Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

I-70 Eisenhower

In a week I am heading to the East coast from CA, traveling I-70.

I'll be driving a 2008, 31', Class A with a V-10.

Understand that the trek over Eisenhower is quite the hump. Since I've never traveled this way before I'm anxious to hear from anyone who has made this trip before.

All responses will be really appreciated and taken to heart for sure.

Thanks
iquilt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #2

I too would be interested as I would like to do this from Salt Lake City Utah to Denver Colorado in June with my V10.

Hopefully we hear some advice, please kEep me posted on your trek.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's a hard pull and you can easily get stuck behind a large truck. Just take your time, drop a couple of gears and you'll be fine with your V-10.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #4

I have travelled I-70 through CO west to east a couple of times in a V-10 Winnebago Adventurer ...

The ascents are not the problem ... the descents are the dangerous segments.

The uphill pulls will cause your transmission to downshift and the engine RPMs to increase ... make sure that you pay attention to what gear you are in because when you get to the top you will need to downshift to that same gear to safely get down the other side. If your speed increases beyond what you are comfortable with use short stabs of your brakes to bring your speed under control ... do not ride your brakes!

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I've done it four times with a 35' class A Ford. As others have said , take your time. You'll have no problem as far as power is concerned. The road is engineered to bring you up and down gradually.

Cliff , Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #6

I've done it with both gassers and a diesel. It's not a problem, just take you time and as others have stated, take it easy on the downgrades.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #7

Hello

I have driven this highway in a 2010 33 foot Hurricane with the V10 engine in early April last year and had no problems. Motorhome kept up with the other large vehicles on the highway.

Norm
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #8

I did it towing my 5er with no problem. I was able to hold my normal 62 mph all the way up. Going down, the cruise control, transmission, and exhaust brake kept me under control with only an occasional tap on the brakes.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I-70 Eisenhower

We take out 36' A towing a Chevy Tracker over couple times a year to visit kids in Denver. No problems just gets a little slow at the tunnel. Several high speed lanes and a couple of truck lanes to pick from. Start slow coming out of the tunnel an you will do fine keeping your speed down.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Not only watch out for the climb up and down to Eisenhower-Johnson tunnel, the highest point in the U.S. interstate system (11,158 ft ) but to the west of that is Vail Pass at 10,662 feet. It has grades up to 8% in steepness. On both, pay attention to engine RPM and temperature. Don't let the engine 'lug', working too hard at too low an RPM. Temperatures will spike and will actually cool faster at a higher RPM. Downshift going down, let the engine retard your speed, not your brakes. Apply brakes firmly and drop speed 10 mph, THEN TAKE FOOT OFF THE PEDAL. This allows them to cool between applications. Worst behavior is to apply brakes gently, for longer periods of time, heating them up to failure. Pull off occasionally to take in the view and walk around RV checking brakes and tires. If you drop below 40 mph, turn on flashers to give others warning, but when you exceed 40 mph TURN THEM OFF. It's not a bad drive, I've done it many times and enjoyed it. Stop in Idaho Springs and have some Beau Jo's Pizza, Colorado style pizza! Be aware, the downhill slope from the east end of the Eisenhower tunnel lasts all the way to Golden, 50 miles. (a few flat spots, but mostly downhill, some steep sections) Don't relax your braking habit of firm on, then off until next need, all the way to the bottom.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

50 miles downhill to Golden! Time to use the Georgia overdrive!
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We did it in our creaky old 88 Bounder in July of 2012. Had no troubles with either Vail or Eisenhower. It was just a long, 28-mph climb for both. And oddly, I don't remember any special problems coming down either. Not even sure I ever down shifted. We stopped in Idaho Springs for what was the most expensive Regular gas price on the whole trip from Jersey to SLC and back. It was rainy/drizzy all the way to Denver and down into Limon.

As many others have noted, the excitement of the Vail/Eisenhower run will be looked back on fondly as you traverse the mind-numbingly boring route from Denver to Kansas City on I-70.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I've done it in a gasser many times and it was a slow pain. Drove it last year in a 40' Diesel Pusher with air brakes and it was a breeze. Passed all the other big rigs going uphill and intermittent air brakes only coming down. Nothing beats a DP in the big mountains. Been driving this route for the past 40 years before the road through Glenwood Canyon was divided and improved.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #14

Well, I made the trip from Denver to Salt Lake City on I-70. First, thanks everyone for the many good pieces of advice! My 2000 ford v10 handled it well, but now that I have accomplished that stretch of road, I would not do it again unless I had to. It consumed much of my fuel, and when I did need to fill up, it was difficult to locate a decent station that handles MHs. From grand junction to green river was extremely windy for me (sill a newbee).

Now the positive part: most beautiful stretch of road that I know of! Snow capped Mountains, streams, rivers, old towns. Then the dry desert with unbelievable colors!
We loved the scenery and wished we had more time to get out and experience a hike or two.

We stayed at Green River State Park Utah...no water hookup, electric only. Moved on to Palisade State Park Utah and had a fantastic experience. This place even has a 18 hole golf course and club house that sells beer.

Overall...great trip!! Albeit, with a bit of wind and expensive gas.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote