Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #1

Hwy 40 route through Ashville to Knoxville

We have a 44' Dutchstar pulling a mini cooper. Trying to plan our route from Charlotte, NC. I want to visit a friend in Knoxville by way of 40 through Asheville on the way to California. My question is has anyone gone through that route with a big rig? How are the roads and is it safe for our big rig? Yes, we are semi newbies. Any info I would appreciate it. Thanks
suebell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
Other than possible stop and go traffic in Asheville itself, that stretch of I 40 is one of the easiest. We are a 42ft 5er pulled by a F450 so we are about 60 ft long. It is a bit twisty/turny but not much in way of steep climbs or descents. It actually follows the river valley thru there. You have one tunnel on the west bound side.

Do NOT stop at the last rest stop inside NC, go up about 15 miles to exit 447 (TN welcome center). The one in NC is tiny. Hardly big enough for your Mini.

If you are Escapees, stay in the Raccoon Valley RV Park in Heiskell on the north side of Knoxville. It’s an Escapees Park.

We do that stretch from Asheville to Knoxville at least twice a year.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rt to Calif - What time of year??

Winter - we go a little farther south and pick up I-10..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Rt to Calif - What time of year??

Winter - we go a little farther south and pick up I-10..
She’s visiting a friend in Knoxville which means I 40 at least to TN. And it depends on what part of CA. I agree, in the winter, I 10 makes the most sense. Second option is I 20. And a drive thru Chattanooga down I 59 to Birmingham let’s you pick up I 20 there.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with SouthernLady. We go that route a couple times a year in a 40' towing and it is easy driving, if the traffic is reasonable. I also agree about the rest area comment.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebell42 View Post
We have a 44' Dutchstar pulling a mini cooper. Trying to plan our route from Charlotte, NC. I want to visit a friend in Knoxville by way of 40 through Asheville on the way to California. My question is has anyone gone through that route with a big rig? How are the roads and is it safe for our big rig? Yes, we are semi newbies. Any info I would appreciate it. Thanks
INTERSTATE 40 is the best way to go from Asheville to Knoxville, and you should have no problems with it, other than LOTS of trucks and a few steep grades. Since I-40 does not go thru Charlotte, it seems you still need to decide how to get to it. My atlas does not show a "Hwy 40", so I hope you were asking about the Interstate.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Live in Asheville and travel to Tennessee several times a year on I 40. Coming to Asheville from Charlotte, I recommend US 321 from Gastonia to Hickory. I 40 west to Asheville will bring you up Old Fort mountain. About a 6% interstate grade. Not a problem. Traffic on I 40 through Asheville should not be an issue. I 40 through the Pigeon River gorge is not steep, but it is very twisty. You can do 55 without a problem. As noted earlier, watch out for trucks. Also check road conditions because there is about one truck wreck each week in the gorge. If the I 40 route is backed up, you can go I 26 west from Asheville to Johnson City, TN and get on I 81 south. That will link you back up on I 40 west after the gorge. Either way is a good route, but I 26 to I 81 is longer. However, I 26 into Tennessee is somewhat steep, but is really a beautiful drive.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #8

Thanks, everyone for your great advice. We won't be travelling winter, we will be travel late August and back in October for the leaves. Thanks so much!
suebell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Since you are semi newbies make sure you know how to use engine brake on downgrades to prevent overheating brakes. Pay attention to truck speed limits on curves. Not legal requirement but more comfortable.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I drive the route every year and my advice is to be sure you have some experience with your compression brake. Maybe the biggest thing is to not let anyone (car or truck) push you to go faster than you are comfortable. There are grades and curves that just take a motor home a little longer to transit - stay right, get behind a sensible truck and it is a fun drive.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:43 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Tight lanes

Just a note , the lanes are pretty tight and there are those concrete barriers a lot of the way. try to space yourself away from those big trucks. it is a white knuckle ride some days. be careful. good luck
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Did it last month. Just pay attention to Truck speed limit. Not a bad drive, but need to stay alert
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #13

Not a bad trip but as others have said just watch out for impatient idiots who don't have a clue how dangerous they are when they tailgate you then get ticked and try to swoop around you and cut in front of you .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote