Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
I 17 south from Camp Verde to hwy 169 Junction

This looks like a pretty good and long grade ? Anybody have any experience with it with a 36 ft gasser towing a 3200 lb toad.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

yup. mostly down but some up as well. there's a good pull just south of the cottonwood exit. the mountain west directory will have the grade/length information. get the app and/or the printed version. there will be a decent 1-2 mile pull just past the Cottonwood exit.
---------
10. CAMP VERDE GRADES and I-17

(between Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ)

Camp Verde, Arizona is in a valley and the descent is long and steep from both north and south on I-17. There are runaway truck ramps on both of these hills. There is also a steep descent for southbound traffic near Black Canyon City between mileposts 251 and 244 on I-17.

FROM THE NORTH INTO CAMP VERDE:

About 26 miles south of the junction of I-40 and I-17 at Flagstaff there is a sign for southbound traffic—"6% grade 2 miles ahead." About ½ mile later there is another sign—"Trucks—vehicles pulling trailers check brakes and equipment—use scenic view." At milepost 312 a sign warns—"6% grade next 13 miles" and ½ mile later the 6% begins. The first 3 ½ miles are fairly steady 6% grade.

There are several breaks in the descent where the grade eases. The first two breaks are only ¼ to ½ mile long and then between mileposts 306 and 304 the grade is about 4%. Between mileposts 304 and 298 the grade is pretty steady at 6% (almost 6 miles.) There is a runaway truck ramp just before milepost 300. The ramp goes off to the right and is almost level. There are several warning signs as you approach it.

About milepost 298 the grade goes uphill for a short distance and then flattens as you approach the rest area. If your brakes are hot this may be a good place to cool them because it is still 9 miles to the bottom of the hill at Camp Verde. Not all of the 9 miles are downhill—in fact there is a mile of uphill included—and most of the downhill is 4-5% from the rest area to Camp Verde.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:42 PM   #3

Actually, if I'm reading the OP's question correctly, he's going from Camp Verde south toward Cordes Junction and for that he'll have about 6 miles of steep uphill.

Just stay in the right lane where the semi trucks will be and they'll be going slow, also.

It's a popular route and many RVers do it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #4

is it that long of a pull south of the cottonwood exit? could be...seemed shorter to me but it's been 2-yrs and i'm getting older. i recall not having too much tbl...we we're in a 40' gasser towing a jeep liberty. speed never fell below 40. about the only issue for me was being behind a really, really slow truck and being able to pass speed wise but unable due to faster traffic in the left lane.

no, the only real issue for me was the terrible road bed on WB 40 roughly 10-mi east of I-17 and I-17 between I-40 and Camp Verde. unless it's been fixed since 2017 buckle up and hold on.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:12 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

We have done this several times with a 36' M and a 3900 lb. toad. No problems at all.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pretty much starts at the Cottonwood exit. Just stay right, set up for the climb and relax the big rigs will be running about the same speed.

Glenn
Old 09-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
This looks like a pretty good and long grade ? Anybody have any experience with it with a 36 ft gasser towing a 3200 lb toad.
Yes, it is a climb. Have done it each way 100s of times with all sorts of equipment. My practice is to turn off the chassis AC to squeeze every HP out and minimize heating. This is a major summer weekend escape route for the desert dwellers and thousands of RVs up and down this hill.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Grade

Did the drive today was good . Never got below 55 mph wasnt towing today. highest colant tempwas 208 trans temp 176 Coach ran flawless. Workhorse 8.1 Allison 2000 series Didnt use a/c , Thanks All
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote