to be in a cg before the sun goes down. It does take some getting used to but well worth it as I get older.