Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #1

Huntsville TX to Mandeville LA

We are planning on traveling for Huntsville State Park to Fontainebleau State Park, and I want to avoid I-10.

I was thinking about TX105 to US96. A short section of I-10 then get on TX12. Taking 12 all of the way to Kinder La. then just traveling on US 190 into Baton Rouge. From there just get on I-12 to Mandeville La

Any problem with this plan. This would be on a Monday.

Thanks
Astasoftride is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As far as going through Baton Rouge, Both bridges can really back up during extended rush hours (5:30-10AM & 2:30-6:30PM). The I-10 bridge can be a bit of a challenge when you get to the east side. You want to be in the middle lane when crossing the bridge. This is the only lane you don't have to merge off of within a mile of the bridge. A lot of Nascar wanna be's to challenge you, just hold your ground. I think that lane can get you to I-12 east. If not, one lane to the left should do the trick.

If you are planning on crossing the Mississippi on the "Old" Bridge (190) your options are to take I-110 through Baton Rouge or stay on 190, a shorter route to 12, but a lot of lights and on and off traffic in an area of town not featured in I -110 to 10 to 12 is a Jekyll and Hyde situation, best avoided during rush hours but these are not as extended as the hours on the bridges. Be aware that, I think, I-110 has off ramps off the left and right, or at least I used to.

Hope this helps and enjoy the Northshore.
Hoverall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #3

I prefer 190, especially between Opelousas/Lafayette and Baton Rouge. Not sure of it from Texas state line to Opelousas.

Though rarely with a travel trailer, I typically take the OLD bridge across into Baton Rouge. It is so much better since they rebuilt it a bunch of years back, lanes are probably 2 foot wider. The test of whether you were ready for a driver's license was the OLD bridge back in those days. My driver's ed teacher put me on that the 2nd day of driver's ed.

There is a pretty decent little curve under a railroad crossing at the foot of the OLD bridge on the Baton Rouge side, headed east. The railroad track runs in the middle of the OLD bridge, and it crosses over the highway at that point. You want to have your speed under control, especially the first time you make that run. There have been a lot of drunks killed on that abutment. (I do not remember the height clearance, but I think there is enough big rig travel that it should be fine.)

It is probably a wash as to 190 or I-110 to get to I-12. There are issues with both of them. Lot of traffic lights on 190, I-12 circles though downtown Baton Rouge (with a nice view of Governor's Mansion and the State Capital).

Every time I have tried to take the I-10 bridge across the Mississippi, there has been a traffic accident somewhere.

Note also - Baton Rouge has a lot of petrochemical plants. They typically run a 6AM to 2PM dayshift, so the rushhour tends to be from 6 AM to 9 AM, then 1:30 PM to 6 PM sort of thing when blended with the more typical 9-5 crowd.

I grew up in Baton Rouge, it has changed a lot with the influx of Hurricane Katrina refuges and that population growth. Driving a large rig, travel trailer or motorhome, I would probably take 190 (also called Airline Highway).

For what it is worth, not sure it has the greatest access to the pumps, but COSTCO at 190 and I-12 typically has the best gasoline prices.
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #4

Thanks. I have had the pleasure of dealing with I-10 through Baton Rouge many times, but never with a coach. All of my recent trips were in regular vehicles and no trailers.

We were very frequent visitors of the Northshore when we lived in south Louisiana years ago Pre-Katrina. In fact we spent the Friday night before Katrina in Fontainebleau State Park unaware what the storm changed into that night.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Google map view shows the road clearance for the perpendicular crossing at 13’ 6” and does not show clearance signs for the railroad crossing for the tracks that come off of the bridge. So I’m guessing that one is higher than the first crossing of 13’6”. That curve doesn’t look bad, but I know that is what makes it bad.

I am pretty sure I will be coming from the west on 190. I guess I will make the call a few miles before the river and either stay on 190!or just jump south to I-10. It looks like 415 or La 1 will drop me onto I-10 before the bridge.

This will be on a Monday. And guessing around 4:00 pm
Old 05-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #6

I usually take 415 when I hop from 190 to I-10. It is a bumpy road, but I think LA-1 through Port Allen is not much better.

I can't remember how LA-1 puts you on the I-10 bridge over the Mississippi, but it may be a pretty steep climb with a circular ramp. Also, it will dump you in the right lane, and that lane is an exit only on the Baton Rouge side of things.

As Hoverall suggested, you want to be in the middle lane on the bridge. That will be the right lane of the two lanes of I-10 at the Hwy 415 entrance. Getting on I-10 at Hwy 415 will give you time to get situated before you hit the bridge and I think a more gradual climb.

To get onto I-12 will require a few left lane merges, but should be plenty of time before I-10/I-12 split.
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote