Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2023, 06:10 PM   #1

I-17 South of Flagstaff

Just your quarterly reminder that 17 South of Flagstaff is absolutely atrocious.

Not new news for many, but I had to vent.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2023, 06:22 PM   #2

I-40 from the California border to the junction of the 95 is the same .

Didn't need to go further into AZ on interstates to reach my destination , so can't comment on the rest of the 40.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
Just your quarterly reminder that 17 South of Flagstaff is absolutely atrocious.

Not new news for many, but I had to vent.
As a long-time resident of Arizona, I was deeply embarrassed for our state when Amy & I traveled that stretch of road a couple of weeks ago. What we saw and experienced couldn't have happened overnight or even as a result of one winter; it reflects years of neglect and inattention.

Others may disagree, but in my opinion two of the absolute highest priorities for any state should be public safety and infrastructure. Traveling that roadway, I couldn't help but conclude Arizona - a state heavily dependent on tourism - flunked both of those priorities big-time.

What makes it even worse is that 17 isn't some lightly traveled country road; it is a full-fledged Interstate Highway! As I said, deeply embarrassing.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
As a long-time resident of Arizona, I was deeply embarrassed for our state when Amy & I traveled that stretch of road a couple of weeks ago. What we saw and experienced couldn't have happened overnight or even as a result of one winter; it reflects years of neglect and inattention.

Others may disagree, but in my opinion two of the absolute highest priorities for any state should be public safety and infrastructure. Traveling that roadway, I couldn't help but conclude Arizona - a state heavily dependent on tourism - flunked both of those priorities big-time.

What makes it even worse is that 17 isn't some lightly traveled country road; it is a full-fledged Interstate Highway! As I said, deeply embarrassing.
As an AZ native, and lifelong resident ... I could not agree more.

For those who think I am exaggerating the state of I-17 South ... I am not. It is amazingly bad. This summer's weekend commutes from the Valley to Flag and back are going to be especially bad, and that is saying something.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:03 PM   #5

It seems like they're doing work on it until 2024:

https://azdot.gov/projects/northcent...ge-improvement

https://www.improvingi17.com/

https://original.newsbreak.com/@mark...r-flagstaff-az
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #6

Travelling from Canada for the second year into AZ, I will have to say that US93 from LV to Phoenix is the worst Goat Trail I have travelled in years. Pulling my 35' TT absolutely shook the living shite out of everything.....potholes abound, single lane opening to two lane, back to single, it is absolutely the worst road I have driven and can say from experience, the Mexican highways are far superior.

Now, I travelled once southbound from Hurricane on 89 and onto 17 and didn't notice any big problems but I wasn't pulling a TT.

I can only say that the Govt. of AZ should be ashamed of the infrastructure in their state and considering the tourism they rely on each year, will never catch up to fix where the goat trails are today. Absolutely and totally the shites.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
They definitely are, perennially.

One lane restrictions for significant portions. Incredibly bad conditions for significant portions.
Old 05-04-2023, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I-40 from the California border to the junction of the 95 is the same .

Didn't need to go further into AZ on interstates to reach my destination , so can't comment on the rest of the 40.
I-40 is even worse eastbound from the junction of US93 to Seligman. Has been horrible there for at least ten years. Lost both front hubcaps off of my previous class C on that stretch on one trip. Instead of spending money on repaving they just send a couple guys with shovels to patch the holes. That only lasts for a few weeks. Hoping that our new Gov will do a better job than the last few. The state of our roads has been getting some attention in the local press lately, so maybe that will motivate them.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:47 AM   #9
Community Moderator

I remember last year, it was so bad, AZ DOT had signs warning you of "Rough Road Ahead". So they knew it needed repaired.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote