RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #71

I also don't understand the fright of the Grapevine unless it's your first downhill.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
On this trip I'm planning for next fall, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Washington down the coast switch over from 101 to 395 in northern California, down to Bakersfield and across to Las Vegas to Zion around the north rim of the GC, down to Flagstaff then home to Mesa.....I think there must be at least a dozen or better grades (up and down) of 6% or better for several miles. So what makes the Grapevine any different than all those other passes that I'm going to be going over?

P.S. I'm not planning on going down I-5 at the Grapevine anyway, but why is everyone talking about it?

Bakersfield is between the 101 and the 395. You would need to head west to Bakersfield and then head back east to get to Las Vegas.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post
Bakersfield is between the 101 and the 395. You would need to head west to Bakersfield and then head back east to get to Las Vegas.
Yep, going to come around west to Bakersfield to do day trips to Sequoia N.P. then heading back east to Zion. But I don't think we are going to have to go over the dreaded Grapevine.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yep, going to come around west to Bakersfield to do day trips to Sequoia N.P. then heading back east to Zion. But I don't think we are going to have to go over the dreaded Grapevine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehachapi_Loop

If you are a train buff check out the Tehachapi Loop, You can see it from highway 58 as you are going to and from Bakersfield.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:27 AM   #75

Quote:
No you don't have to drive around the Grapevine which is on I-5 between Mettler down to Castaic.

Are you staying in Bakersfield to tour Sequoia? There are much closer towns to stay. Then to get to Las Vegas take 99 and east on 58 to Barstow then I-15.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #76

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
No you don't have to drive around the Grapevine which is on I-5 between Mettler down to Castaic.

Are you staying in Bakersfield to tour Sequoia? There are much closer towns to stay. Then to get to Las Vegas take 99 and east on 58 to Barstow then I-15.
Yes, unless there is some other reason to be there? We plan to spend 4 days there to get up into the mountains. I didn't see any CGs that looked very good further north, but we don't want to go as far as Fresno. Do you have any recommendations?
Old 12-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #77

Quote:
Yes, unless there is some other reason to be there? We plan to spend 4 days there to get up into the mountains. I didn't see any CGs that looked very good further north, but we don't want to go as far as Fresno. Do you have any recommendations?
Google for RV parks at Lemon Cove, Three Rivers, Visalia, Exeter to get you started.

I would really recommend you get closer than Bakersfield because you'll have a lot of miles to cover and some will be very slow as you approach Sequoia.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #78

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Google for RV parks at Lemon Cove, Three Rivers, Visalia, Exeter to get you started.

I would really recommend you get closer than Bakersfield because you'll have a lot of miles to cover and some will be very slow as you approach Sequoia.
I'll tell you, since this thread was I-5 North of Sacramento, and now we're talking about Bakersfield, I'll just ask about Sequoia in a new thread topic. We'll let I-5 North die before the Grapevine comes up again.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I'll tell you, since this thread was I-5 North of Sacramento, and now we're talking about Bakersfield, I'll just ask about Sequoia in a new thread topic. We'll let I-5 North die before the Grapevine comes up again.
Good idea...I have some info about Sequoia.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote