Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I-285 north side of Atlanta, GA

Going to Dillard, GA from Chattanooga, TN
Possible route of I-75 to I-285 north of Atlanta to I-85 north.

How is traffic on the north stretch of I-285?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #2

Depends mainly on day of week and time of day. During the week, between 10AM and 3PM traffic will be heavy, but moving at or above the speed limit unless there's an accident.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Well, I guess that's better than going THRU Atlanta on I-75.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:26 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Tom,

There is a ton of construction going on at the intersection of GA-400 and I-285. Been worked on for 2-3 years and still probably another year to go. If you are not comfortable with narrowed lanes full of big trucks, be wary of this route. We live nearby and drive it a lot in our car and our coach.

A couple of alternatives: Stay on I-75 south into downtown Atlanta, then catch I-85 north. Keeps you off I-285 altogether. Or have you thought about going through Cleveland, Murphy, Franklin, to Dillard? Lots of curves as you drive along the Ocoee River but no Atlanta construction and traffic! But if you aren't comfortable with that curvy road, be wary. I haven't driven that route in our coach, but have many times in a car.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 08-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #5

Another possibility is GA20. It's definitely not the fastest route, but it keeps you out of ATL.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #6

I drive thru all the time in my coach. No easy way around but if you stay on 75 and go straight thru Atlanta between the hours of 10-2 that is the lest busiest and you avoid more traffic on I-285 and all the big semis take that route. Traffic moves but there are some slow spots.
Rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:13 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Not looking to derail the Ops questions but I'll be heading to Pigeon Forge again this October from Florida up 75. I think last year I went up the west side of Atlanta on 285 on a weekday though it wasn't to bad, JMO, I'm heading up on a Sunday this time and wondering how it will be now that a years past? Should I stick to the same route or go right through Atlanta since it will be a Sunday or is there another, easier route even if it's a little longer. Thanks
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
I'm heading up on a Sunday this time and wondering how it will be now that a years past? Should I stick to the same route or go right through Atlanta since it will be a Sunday or is there another, easier route even if it's a little longer. Thanks
Sunday afternoon traffic can be pretty heavy, but I'd just go straight thru. Stay in the middle lanes and remember 75 splits to the right.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:55 PM   #9

Iím with Patrick, I live just northeast of Atlanta and I never run 285 unless I have too. 18 wheelers, rough as a cob and crazy drivers, although running straight thru is not a lot better. Iím not much help. but if not in a hurry I would consider highway 20.
mlwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Not looking to derail the Ops questions but I'll be heading to Pigeon Forge again this October from Florida up 75. I think last year I went up the west side of Atlanta on 285 on a weekday though it wasn't to bad, JMO, I'm heading up on a Sunday this time and wondering how it will be now that a years past? Should I stick to the same route or go right through Atlanta since it will be a Sunday or is there another, easier route even if it's a little longer. Thanks
Check to see if the Falcons are playing on that day. If you are coming through a bit before or a bit after a game, you are gonna want to adjust your timing or go around 285.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 08-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #11

Did I miss something? Chattanooga to Dillard via Atlanta? Why?why not go east on hwy 74 to 64 to Franklin and then south?
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was on that piece of road Thursday when we went to Marietta to pick up our "new" HHR toad. CB chatter advised hitting that stretch during the wee hours before 4AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:14 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Did I miss something? Chattanooga to Dillard via Atlanta? Why?why not go east on hwy 74 to 64 to Franklin and then south?
X2Trying to understand why one would not use this route
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:44 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
Check to see if the Falcons are playing on that day. If you are coming through a bit before or a bit after a game, you are gonna want to adjust your timing or go around 285.

Regards.

Chuck
Well as luck or rather bad luck would have it they play Washington at 1pm on October 3rd Sunday. With that said when can I expect the roads to become bad from folks heading to that 1pm game. I expect it would be about 10 to 11AM. I'm thinking closer to 10AM would be the absolute best time. Thoughts? And thanks for the heads up..
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote