Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
How is CO Highway 69?

Wondering is Colorado Highway 69 traveling northwest from I-25 to US Highway 50 is a decent alternative to just going up to Pueblo on I-25 and catching US 50?

Look as though CO 69 would cut off a few miles. Traveling in a Class C with toad.

Thanks for your insight.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It's been a few years since I drove that route. It was a little bit bumpy and winding in places but not a bad road then. It's not a very wide roadway but it does avoid Pueblo traffic.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
CO69 from Walsenburg to US50 at Texas Creek is a good road. No significant grades although there is a construction project near Westcliffe that may cause some delays.

The miles saved by going CO69 VS I25 through Pueblo are not many and the construction delays may make it take longer.

CO69 is pretty drive though!
Old 08-15-2020, 10:40 PM   #4

I called it a bad mistake when we turned off Hwy 50 on to Hwy 69 on our way from Buena Vista to Raton. It looked nice and a bit shorter on the map, but for us it seemed like the bumpiest, harshest road we have ever driven. It was also narrow and winding, but that wasn't bad. It was pretty and would have been a very good route if not for the harsh ride. At some point it did get better and turned into a nice ride, about half way along. If you are in a smooth riding motorhome or truck the route will be Okay, but I was concerned about my expensive dental fillings being jarred out.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
I called it a bad mistake when we turned off Hwy 50 on to Hwy 69 on our way from Buena Vista to Raton. It looked nice and a bit shorter on the map, but for us it seemed like the bumpiest, harshest road we have ever driven. It was also narrow and winding, but that wasn't bad. It was pretty and would have been a very good route if not for the harsh ride. At some point it did get better and turned into a nice ride, about half way along. If you are in a smooth riding motorhome or truck the route will be Okay, but I was concerned about my expensive dental fillings being jarred out.
Thanks,
While I’m always up for some great scenery off the beaten path, the rough ride doesn’t sound good! When did you travel along the bumpy highway?
Old 08-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
While I’m always up for some great scenery off the beaten path, the rough ride doesn’t sound good! When did you travel along the bumpy highway?
We were on our way back home in Nacogdoches, TX a few weeks ago from a month long tour of CO; which we enjoyed very much. We took the Hwy 69 "shortcut" Monday, August 3rd; getting on at Texas Creek. When we got to Westcliffe we almost took another highway just to get off the horrible road, but I stopped on the main street and went in to a ladies Beauty Shop that had the front door open and the nice lady inside told us that the road changed into a good road about 20 miles further up so we stayed on 69. She was right, thankfully! So it looks like about half the route was rough and the second half was smooth and scenic. We saw two large herds of buffalo on the good half and one section of road where eagles were plentiful.
There was construction at one point where we had to stop, but we welcomed the rest so we could collect ourselves and see if any damage had been done from things being jarred loose. All was OK.
Always good to see other Texans enjoying their travels. Where is home in Texas?
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks all for your insight!

As tempting as it might be, looks like we'll skip Hwy 69.

We live in the DFW area and head west next week
Old 08-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Depending on where you are headed in CO, an alternate route is Hwy 160 from Walsenburg to Alamosa then north on Hwy 17 to US 285. It's only about 20 miles longer than Hwy 69 but shorter than going to Pueblo. We just came that way and the roads were good.

If you are going west toward Gunnison, you can go to Monte Vista, then north on 285 to Saguache then west on Hwy 114 back to Hwy 50. That bypasses Monarch Pass and the drive is nice. It's just two lane with some passes and the last 12 miles or so winds through a scenic canyon. We just went that way four weeks ago and it was passable all the way.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If you are going west toward Gunnison, you can go to Monte Vista, then north on 285 to Saguache then west on Hwy 114 back to Hwy 50. That bypasses Monarch Pass and the drive is nice. It's just two lane with some passes and the last 12 miles or so winds through a scenic canyon. We just went that way four weeks ago and it was passable all the way.
My dad would summer up in Gunnison, and that's the route he'd take in his 40' Dutch Star.