Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #15

This is a general statement about driving through big cities.

Take the direct route, straight through downtown, but no early, before 6AM, go late after 8PM. Depending on the city, late morning or early afternoon might not be to bad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2023, 11:44 PM   #16

Since you're trying to follow Hwy 60 east to Illinois here's some info on the highway in Arizona:

Once you get across Phoenix.... you'll have a climb out of Apache Jct. and between Miami & Superior you'll first have a tunnel & no problem... semi trucks drive this ... then a 6% for 7 miles downhill but several places where it eases up and then 1 mi uphill. There are 45 mph curves.

The Salt River Canyon will be next. Northbound from Globe to Show Low you'll have several long uphill grades and one long descent. The long descent is to the river at the bottom of the canyon. You'll have about 8 mi. of downhill with 6% grade - 25/35mph curves the last 5 miles. At the river there's a huge rest stop with plenty of parking - gorgeous place! Then you'll have a long uphill to Show Low

That said.... we've driven it many times with a 5th wheel and a motorhome. It's an extremely popular RV route to the 'high country' of AZ for summer camping.

If you decide on taking I-17 north from Phoenix to Flagstaff this is what you'll find: You'll have a climb right away. Then at the top is a brake check area for truckers at MM 280. You'll have 6% grade for 7 miles and a runaway truck ramp at MM 283 on the left at 2 1/4 mi down. The grade eases to 4-5% at Camp Verde. Then you'll have climb all the way to Flagstaff. We drive this route if heading north to Utah.

With the downhills always get into low gear before heading down; not in the midst. Then you won't have to use your brakes much.

My choice would be Hwy 60.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
This is a general statement about driving through big cities.

Take the direct route, straight through downtown, but no early, before 6AM, go late after 8PM. Depending on the city, late morning or early afternoon might not be to bad.
I wouldn't want to do this in Phoenix with a fifth wheel, when you get to the inner city the lanes are narrow in some places and they tend to wander, and there is construction and damaged pavement pretty much all the time. The bypasses are nice and wide and don't add much time.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I wouldn't want to do this in Phoenix with a fifth wheel, when you get to the inner city the lanes are narrow in some places and they tend to wander, and there is construction and damaged pavement pretty much all the time. The bypasses are nice and wide and don't add much time.
We have done all the bypasses and driven straight through many times on I-10 with our 35' fiver. I don't really see much difference, but we do prefer 202 when it fits our destination.
I do not enjoy the tunnel with the pink lights Very disorienting for me for some reason...
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 08:32 AM   #19

On our normal journeys going to and from CA we take the southern loop with no problems.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:05 PM   #20

We left Sun City last Saturday mid morning. Took the 101 to I 10 EB. came thru PHX with no issues. During the week though, a crapshoot for sure.
There was a lane closure around the 202, but no slowdown.

Tim
Old 04-05-2023, 11:05 PM   #21

I made it to the next stop, tomorrow I'm going to try to make it into New Mexico, I hope the steep hills and a
few switchbacks I see on the map ahead are no worse than the descending switchbacks on US 191 in Utah between Flaming Gorge and Vernal UT they were loads of fun 😊☺️ if my RAM diesel didn't have an exhaust brake my brakes would have been toasty at the bottom. It did have a pull out about half way down. I don't know what the elevation change was but it was thousands of feet according to wiki the 191 summit is 10000". I thought I was going to reach the center of the earth when it stopped dropping.
Drifter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter66 View Post
I made it to the next stop, tomorrow I'm going to try to make it into New Mexico, I hope the steep hills and a

