Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #1

I-70 Golden to Grand Junction ??

Scratching my head as I am seeing confusing info regarding the status of I-70 west of metro Denver? Anyone recently traveled between Golden and Grand Junction? Heading to Moab the second week of August.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Scratching my head as I am seeing confusing info regarding the status of I-70 west of metro Denver? Anyone recently traveled between Golden and Grand Junction? Heading to Moab the second week of August.....
https://www.codot.gov/travel/scheduled-lane-closures

Only CDOT can tell you - Best of Luck,

Alternate may be on a weekend on RT 50 south of I-70 BUT it to has issues and is basically closed all week ecept at Lunch or in the Early AM.

Guessing - Colorado really is a Mess right now - sure glad we were there all last summer and Fall.

Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:36 PM   #3

Thanks Skipper. Was on the CDOT site but didnt come across this page. Exactly what I was looking for....ps Superior, CO is a great place.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:41 AM   #4

Traveled that route this past May, but from West to East. It did not seem to be any large hang ups going west. I will say the east bound route will loosen every nut and bolt you have. Its a road in very bad condition.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drove from Denver to Glenwood Springs 2 weeks ago. I encountered very heavy traffic most of the way from Denver to Silverthorne. A 3 hour trip took me almost 5 hours!

The current closures in Glenwood canyon should be cleared by mid August. I70 between Denver and Silverthorne is mostly a hit and miss proposition...sometimes OK....sometimes the traffic is really bad...the rough spots in the road are always there!

I live in Colorado Springs and travel to Glenwood Springs/Grand Junction several times a year. I generally take US24 out of Colorado Springs and follow it to its junction with I70 at Minturn. This takes away most of the problematic portions of I70. US24 takes you over Tennessee Pass and Battle Mountain into Minturn. This is a good 2 lane highway with some grades and hairpin turns but relatively tame compared to other Colorado mountain passes. However getting to Colorado Springs from Golden can be a problem. The road construction project from Castle Rock to Monument can be as big a pain as construction and traffic on I70!

You have options but none of them are better than taking your chances on I70! Check CDOT just before you travel!

Colorado travel is just a mess this year!
Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM   #6

I-70, especially through Glenwood Canyon, is really unpredictable this summer. Fires in state last year killed ground vegetation and have made mud slides terrible when it rains this summer. A number of people have been killed this year in mud slides. Glenwood canyon has been closed several times in the last few weeks. I heard one slide went across the road and completely across the river. If you are coming from Michigan, I would be temped to stay north a little longer and drop down south to I-70 west of Glenwood canyon, probably coming down Hwy 13 catching I-70 at Rifle. Several miles of 2 lane road that way, but probably less chance of getting delayed if they have another slide in Glenwood canyon. Pay attention to the road conditions and weather. If there is rain predicted for Glenwood springs a day or two before you plan on passing that area, I would avoid Glenwood Canyon. Someone mentioned Hwy 50, but there is major construction project there between Montrose and Gunnison. That construction is expected to last until November. The road going around that construction is very twisty, great if you are on a motorcycle.
letsride4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If traveling I70 West of Denver I strongly suggest checking with Colorado DOT for road closures. I70 is currently closed due to mud slides and it stated will be closed thru the weekend. More rain is expected next week in that area between Silverthorne and Rifle. The North detour route is all good roads for motorhomes and travel trailers. It's about 200 miles further. Been there done that!
Old 07-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
I was looking at the CODOT page Busskipper shared. Interesting read, this article from them sounds like they have a big problem in Glenwood Canyon area. ~CA

https://www.codot.gov/news/2021/july...ational-update
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #9

Yikes!! That could sure put a damper on a vacation to overly crowded national parks at a 103* and full of forest fire smoke(ha)
Old 07-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #10

Hi,
I live in the area.
There is an area uphill from the highway that has a lot of fresh burn scar.
It's monsoon season, and the rain is causing repeated closures of the highway. As of me writing this (7/31 1530) the highway is closed, and likely to remain that way thru the weekend and possibly longer as crews work to clear several feet of landslide from both directions of I-70 near Grizzly Creek.
When threatening WX approaches, work is halted for road crew safety, so the real time frame of when they highway will open is hard to predict.
Additionally there is a ton of other construction in the canyon besides the debris clearing, and even when the highway is open, they will close it out of an abundance of caution anytime there is a chance of rain, which is daily this time of year. Those closures are fairly short notice and can catch you past the detour point.
Because of the I-70 situation, fuel on the west side of the state has had the supply chain disrupted and stations with no fuel are becoming a regular thing, and prices have shot up due to availability and trucks having to haul fuel from further away.
CDoT is pushing a detour thru Steamboat springs, which is a PIA. If I were still on the Denver side and my final destination WAS NOT Grand Junction, but points to the west of GJ, I would skip I-70, and shoot up to 80.