Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hwy 285 TX

I need to drive 285 from Stockton to carlsbad I know it busy with trucks anyone drive it lately?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwrench View Post
I need to drive 285 from Stockton to carlsbad I know it busy with trucks anyone drive it lately?
Last time I was on it it was the roughest, nastiest road I’d ever been on. That was last yr so might have changed, but I doubt it.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #3

Howdy!

My son works in west Texas as a Pipeline Inspector. He and most oilfield works state that 285 is considered one of the most dangerous roadways in the country do to heavy oildfield traffic. Safe travels if you go that way.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #4

I was out there in November and took 18 north from Monahans to Kermit... A possible route to the East of 285.

They are working on that road and there is not much room , rough and full of Sand Trucks... Pretty nerve racking so I don't suggest that route either, unless maybe at 2 am.....
Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #5

WORST ROAD EVER!!!

We hit a crater on it last year (Aprilish) with our toad. Cut the tire. Luckily we have a spare for it. Got into Carlsbad and the Walmart employee told me we were lucky as most of the cars that come in have 2 blown tires.

There are sections of the road that are gone, just gone. I’ve never been in war but I can only imagine that is what a road that was bombed would look like.

As for the travel, we just kept a constant speed (in the sections that we could go the speed limit and let the cars pass.