Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I-4 Toll Road

we are headed south soon........can anyone tell me if i-4 in florida, between daytona and tampa, is a toll rd?.......we were down that way a couple of years ago and remember seeing toll roads around orlando, but i cannot find anything that tells me if i-4 is one of them..................don't really care about the cost, but florida toll roads are hinky.........some do not have toll booths and you have to use the sun pass............wanna know if i need that pass for i-4.........thanks
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
we are headed south soon........can anyone tell me if i-4 in florida, between daytona and tampa, is a toll rd?.......we were down that way a couple of years ago and remember seeing toll roads around orlando, but i cannot find anything that tells me if i-4 is one of them..................don't really care about the cost, but florida toll roads are hinky.........some do not have toll booths and you have to use the sun pass............wanna know if i need that pass for i-4.........thanks
No it is an interstate road no tolls
Rsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
Rsb3 is correct, not a toll road. I will say it is a great idea to stop at the Florida Welcome Center and buy a Sunpass. Florida has a lot of toll roads that just use cameras and a month or so later you get a bill. The Sunpass lets you roll on through without stopping or even slowing down and the cost is reduced.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I-4 is not a toll road but is a war zone around Orlando. I'd suggest getting a SunPass as mentioned and getting on 417 (toll road) in Sanford. This will bypass a lot of the construction and put you back on I-4 west of Orlando. We go to see the Rat every few months and found that it's well worth the extra couple of bucks and 15-20 minutes extra time using 417.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
I-4 is not a toll road but is a war zone around Orlando. I'd suggest getting a SunPass as mentioned and getting on 417 (toll road) in Sanford. This will bypass a lot of the construction and put you back on I-4 west of Orlando. We go to see the Rat every few months and found that it's well worth the extra couple of bucks and 15-20 minutes extra time using 417.
I second this! The 417 ("Greenway") is a little expensive (it's $7.40 for a car (2 axle) from end to end) but well worth it. Nicer road, nicer views, and no construction.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

I agree with everyone except I’d get the North Carolina quick pass EZ pass and it’s good everywhere on the East coast over to Illinois including Florida and Ga.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsb3 View Post
No it is an interstate road no tolls

Interstate Highway designation does not preclude toll charges.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Interstate Highway designation does not preclude toll charges.
Yep agree
Rsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #9

No tolls on I-4. It is a mess in Orlando. 417 works but I like using 429. Less traffic and you totally avoid Orlando.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
No tolls on I-4. It is a mess in Orlando. 417 works but I like using 429. Less traffic and you totally avoid Orlando.
2x Use exit for state road 46 its about 10 mi to 429.
I live in the area and I4 is a total mess in Orlando avoid it if you can.
Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pirate View Post
You mean 15-20 minutes LESS time as there is usually a backup on I-4 somewhere that 417 and 429 bypass.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:39 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
You mean 15-20 minutes LESS time as there is usually a backup on I-4 somewhere that 417 and 429 bypass.
Probably right a lot of the time. I just know that once my GPS "figures out" which way I'm going and recalculates the route, the time is about 12 minutes more than the I-4 route. I would think that running the rest of 417 to the end and back onto I-4 would only add about 5 or 6 more minutes. We exit 417 at exit 6.

It costs us less than $9 ($4 and change one way) for the round trip to exit 6 using SunPass, RV pulling single axle trailer.

Any of the electronic passes will save you quite a bit.

<'))))>(
Old 01-03-2019, 05:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
so if i understand.........we stop once we get down south (nc, ga, fla), and buy a $20 transponder to suction cup to the windshield.........then we sign up for an account, and add, say $50 bucks, into the account...............we then just drive thru the toll plaza's, if applicable, and it will charge the account.........then we monitor the balance in the account, and place funds in the account via credit card, etc...............we only go to florida once each year..........sounds like it is easier, maybe longer travel time, to stay on I4..........from the map on the sunpass website, 417 has toll plaza's that accept cash (human being)............429 looks like it is non-staffed toll plazas, so an electronic pass would be required..........is this correct?...............sorry for all the questions, toll plaza's in this neck of the woods (few) have humans in little booths to collect cash.....................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can buy either the suction cup transponder ($20) or a $5 sticker that is attached to the windshield. I think the suction cup mount can be used on up to 5 different vehicles. Sticker is one vehicle. You can set up your account to auto renew and they will charge your account. We keep $50 in the account and it auto renews when we drop below $25. You will receive an email when it renews,You can specify the amounts. Pretty painless when you get set up.

417 has both auto toll and humans, not sure about others. Will cost somewhere around $9 one way on 417 paying as you go, having an account cuts tolls almost in half.

Batten down the hatches if you decide to ride the gauntlet on I-4 thru Orlando. Would highly recommend an alternate route such as 417.

<'))))>(