few switchbacks I see on the map ahead are no worse than the descending switchbacks on US 191 in Utah between Flaming Gorge and Vernal UT they were loads of fun [emoji4][emoji3526] if my RAM diesel didn't have an exhaust brake my brakes would have been toasty at the bottom. It did have a pull out about half way down. I don't know what the elevation change was but it was thousands of feet according to wiki the 191 summit is 10000". I thought I was going to reach the center of the earth when it stopped dropping.
Congrats on getting through Phoenix. Since this entire thread has been about route details, mind sharing what route you took and what you experienced?
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter66 View Post
few switchbacks I see on the map ahead are no worse than the descending switchbacks on US 191 in Utah between Flaming Gorge and Vernal UT they were loads of fun 😊☺️ if my RAM diesel didn't have an exhaust brake my brakes would have been toasty at the bottom. It did have a pull out about half way down. I don't know what the elevation change was but it was thousands of feet according to wiki the 191 summit is 10000". I thought I was going to reach the center of the earth when it stopped dropping.
We've done Utah's 191, also. You were going downhills in the range of 8-9%. Fun! Fun!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:33 PM   #24

Duplicate deleted
Old 04-06-2023, 10:38 PM   #25

How I made it. Almost had a battle for the Lane I was already in

Had a few issues with traffic because the entrance to 202 off 10 was confusing I didn't know I needed to get into the HOV lane to follow the GPS, anyway I took 60 to 303 then I10 I was supposed to get on 202 but as mentioned above I couldn't do it. So I continued to get back on US 60 all before noon. The only real issue with traffic was a Semi that was pushing me over as he was entering I10 !!! He saw me I had eye contact with him if the truck in the lane to my left didn't hold back I would have been a sandwich between 2 semi's �� after that it was just traffic until 60 left the city an nice drive to Superior AZ I have the trucker that didn't care if I couldn't move over on my dashcam. I had a few choice words to say afterwards no children in range, w
That's a scary situation being almost as big as a Semi and getting caught in a situation like that. I drove heavy duty wreckers for over 30 years in Jacksonville FL till about 2004 (yes I'm rusty been a while) the number of less than desirable drivers have certainly increased since then. Jacksonville is a large city like Phoenix lots of tourists heading to Disney and Miami.

I left about 10am Fueled up $6 a gallon for diesel (yea it was price gouging) at a shell station nearby. Had a weird issue with the very reliable RAM 2500 the power steering and brakes went out for a few seconds as it was turning onto 303 off 60? Yes I was worried but it didn't happen again? I can't find anything wrong all fluids are good I stay on top of everything in this truck. Now I hope it doesn't happen on 60 heading to NM tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230406-213305.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	389734  
Old 04-09-2023, 04:13 PM   #26

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
I would avoid US60 east bound out of Phoenix to Show Low pulling the fifth wheel. The Salt River Canyon east of Globe AZ is a pretty long steep grade down and out. Based on your location I would take the 303 over to I-17 and head North to Flagstaff and east on I-40 to Illinois.
Agree. This time of year traveling on I 17 to I40 to go home is safe from Flagstaff. The Salt River Canyon US 60 although beautiful is really not a an efficient way home. If you want the experience of traveling US 60 then expect slower driving, once beyond Show Low area the road will take you through New Mexico to connect onto I25 at Socorro, NM and head north to Albuquerque where you will catch I40. Up to you but depending on length of your 5th wheel (3 axle might be a pain) and time constraints taking I40 east out of Flagstaff would also be easier going through Albuquerque. Regardless, Phoenix (Mesa, Apache Junction and areas up to Roosevelt Dam) are certainly a beautiful experience this time of year. Come May and beyond through September you'd definitely would need to have AC or alternatives to staying cool.
ferrisjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:37 PM   #27

Someplace west to IL

I may not have understood the question but I think you are traveling from somewhere west and going to Illinois. You want to miss Phoenix. If that's correct I'd take the 303 to I17 then North through flagstaff. Much faster than going east on 60 and through Payson. On the map it may look faster but it's not. Hope I understood your question correctly.
guppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:48 PM   #28

I lived decades in the SF Bay area, and I think Phoenix traffic is much worse than anything I found in the Bay Area. I will drive 100 miles to avoid Phoenix.
MBrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel