RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 06:11 PM   #15

It all helps. I'll aim to hit the outskirts of LA around noon, and slide through the 405.

I now remember I have stayed here at the Almond Tree Oasis and Resort. It is just bearable as a pit stop, probably should be called a "cess-pit" stop.

Not a lot of good choices the right distance from SD or coming south from the last good place to stop north of Sacramento.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #16

I stayed at Almond Tree. I had to move my rv due to bad power. No ground in many plugs. The place is a dump.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
It all helps. I'll aim to hit the outskirts of LA around noon, and slide through the 405.

I now remember I have stayed here at the Almond Tree Oasis and Resort. It is just bearable as a pit stop, probably should be called a "cess-pit" stop.

Not a lot of good choices the right distance from SD or coming south from the last good place to stop north of Sacramento.
There is a small park near Coalinga @ an I-5 exit (behind a couple of fuel stops). Not much to choose from south of the Grapevine on I-5.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
There is a small park near Coalinga @ an I-5 exit (behind a couple of fuel stops). Not much to choose from south of the Grapevine on I-5.
That's the Almond farm that others have mentioned. But OP is likely in San Diego by now.
His best bet would have been the 15. Not the 5 or 405.
2Yung2 Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #19

So, I-5 isn't bad. Going south we stopped at:
  • 7 Feathers (very nice)
  • Rolling Hills (not bad)
  • Almond Tree near Coalinga (armpit, but we've experienced worse).

Then we stayed at the fairgrounds at Del Mar.

Going north we stopped at:
  • Los Banos KOA (not bad)
  • Yreka RV Park (for a pit stop it was very nice but simple)
  • Longview/Mount St. Helens KOA (a very poor choice for a big rig towing).

I-5 is not bad, few bits where we drove in the left lane because the right lane was very choppy, but over all the bad bits were only a few minutes. 405 through LA is just busy and fast, not fun in a big rig but nothing you can't handle. Came back via the 1-5 through LA based on Google's recommendation (weekday late morning), and it is a bit worse and tighter than the 405.

Warning about the Longview KOA - we called ahead and told them we wanted a pull-through that was able to take a 65 foot rig. They didn't say their so-called pull through spots don't have sewer. Not a huge issue except that one of our dogs had thrown up on the couch and we had to wash the covers. We could use the washer but couldn't dump. Also, the three pull-through spots are very hard to get into in a clean turn - they were laid out long before the first 45 foot MH was built.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #20

We live in Ocean Shores, WA and prefer going down I-5 to the Portland area. then going over Mt. Hood to Hwy. 97, down to Klamath Falls, to Hwy. 39 (turning into Hwy. 139, to 299 (Alturas) and then south on Hwy. 395.
You will dip into Reno area. Stay south and you will end up in CA again.
We stayed on this until the 215 (chose Cajon Pass as the lesser of the descending evils into S. Cal) which turns inti the 15 nd takes you to San Diego.

We are originally (born & raised) from S. Cal and much prefer this route.
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
We live in Ocean Shores, WA and prefer going down I-5 to the Portland area. then going over Mt. Hood to Hwy. 97, down to Klamath Falls, to Hwy. 39 (turning into Hwy. 139, to 299 (Alturas) and then south on Hwy. 395.
You will dip into Reno area. Stay south and you will end up in CA again.
We stayed on this until the 215 (chose Cajon Pass as the lesser of the descending evils into S. Cal) which turns inti the 15 nd takes you to San Diego.

We are originally (born & raised) from S. Cal and much prefer this route.
Mike, that is an interesting route. I see you are pulling a 22 ft trailer behind a pickup. How would you feel about doing that at 64 feet overall length and tipping in at about 46,000 lbs?

I'm not asking to be smart, I really look hard at secondary highways and sometimes they are a delight, sometimes in a rig our size you have to slow down a whole lot to make some turns, and often you find out when you are REALLY close to them. I used to pull a trailer behind a van and was much more courageous.

Also, how does it compare for travel time compared to bombing down the I 5? Time is not always a factor, but sometimes it is.

Last, how do you feel about doing it in January or February? I moved to Vancouver Island partly to get away from winter mountain driving!
Old 03-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #22

1. My name is not Mike
2. I THOUGHT that the principle of these forums was to share
our thoughts and experiences.
3. Our overall length is 45 ft.
4. We are not fans of I-5 and are thrilled with our discovery of Hwy. 395
to head south
5. Twogypsies was an very encouraging factor in our route.

Happy Travels!
Old 03-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #23

Anyone know what we can expect? I also don't see much of an alternative to either downtown LA, or the Grapevine. Open to suggestions. Not in a mad dash, but also don't plan to spend a lot of time doing it.[/QUOTE]

You asked for an alternative. I gave it.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #24

Quote:
1. My name is not Mike
2. I THOUGHT that the principle of these forums was to share
our thoughts and experiences.
3. Our overall length is 45 ft.
4. We are not fans of I-5 and are thrilled with our discovery of Hwy. 395
to head south
5. Twogypsies was an very encouraging factor in our route.

Happy Travels!
1. Is your name Nancy then? Your signature says Nancy and Mike. My bad for assuming you were Mike.
2. You are correct, and when you share your experiences it generates a conversation, like the one we are having.
3. I figured you would be about 45 feet, which is about the length of the coach with hitch. My first van and trailer were about 42 feet, my second one was about 50 feet. There are roads I drove regularly in those rigs I'd never go near in my current one. Since I've never driven that route I wondered what your thoughts would be if you were half again as long and about twice the weight. See 2 above.
4. We don't like pretty much any part of I-5, which is why your route interested me, but I thought you could provide some more perspective.
5. What is Twogypsies?
Old 03-16-2020, 10:33 PM   #25

Quote:
You asked for an alternative. I gave it.
You seem angry that I expressed interest in the route and asked a few more questions. It comes down to -
1. Would you think it would be pleasant in a big rig?
2. Would you drive it in winter?
3. How much time does it add?

If these questions offend you perhaps you should not answer questions.