Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I-65 - avoid it in Indiana if possible!!!

This is by FAR the worst interstate I have ever driven on. Heading from Chicago to Florida on this road was the worst driving experience I have had in long while. The right lane has potholes about every 1/8 mile. I'd drive in the left lane, but I keep it between 60-65 and the truckers would run me over.
Diane had to get up and close cabinet doors and drawers several times because they flew open. At one point the clock over the door did a swan dive (fortunately with no damage), and it was "permanently" mounted.
This road is a disgrace.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #2

Try living here.
Scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #3

The interstates and many local road have suffered from lack of maintenance/repair.... I just hope it gets better fast. Driving with an SUV or auto, doesn't equate to the bouncing/rattling that a motor home does/makes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
This is by FAR the worst interstate I have ever driven on. Heading from Chicago to Florida on this road was the worst driving experience I have h
This road is a disgrace.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Welcome to Indiana where we charge absurdly high vehicle registration fees in order to poorly maintain our roads.
Please feel free to express your thought to our Governor.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

And Indiana fuel taxes are some of the highest in the nation. Obviously not going towards road upkeep.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Everywhere I go, when I hit a bump it is a spot that needs to be fixed.
If I hit a big bump, it is where they fixed one.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I live in the Hoosier state. Trust me, I-65 and I-70 are as bad as the Pennsylvania turnpike. All bounce, bang, and tear up your coach. We have plenty of money to freely hand it to our enemies in foreign aid, but can't fix our roads or feed our hungry. Sad, but look at those who take care of themselves in D.C.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #8

Yes! I just returned to Kalamazoo, Mi. from Florida a couple weeks ago. I-65 was the worst highway of all!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #9

Well__ not really the worst in the state; drive I80/90 slow lane once. Former Governor Daniels sold the toll road for $80B to a foreign company to maintain, they do not. Poor interstates is a pattern in Indiana, who BTW has more miles of interstate than any other state. I69 is not completed from Evansville to Indianapolis yet; but they are already repairing/rebuilding sections completed 2 years ago.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After our experience on I-65, we decided to take I-24 and I-57 back home to Chicago. A much better experience. Still has it's bumpy spots, but not the massive potholes that I-65 has.
On a side note, there were two fatalities on I-65 in Indiana on Saturday, one was an SUV tire blowout and rollover that killed the driver (right hand lane, right side tire), the other was caused by the resulting traffic back up. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the blowout was caused by the SUV hitting a monster pothole and losing control. Nope, wouldn't surprise me a bit.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #11

Baraff, both of those fatalities were college guys not wearing seatbelts, and were ejected from the SUV. The other guys in the vehicle were wearing seatbelts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Good info. I was planning on driving I 65. Is this true south of Indianapolis?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #13

We drive this route at least once a year from Lexington, KY. through Louisville to Indianapolis and have not found it to be bad. Maybe different RV chassis respond differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Good info. I was planning on driving I 65. Is this true south of Indianapolis?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #14

we were on that highway last weekend. It was horrific. The motorhome made a lot of noise that was not expected. There is a chassis or body rattle that wasn't there prior also. Now I gave to locate what it is. The OP was right, the left lane is much better but at 62 MPH, no one was happy. Several semi's were also staying in the left lane. On the right side you could see the affects of the road based on their tire movements.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote