Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #1

Hwy 101

Is Hwy 101 from San Francisco to Seattle suitable for a 31 ft class A pulling a toad?
TTT1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes---very slow going on the Oregon Coast----narrow, lots of traffic, small congested cities, pretty scenery but not much fun for the driver----places to stay fill up in the summer----but everyone seems to be having fun.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

Hwy 101

We are currently in Portland and will head back to California for business in a month or so.. what are the elevations on 101? we would rather not take I-5 back and time or distance is not a factor. when in Santa Monica 101 skirts the Pacific, is quite scenic. on the way to Monterey 101 is a scary mountain passage without guard rails on most sharp bends, with every mile forward it seems we traveled 5 zig zagging.
xplorer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer33 View Post
We are currently in Portland and will head back to California for business in a month or so.. what are the elevations on 101? we would rather not take I-5 back and time or distance is not a factor. when in Santa Monica 101 skirts the Pacific, is quite scenic. on the way to Monterey 101 is a scary mountain passage without guard rails on most sharp bends, with every mile forward it seems we traveled 5 zig zagging.
I think we might be confusing US101 with California's Hwy 1 aka the Pacific Coast Highway? We have traveled the entire length of 101 and are currently in Gold Beach, Oregon on 101. We are in a 40DP with toad. In Oregon and Washington 101 does have a lot of 2 lane road and in Oregon some of that is tight as it skirts the coast but there are a lot of turn outs and passing lanes. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We live in Southern Oregon and often take 101 either north or south rather than I-5. 101 takes longer but is good for us - no major mountain passes - good state parks in Oregon.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

With the exception of San Francisco...Hwy 101 is suitable for me from Santa Monica to to the Straits of Juan De Fuca in Washington. I would by-pass SF as there is no path through the city except surface streets.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Yes---very slow going on the Oregon Coast----narrow, lots of traffic, small congested cities, pretty scenery but not much fun for the driver----places to stay fill up in the summer----but everyone seems to be having fun.

Didn't mean to be quite that doleful----go for it. It is a wonderful trip----unless you are in a hurry.

I will do about any reasonable thing to stay off I-5----
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #8

I take my 40' Mayflower trailer from florance ore. to Sunnyvale 2 times a month on coast hwy 101 year round with no problems.
flyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #9

Can you tell me..are the elevations on 101 from Oregon to California the same as they are on I-5 or is it mostly rolling hills, like in Santa Monica? I don't like chugging through higher elevations.
xplorer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #10

Answers On Google Earth

Try downloading and using free 'Google Earth', if you've not done so. Zoom in/out on areas of interest. At the page bottom, the elevation is read out wherever the page pointer '+' icon is. You can also read out scale for a given 'zoom in' level, just as on a hard copy Map. So, you can get a sense/answer your own question as to what a grade is by moving the '+' icon over the Road path image. Tips like shadows on surrounding Hillsides can help disclose if a Road is cutting through inclined area or not.

I've also used it to zoom in and check out Campground details. By invoking the 'Panoramio' function on the page left side, pix taken by Travelers will pop up as you click on the little yellow boxes representing a ground level pic. Good way to recon an area, as I did around Lake Powell a few years ago. When you click on a Motel or Restaurant icon, Traveler Reviews often link off from there.

Plan away, if that's your style! This allows me to relax and take it all in because some of the basics are already covered.
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Xplorer33
The elevations on Hwy 101 are not near as high as I-5 in southern Oregon and Northern California. Yes, if I remember correctly there are some steep grades but not near as long or as high as I-5.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #12

have done it many times in 40 footer pulling toad. no problem. just a couple of small
hills no real mountains. just watch your speed and you will be fine
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #13

I agree I5 is the most boring road imaginable. Have never tried the 101. Using the 101 from LA thru Oregon - anyone know difference in time between the 101 and using I5?
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might have a couple of steep grades one going between San Luis Obispo & Atascadero Cuesta Grade 7% and Conajo Grade going between Camarillo Ca. and Thousand Oaks 7% grade. Other wise 101 is good roads a little rough south of Gilroy.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote