Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I 25 south of Denver

Hi, I was planning on taking I-25 south out of Denver to Albuquerque I thought it would be a flat route now I hear there is a steep climb from Trinidad CO. Anyone know how steep that is? I'm in a gas MH towing a jeep. TX
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

That is Raton pass has a max grade of 6%. It will be a bit of a slog to get up but it is no problem. Fairly tame compared to most Colorado passes. If you want flatter you will have to go somewhere farther east for sure as no other way is going to get you there without going over a pass.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Raton Pass is no problem. Keep your speed under control down the south side. Downshift and keep off the brakes as much as you can. As said in the second post, its not much compared to the real mountain passes in Colorado. Just take your time.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #4

The Raton Pass is nothing to be afraid of but it is a long slog as BarryG20 said. Just don't ride the brakes. If you have to go 25 mph to feel safe, do it and forget about the folks behind you. That may sound crass, but don't let those behind you pressure you to the point that you are unsafe. Not in the same league as the Raton Pass is Monument Hill pass (also slightly over 7,000 ft elev) south of Colorado Springs. Don't want you to be surprised when you find your coach desiring a lower gear.

Of course, you could take the easy route - Mt. Evans Scenic Byway (Rt 5). The pass is at 14,160 ft elev and the grade is only 15%.

Here is a list of passes in Colorado
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_in_Colorado
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
The Raton Pass is nothing to be afraid of but it is a long slog as BarryG20 said. Just don't ride the brakes. If you have to go 25 mph to feel safe, do it and forget about the folks behind you. That may sound crass, but don't let those behind you pressure you to the point that you are unsafe. Not in the same league as the Raton Pass is Monument Hill pass (also slightly over 7,000 ft elev) south of Colorado Springs. Don't want you to be surprised when you find your coach desiring a lower gear.

Of course, you could take the easy route - Mt. Evans Scenic Byway (Rt 5). The pass is at 14,160 ft elev and the grade is only 15%.

And about the time DW is freaking out about the not very wide road with no guard rails, you reach the "Road Narrows" sign
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #6

There is always the alternate route of Hwy 285 but you are not devoid of passes on that route either. Neither Raton Pass (I25) or Kenosha Pass (285) are major concerns if you gear down and stay to the right.

Since Hwy 285 is not an Interstate, the speeds are significantly less on Hwy 285 compared to I25 but you do encounter more single lane hwy. On the plus side, Hwy 285 is A LOT more scenic than I25.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:

Just one correction - Monument Hill is 15 miles north of Colorado Springs, but it isn't anything like a typical mountain pass. Just a short climb and descent on a good freeway.

And the Mt. Evans road isn't a "pass", it dead ends in the parking lot at the top of the mountain, about 50 feet below the summit. I'm also fairly certain that no RV are allowed. I certainly wouldn't drive one up there.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Just one correction - Monument Hill is 15 miles north of Colorado Springs, but it isn't anything like a typical mountain pass. Just a short climb and descent on a good freeway.

And the Mt. Evans road isn't a "pass", it dead ends in the parking lot at the top of the mountain, about 50 feet below the summit. I'm also fairly certain that no RV are allowed. I certainly wouldn't drive one up there.
Yep, I was less than calm driving the Jeep up and down Mt. Evans last year
Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post

Thanks for the correction - I was thinking of the OP driving South. I recall driving north on 1-25 in April and got caught in a spring blizzard at Monument Pass and would not have made it through to Denver had not I stayed in the tracks of a semi. Got to Denver area and almost got stuck in snow on the entrance ramp to the freeway. We had left Santa Fe at 6:30 am and arrived in north Denver at 11 pm. This after being turned back from our original goal of driving to Colorado via the La Veta pass. Weather was clear when we left Santa Fe. I learned from that little adventure how fast the weather can change in the mountains.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the correction - I was thinking of the OP driving South. I recall driving north on 1-25 in April and got caught in a spring blizzard at Monument Pass and would not have made it through to Denver had not I stayed in the tracks of a semi. Got to Denver area and almost got stuck in snow on the entrance ramp to the freeway. We had left Santa Fe at 6:30 am and arrived in north Denver at 11 pm. This after being turned back from our original goal of driving to Colorado via the La Veta pass. Weather was clear when we left Santa Fe. I learned from that little adventure how fast the weather can change in the mountains.
Monument Hill is infamous for traffic trouble in winter weather. You were pretty lucky to get through at all if it was a bad one.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote