Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

HWY 2 between Spokane and Anacortes

We are currently in Blanchard ID, with plans to leave tomorrow for Anacortes. The weather report indicates strong gusty winds along our original route taking the 90 through Ellenburg. We are considering the 2 where the wind wonít be as bad, but have never taken it. There are two warnings in the mountain guide for steep grades in excess of 6 miles each. Our other option is to wait and leave Saturday.

Does anyone have experience on this road?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've done 20 in a 40' dp with toad and it was beautiful. Be ready to stop at Diablo lake overview. Breathtaking. 90 is so blah.....ho hum.....here comes more....
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
We are currently in Blanchard ID, with plans to leave tomorrow for Anacortes. The weather report indicates strong gusty winds along our original route taking the 90 through Ellenburg. We are considering the 2 where the wind won’t be as bad, but have never taken it. There are two warnings in the mountain guide for steep grades in excess of 6 miles each. Our other option is to wait and leave Saturday.

HWY 2 is a good road,wide 2 lane,
That said, I suggest that you head south/east back to US 95 to I-90 then west thru Spokane, and catch US-2 on the west side of Spokane... avoiding having to deal with downtown city congestion of Spokane. (and the height restricted RR underpass)
From there I would take a little detour on sr-174 and tour the Grand Coulee Dam, then stay on sr-174 to Chief Joseph Dam and join US-97 and return to US-2 just west of Wenatchee.
Yes, you will be going over Stevens Pass but it isn't all that bad and just go slow and enjoy.
btw..stop in Cashmere and take the tour of the "Applet & Cottlet" confectioner bakery...
Another side benifit with running US-2 is that you join I-5 north of the Tacoma/Seattle/Everett metroplex and all it's massive traffic.
Happy Trails !!
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
We are currently in Blanchard ID, with plans to leave tomorrow for Anacortes. The weather report indicates strong gusty winds along our original route taking the 90 through Ellenburg. We are considering the 2 where the wind wonít be as bad, but have never taken it. There are two warnings in the mountain guide for steep grades in excess of 6 miles each. Our other option is to wait and leave Saturday.

I always get a kick out of how you southern Californians say highway numbers. Totally unique to the rest of the country.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
I always get a kick out of how you southern Californians say highway numbers. Totally unique to the rest of the country.

Itís part of our charm
Old 08-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
HWY 2 is a good road,wide 2 lane,
That said, I suggest that you head south/east back to US 95 to I-90 then west thru Spokane, and catch US-2 on the west side of Spokane... avoiding having to deal with downtown city congestion of Spokane. (and the height restricted RR underpass)
From there I would take a little detour on sr-174 and tour the Grand Coulee Dam, then stay on sr-174 to Chief Joseph Dam and join US-97 and return to US-2 just west of Wenatchee.
Yes, you will be going over Stevens Pass but it isn't all that bad and just go slow and enjoy.
btw..stop in Cashmere and take the tour of the "Applet & Cottlet" confectioner bakery...
Another side benifit with running US-2 is that you join I-5 north of the Tacoma/Seattle/Everett metroplex and all it's massive traffic.
Happy Trails !!

Thanks for all of the great info. We have a short gasser, so the pass is a little concerning, but not as much as the wind on the 90 route over the next two days. Where is the low RR crossing underpass? I donít see it listed anywhere.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick;
Thanks for all of the great info. We have a short gasser, so the pass is a little concerning, but not as much as the wind on the 90 route over the next two days. Where is the low RR crossing underpass? I donít see it listed anywhere.
The RR underpass is on US-395/US-2, 3/4 mile north of the interstate 90 junction. .You can look it up on Google Earth street view
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #8

Hwy 20 is the most scenic through the mountains, if you have the time. 2 is next, and I-90 is still pretty good. You'll be fine whichever way you go, but if taking either of the southern routes, try to be north of Everett before 3p to avoid the traffic. Have a great trip!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
The RR underpass is on US-395/US-2, 3/4 mile north of the interstate 90 junction. .You can look it up on Google Earth street view
We have done US2 through Spokane several times with a class A. We were at about 12+ and had no problem. When you transition from I-5 eastbound to US2, the freeway underpass is only 13-3, but you won't encounter that westbound.

You come into Washington on US 2 at Newport. That is also the eastern terminus for SR20 that was suggested. SR20 goes directly into Anacortes.

We prefer either of those routes over I-90 unless we are in a hurry.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
About 20 miles west of the 2/I90 junction is Reardan, WA. It is an enforced 30 MPH. then 13 miles to Davenport another 30 MPH. All of the towns in Lincoln Co. are watched, We need the money!
FYI no stoplights in the County, a flasher in Davenport.

Drive Safe and have a GREAT Trip.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #11

Remember to keep the radio on and check for road closures due to fire. I90 has been closed to all traffic at least twice in the last week for forest fires alongside the road.

We keep popsicles and ice cream treats in the freezer for the flag persons. Cold water or pop would also be appreciated. I know it slows down the line sometimes to toss them out but the workers smiles are worth twice the scowls of the folks behind you.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A link for a stop on Hwy 2

Deception Falls Off Stevens Pass, Highway 2 In Washington
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
About 20 miles west of the 2/I90 junction is Reardan, WA. It is an enforced 30 MPH. then 13 miles to Davenport another 30 MPH. All of the towns in Lincoln Co. are watched, We need the money!

FYI no stoplights in the County, a flasher in Davenport.

Drive Safe and have a GREAT Trip.

Thanks for the warning. We waved at the nice officer with his radar gun as we passed him doing 28!
Old 08-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
Remember to keep the radio on and check for road closures due to fire. I90 has been closed to all traffic at least twice in the last week for forest fires alongside the road.

We keep popsicles and ice cream treats in the freezer for the flag persons. Cold water or pop would also be appreciated. I know it slows down the line sometimes to toss them out but the workers smiles are worth twice the scowls of the folks behind you.

Great idea, I am going to steal it!