Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #15

It is my understanding that the problem arises with health care and pensions, when one overstays their 6 months. But what do I know, Im native American.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #16

We are Canadians currently in the States and have been for 9 months heading home in 2 weeks, when we crossed the border they stapled a slip of paper in our passport that said we had to be out of the US in 6 months but you can file a I 539 form and send it in while in the States to ask for an extension, that's what we did and it was granted. Cost is $290 to file.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-539.pdf
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
We are Canadians currently in the States and have been for 9 months heading home in 2 weeks, when we crossed the border they stapled a slip of paper in our passport that said we had to be out of the US in 6 months but you can file a I 539 form and send it in while in the States to ask for an extension, that's what we did and it was granted. Cost is $290 to file.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-539.pdf
How did they treat your health insurance and pension? Or didn't you care?
bsvirginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
If you are from Ontario you can be out of province/country for 212 days with no further requirement. Beyond that you need to go to their Office and request permission so you do not loose your coverage. Just a thought we did this last year (leave in Oct and return by May) to help out our situation we flew home at christmas and warehoused our motorhome in Florida. That way we lowered our days away in the year/annum and refreshed out travel coverage. We did the cost pro's/con's of flights/warehousing/to go home vs paying top up insurance/US extension. It was cheaper to just fly home for christmas.
LCOVECAMELOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsvirginian View Post
How did they treat your health insurance and pension? Or didn't you care?
In British Columbia you can apply to be absent from the province for 24 months and still maintain your medical but only once every five years, every province has different rules for health insurance and as for pension I don't know I'm too young.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #20

How does a Canadian get health care in the USA
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Who keeps track if how long you spend in US?
The nice people in immigration are supposed to do that, but they do sometimes loose track is our experience. We are Europeans and we are allowed "only" 3 months at a time. We are also "only" allowed to spend "less than ½ a year" in the US in anyone year. If this is per calender year or any given 12 months is not clear to us.

It used to be easy but sadly, for various reasons, it's not at all easy any more. We used to be able to go just across the border into Canada or Mexico and then come back for our "second term of 3 month", but that is not acceptable any more. We will need to leave North America completely and stay away for an unspecified length of time.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
People from Europe can buy a travel insurance that will cover us whatever happens. We are normally covered for 2 month at a time in the US with a basic "world wide travel insurance". When staying for an extra month (up to our total allowance) we can add the extra month for a relative small amount of money.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Our provincial medical plan covers us but only to a certain amount which is usually to low for the US, so we buy extended travel medical insurance. I use the one offered by BCAA which is our equivalent to AAA.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Who keeps track if how long you spend in US?
It's probably available to the border guards on their computers. When we crossed last time they scanned our passports, fingerprinted us and even had us do a retinal scan of our eyes. Who knows what scans happen that we don't know about.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ties and Equities

When we Canadians cross the border to USA for the winter, be sure to have with you, the paperwork to prove your ties and equities to Canada.
I got refused last year because I didn't have the paperwork to back up the answers I gave them.
What they deem ties and equities are things like:
-leases
-home ownership
-utility bills
-a job
-proof of sufficient funds

I went back to Canada, photocopied the appropriate documents and crossed two days later with no issues.
And the border guy told me that the 6 month stay is not necessarily etched in stone from an immigration perspective. He told us that your length of stay in the USA is what they tell you it can be, not what you think you are entitled to.