Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #1

Hwy 101 to Hwy 1 S. Cal

We are camped in Greenfield at Yanks RV Park (nice!), and are heading toward Pismo Beach Monday, but have time to kill. We thought we would take Hwy 46 from the 101 over to the PCH, or alternately take Hwy 41 from the 101 to the PCH. Which is the preferred route in a 34 foot MH with no toad?

Also, how is the PCH in that small region (Cambria to Moro Bay), and can one find RV parking in Moro Bay?

Thanks,
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #2

I have no experience there. This related thread may prove useful though: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/pacif...ay-277787.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #3

I used to take hwy 46 from Frenso and don't recall there being any issues I'd be concerned with in an rv. Note, there is a long downgrade on hwy 101 right before San Luis Obisbo. After you level out the road is mainly flat with great views. We have taken hwy 101 south to Pismo Coach Villiage from the San Jose area twice; once in a
29' and once in a 35' rv.
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've gone over 46 several times to Highway 1, or Pacific Coast Highway. Yes there are some hills but nothing out of the ordinary. The view of the ocean from 46 is spectacular.

Highway 1 is fine from Cambria to Morro bay.

Thanks for the tip on Yanks RV park. Will have to check it out as Wine Country RV park in Paso Robles has been bought out and raised their prices sky high. Won't stay there again.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #5

Thanks to all for answering my questions. As always, this forum is helpful and timely!

Have a good day.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #6

Sitting at Morro Strand State Park at a FHU site - yes you heard that right - oceanfront. Excellent facility. FHU sites as of last April 1, I'm told. Another very good park in the area is Morro Strand RV park. Private park. Both will have availability this upcoming midweek. Took 46 years ago in a Class C. Doable, but I prefer 41 - much less of a grade. Highway 1 is definitely fine to Cambria & probably Hearst Castle. As far as Pismo goes, much better parks in Morro. We're in a 37' Class A towing a C-RV. I want the best facility I can get with quiet hours enforced. Pismo has become (in my experience) the place where the Central Valley partiers come to raise ****. Staying at Pismo Sands two weeks ago with toy haulers still setting up noisily at 11pm Friday night. Don't appreciate it, but I can understand people trying to grab a quick weekend. Speaking of Pismo Sands, might check the recent reviews of it on Campendium, TripAdvisor, Yelp or RVParky. (rvparkreviews shot it back desiring some editing, but assuring me that they do publish reviews that reflect negatively on parks.) Morro Bay State Park also has some FHU's and lots of beautiful dry camping places. If you were simply referring to places to park the RV while playing tourist, Morro is pretty crowded on the weekends, but has been largely vacated the last two weeks. Lots of parking.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #7

Solution

Here is my report on my question. I took Hwy 46 from Paso Robles to the PCH, near Cambria. It was hilly but beautiful. At the summit one can see the Pacific and in the distance Morro Bay. We drove north to the Hearst Beach (not the exact name). After viewing the elephant sea lions (amazing) we turned south and took the PCH to San Luis Obisbo (SLO), where we caught the 101. The roads were all good and no problem for an RV.

Thanks again to those who responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celerator View Post
We are camped in Greenfield at Yanks RV Park (nice!), and are heading toward Pismo Beach Monday, but have time to kill. We thought we would take Hwy 46 from the 101 over to the PCH, or alternately take Hwy 41 from the 101 to the PCH. Which is the preferred route in a 34 foot MH with no toad?

Also, how is the PCH in that small region (Cambria to Moro Bay), and can one find RV parking in Moro Bay?

Thanks,
Old 02-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update. Pretty country over there for sure.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
When we lived in Kalifornia I used this site religiously!! LINK TO CADOT I know this page is for 45' Coaches... But if they're restricted I would be looking VERY closely at that highway...
Old 02-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #10

Just to clarify, it is San Luis Obispo, not Obisbo. That could help future searches if someone uses San Luis Obispo as search term.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #11

Thanks for the spelling correction!