Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Silly question but how much can you save by unhooking the toad and crossing separately? I know it probably isn't practical but could it be an option ?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Really?
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #17

The way EZ Pass is set-up I don't think it would be worth the trouble. I doubt paying cash would help any either. It was our experience in the past that you never knew what the joker at the toll booth was going to charge you. I don't think half of them are even trained in the different vehicle classes. Once (pre-EZ Pass) in New Hampshire we got the charged by the number of tires! And don't even try to reason with them.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I got steamed when we crossed this bridge in 2016. Motorhome towing a toad is charged by the axle. Unhook the toad and drive it across - save a bunch of money. I said this doesn't make sense. Response - we charge just as if it is a truck towing a trailer.

Disconnect and it is an auto and a separate vehicle with two axles.

For now - out west we have freeways and not turnpikes, but things may be changing. Tolls and congestion pricing are being discussed.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Given traffic, Newburgh bridge everytime when traveling N/S.

You could burn 5 gallons of diesel in stop and go up the hill from the bridge.

I did the MC once since open, just to see it. My it is a sight to see. Hopefully they did't use wooden pilings like they did on the old Tappan Zee...

If on GSP, watch the low ends of the arched bridges you go under. There are a couple under 14 ft.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Unhook the toad, pay for 2x 2 axle vehicles, it is often less. In reality just pay The toll.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:51 PM   #21

Well, since we're past your journey I'd be interested in whose advise you took and the route. I would also have chimed in to take 84 east. Whether you went up 87 or 81 you would have done much better than 95! 84 in CT is only slightly less stressful and always with construction zones. But, still better than 95 any day.
SlaterDoc is offline   Reply With Quote