Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #1

I 70 from Grand Junction to Denver

We have a 30’ bay Star (f 53 chassis and ford motor)pulling a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We do pretty good in mountain areas, but what I can see about this section of highway gives me a pause. Am I being over cautious or is the pass not all that bad? is there a difference if we go from Denver to Grand Junction?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #2

From Grand Junction to Denver— you have Vail Pass then the Eisenhower Tunnel through Loveland Pass. Both passes have a long pull up them but the Eisenhower tunnel pull from silver thorn to the tunnel entrance is most problematic. You might want to think about unhooking your toad and driving that separately. I’ve seen quite a few RV’s over heat. There is a 6 to 7% grade going into Denver after Idaho Springs that stretches for about 5 miles you’ll need to watch your speed and brakes on that as well
if you stay on 70. There is an alternate route after Idaho Springs Highway 6 that will take you into Golden that has minimal slope. Going from Denver to Grand Junction increases your long pull up from Denver to Buffalo Overlook. Then a decline into Idaho Springs and then a long pull up to the Eisenhower tunnel and then a real steep decline in the Silverthorne. Then on to Vail Pass which I think is easier. Between the two I think that Grand Junction to Denver is probably a bit easier than the reverse. If you think your rig has enough power to go over both passes and brakes to handle the declines many many people do it —it’s a beautiful drive especially Glenwood Canyon between Glenwood Springs and gypsum. Safe travels
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkexpress1 View Post
From Grand Junction to Denver— you have Vail Pass then the Eisenhower Tunnel through Loveland Pass. Both passes have a long pull up them but the Eisenhower tunnel pull from silver thorn to the tunnel entrance is most problematic. You might want to think about unhooking your toad and driving that separately. I’ve seen quite a few RV’s over heat. There is a 6 to 7% grade going into Denver after Idaho Springs that stretches for about 5 miles you’ll need to watch your speed and brakes on that as well
if you stay on 70. There is an alternate route after Idaho Springs Highway 6 that will take you into Golden that has minimal slope. Going from Denver to Grand Junction increases your long pull up from Denver to Buffalo Overlook. Then a decline into Idaho Springs and then a long pull up to the Eisenhower tunnel and then a real steep decline in the Silverthorne. Then on to Vail Pass which I think is easier. Between the two I think that Grand Junction to Denver is probably a bit easier than the reverse. If you think your rig has enough power to go over both passes and brakes to handle the declines many many people do it —it’s a beautiful drive especially Glenwood Canyon between Glenwood Springs and gypsum. Safe travels
Obviously knows the area. Run this both directions in a 75ft truck weighing in at 80,000lbs many times. Take your time on the down grades, you can go down many times too slow, once too fast.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkexpress1 View Post

Thanks. Will look at the alternate route you suggested. You did confirm my concern. Not something I want to do in a hurry.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:28 AM   #5

From Grand Junction you could also take Hwy 50 to Montrose and then 50 east to Salida; north a short distance on 285 to Buena Vista then 285 into Denver area - depending where you want to end up in the area.

You'll have Monarch Pass on 50 - a climb and then a descent of about 10 miles at 6%.

On I-70 you'll have the Eisenhower Tunnel section and also Vail Pass with a steep uphill and then a downhill.

You have to get over those mountains somehow! We really like Hwy 50.

Going down - get into lower gear before you even begin heading down; not in the midst of the downhill.

Where are you coming from before Grand Junction. Perhaps a different route altogether would be easier. Do you really need to go through Denver or are you heading somewhere else? Interstates aren't always the best way to travel. We love the secondary highways. They're more easy-going and we can take our time and pull over easy, if needed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Morning NorCal27,

I live in Colorado Springs and have kids that live in Glenwood Springs. I've been through the mountains in Colorado in every direction and every weather variation. In other words I've been there and done that! I've done it countless times in a 1988 32' Bounder on a Chevy chassis with a 230 HP engine towing a Jeep Cherokee. That's a heavier motorhome with lots less motor than you have.

From your profile I see that you are driving a 2010 model F53. This drivetrain under a 30' motorhome gives you lots of reserve even towing your Jeep. Presuming your vehicles are in good condition the vehicles won't have any problems. You won't go fast but you will make it without any problems. Plenty of power going up and the tow/haul feature in your motorhome transmission makes many of the driving decisions for you on the downhill side. Just be sure to go down SLOW! 35 MPH or so on the steep portions of the road. Just take a deep breath...say "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can...I thought I could! It's not your motorhome that is the limiting factor. It is your confidence.

The options Grand Junction/Denver either directions are few. Any alternative to I70 adds a LOT of miles and most don't take away the steep grades. Using US6 may reduce the grade some but it adds a LOT of curves on a two lane highway with limited passing lanes. You can't pass anyone and they can't pass you! I would rather do the long grades unless I were simply sightseeing.

Not said by others is that I70 has gotten into pretty bad shape. In places the road is really rough and pot holed. Heavy duty trucks have created big ruts in places. It's a bouncy ride. Your shocks and bump stops will get a work out!

If you really want to avoid the grades you could do this: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Gran...39.7392358!3e0

No real grades this route but yikes...makes a 4 hour trip into a 10 hour trip!

Your best option is to buckle up, take a deep breath, pay attention to your driving, don't grip the steering wheel too hard and take I70! Literally...millions of motorhomes towing a vehicle have made this trip. If they can...you can!
Old 07-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #7

Time to get the map out and plot your suggestions. We don’t have an itinerary yet, just want to explore Colorado, Covid willing this fall. We were going to go to the east coast, but think that might just be a culdesac waiting to return us home to the west coast.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We did it west bound a lot of years ago with our 2001 35' F 53 Adventurer. Near the top we were at about 25 mph. Potato chip bags popped and the engine roared. I started down in first gear and kept it slow all the way down; we were towing a Cherokee. I thought it was an adventure but Jean still refuses to travel there again.
Be prepared to go very slow up and down and you'll be fine.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did Grand Junction to Denver, and back, in our smart car a couple of years ago. there were times the smart car dropped to about 50 mph but other than that it had no problem going either direction - with it's little 3 cylinder 1000cc engine.

We did Hwy 50 east to west, over Monarch Pass, in our 36 foot Bounder on a Workhorse chassis, towing that smart car, and it was all we could do to maintain 25 mph up to the top. Going down was no problem with the grade brake built in to the Allison transmission, but it kept the engine singing in the 4000 rpm area!