RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
I-75 to FL

Driving the elderly parents back home to Florida in our ( new to us ) '99 Fleetwood Flair. Looking at going the direct route straight down I75, from Detroit to FLorida. Don't want to do any mountains I don't have to.
How is construction, road condition, ect on this route? Anyone done it recently?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFretz View Post
Driving the elderly parents back home to Florida in our ( new to us ) '99 Fleetwood Flair. Looking at going the direct route straight down I75, from Detroit to FLorida. Don't want to do any mountains I don't have to.
How is construction, road condition, ect on this route? Anyone done it recently?
I-75 straight down will take you to Everglade City or Miami - depending on where you get off. As you probably know already, I-75 travels the gulf side of Florida.

Road condition varies by state....

I can't speak about construction currently, but I can tell you mountains will be in the picture. Especially in Kentucky and Tennessee. They will not be anything your rig can't handle - assuming the rig is in good mechanic order. Cooling system - brakes.

It will be slow going in the mountains - both going up and coming down. Again - nothing the rig can't handle. If you are inexperienced with motor home travel in the mountains - I am sure there will be plenty of advice on iRV2 if you want it. Coming down safely is most important.

If you do not want mountains - we are in the Indianapolis area and shoot down I-65 to I-10- to I-75. Would be out of your way though. Not sure about working your way over to I-95 for a less mountainous ride.

As far as construction, you should be able to get online and Google I-75 for construction updates.

Good luck - safe travels.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #3

We use 175 from Ohio to TN several time a month in the summer. From Dayton to near Cincy is heavily patrolled by the state police so stay near the speed limit. The biggest challenge on this drive is getting through Cincy, always under construction and slow going and then getting over the interstate bridge. Has had lane construction all summer with delays up to 1-2 hours. Good news is a couple weeks ago we were told they were about to finish up the bridge lane work. If not might consider using 275 around. Then in Kentucky there is a lot of ongoing road expansion going on in multiple locations can't be avoided. Grades are not that bad but there are some long ones. Then further along your route is Atlanta always busy. Good luck try to avoid rush hours.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
I just traveled I75 from Knoxville to Macon GA and back. No big issues with construction other than the normal Atlanta never ending construction. Construction in the Macon area but again not too bad.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #5

South of the Ohio River after you cross into Kentucky there is road construction going on. So take the bypass around Cincinnati, it comes out right below the construction area. We just went to Pigeon Forge from Wilmington, Ohio and used the bypass. It is about 20 miles farther but no construction on it.
In Kentucky around London is some major road construction I think it goes for around 22 miles, it will NOT be finished anytime soon. So plan on slowing down thru there.
The biggest hill you will have to drive is Jellico at the Kentucky/Tennessee state line. The welcome center there is awful busy and it is very difficult to find a parking spot to stop. The Welcome Center lot is small, you may have spaces for a dozen big rigs/trucks, and you will need to parallel park, the driving lane goes down the center of the road.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #6
NXR

"Mountains" is a relative term. Jellico, TN is the highest and it's barely over 2,000 feet. I live south of Cleveland, OH and I'm at 1,000 feet. We took I-71 to I-75 and then I-75 all the way into Florida last year and will do the same this year.

Last year in early December we had some snow flurries on Jellico near the top and there was some snow on the ground but not 100% covered. Just park yourself in the right-hand lane behind some truck and meander your way up and back down.

If you have Tow/Haul mode available, use it. It will provide better braking by downshifting. Otherwise you'll probably want to downshift manually to slow down going down the hills to avoid riding and overheating the brakes. Yes, the engine likely will scream for a while so be sure you know your engine RM limits. Our Triton V10 handles that automatically for us.

Ray
Old 10-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for your input... much appreciated!
Old 10-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
if you call up google maps on your computer and enter your start and end destination, it will show you all construction and traffic jams along that route. Of course it could change during the trip, but gives a nice overview.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Try to avoid going thru Atlanta during peak traffic periods. The bypasses don't help as all trucks are required to use them and not go thru town on I-75. Best to try to go thru Atlanta mid-day or after 8 PM. We got delayed a couple years ago on our way to Florida and traffic was thick even at 7 PM.

Word of caution: The whole I-75 & I24 interchange is being completely rebuilt in Chattanooga, TN. We just went thru there in June. Check the TDOT website for region 2, Hamilton County, I-75 project for current construction conditions.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
Try to avoid going thru Atlanta during peak traffic periods.
Any idea if that is still the case? When we came back in March it was a speed limit trip all the way through Atlanta on I-75 but I imagine there's a bit more traffic nowadays. I'm just wondering if the traffic is back to pre-COVID levels.

Ray
Old 10-10-2020, 07:04 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update

Just completed this trip, and took 4 days, as I'm the only driver, and we stopped when I got tired LOL

Went around Cincinnati as advised... good call, but the bypass roads are terrible...
Avoided Atlanta... did the bypass, as I went thru around 10AM and was not sure... bypass was no problem. There was some traffic snaffu south of Atlanta but that only lasted a few minutes.

Other than the occasional construction traffic moved well all the way!
Old 10-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Drove straight through Atlanta on I-75 three days ago. Smooth sailing at 10 AM. Go mid-day to avoid rush hour. Chatanooga has construction but traffic was moving smoothly and normally through the area, again at mid-day. Don’t get caught in these areas during rush hour.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #13

I hope the OP has done a through going thru of that 21 year old motorhome. How old are the tires? Serpentine belt, hoses, etc? If its been sitting, have you pulled the mouse nests out of the air intake and elsewhere? It would take me months to prep a vehicle that old for a trip like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Any idea if that is still the case? When we came back in March it was a speed limit trip all the way through Atlanta on I-75 but I imagine there's a bit more traffic nowadays. I'm just wondering if the traffic is back to pre-COVID levels.

Ray
Traffic is much heavier than in April/May/June. Yes, its nearly back to "normal" and now everyone drives faster than before for some reason.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFretz View Post
Just completed this trip, and took 4 days, as I'm the only driver, and we stopped when I got tired LOL

Went around Cincinnati as advised... good call, but the bypass roads are terrible...
Other than the occasional construction traffic moved well all the way!
Glad to help out. But the by-pass roads are allot better than the I-75 thru Cincy. Construction areas thru there are horrible. The Brent-Spence Bridge is getting to be really old and myself wish they would start on replacing it.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote