Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #1

I-84 NY/CT to Hammonasett Beach State Park

I'm a newer TT driver and this will be my third, and longest, solo trip, traveling east from the NY;/CT border on I-84, with my destination being Hammonasett Beach State Park, right off of I-95. I've made this trip many times in my car, but it's a bit different when pulling a TT! I've also logged about 800 driving miles with my husband, being both pilot and co-pilot, so I'm not completely a newbie, although far from feeling comfortable, especially driving solo.

There are many ways to get from 84 down to 95 and I'm wondering what the easiest route would be for me to take. I'm comfortable with merging onto a highway, as long a traffic is not too intense. (translation - fairly easy to merge!). I'd like to avoid the Bridgeport area on 84, as there always seems to be construction going on and lots of lane changes and merges. I'm probably more comfortable with 84 than I am with 95.

I've checked google maps and RVLife GPS and I'm getting a bit boggled by the many alternatives. I've used street view with Google Maps so I have a sense of the different alternatives.

My question is - given I'm a new and not quite comfortable driver, how would you suggest I get from the Danbury area of I-84 down to Hammonasett/I-95?

Some possibilities:
84 to Route 7 to 95
84 to Route 25 to 95
84 to CT-122 to CT-34 to 95
Staying on 84 through Bridgeport to 691 to 9

I'm not looking for shortest, or quickest. I'm looking for the route that will allow me to drive at a speed that feels comfortable to me without feeling pushed by other drivers, and a route that will give me the least amount of white knuckle driving.

I've learned tons since I've started this adventure, and have spent hours in a parking lot practicing all sorts of maneuvers. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Now I just need to continue to get some miles under my belt.

Thanks muchly! I wouldn't be at this point in my education if it weren't for the many people who have shard their wisdom and experiences with me. Very grateful for all the support I've received.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #2

I think we've used 84 to 7 to 95 the times we went there. I don't recall any part of the route being especially bad, but it's been a few years.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #3

If you're okay with highway speeds you can go I-84 to Route 8 in Waterbury that'll get you on I-95 just west of Bridgeport (Exit 27) and then East to Hammonasset (exit 62)
Any route East of Route 8 will be secondary roads to the beach except perhaps for I-84 to I691 to I-91 South, then I-95 to Exit 62. That's not necessarily the shortest route, but it is all highway with easy exits and entrances
(BTW: A Word of caution on the I-84 / I-691 exit... the highway before the exit is a 9% grade and about 2 miles long, so you need to drop your speed at the top of the grade, or risk burning through a set of brakes!)
All that said though... The most direct rout is I-84 to -691 (it turns into Route 66... No not that one...) to Route 147 then 17 and Route 79 (with a turn onto 450 (the Hammonasset connector)
Once you hit Waterbury, to Hammonasset is only 41 miles (55 minutes)... you'll see some real nice parts of Central Connecticut Countryside, but you will be n descent secondary road after I-691...
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #4

I take the I-84 to US-7 route regularly to visit family, as I grew up a stoneís throw from the end of US-7. Single lane on some stretches, and not very fast, but a nice ride nonetheless. But then youíd have to take I-95 along one of the most congested parts of its entire length, which is coastal CT.

If it were me, Iíd stick to I-84 to I-691 to I-91. I used to drive trailers and heavy trucks in that area for years, but would prefer to stay on the interstates.

One caution if you decide to take state routes and other roads that are not interstates - watch the bridge clearances. Use a nav or planning program that includes bridge clearances. Even US-1, which parallels I-95, has low railroad bridge clearance, like in the middle of Darien at 11í-3Ē. All along the northeast corridor, most RR bridges are low since the rails were originally built in the 1800ís, and you have to know where the high ones are, if youíve got a tall trailer at least.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #5

Thanks for those suggestions and Iím somewhat familiar with all of them, although not through the eyes of towing. Iím more comfortable staying on 84 rather than traveling a longer distance along 95.

I would do the 84 to 691 route but I was nervous about the 84 stretch through Waterbury, as for years thereís been construction in that area with congestion and merging as number of lanes diminished.

Iím not afraid of highway driving. I AM nervous about having to merge in heavy traffic. Whatís the latest on 84 through Waterbury?

Thanks for the heads up about the steep grade near the 691 interchange and the warnings about low clearances on secondary roads. Iím a tad under 10í in height so I should be good, and I double check my route with the RVLife GPS.

Next what Iím going to need are some prayers for sun. Iím starting to feel a bit waterlogged!
Old 07-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

"All that said though... The most direct rout is I-84 to -691 (it turns into Route 66... No not that one...) to Route 147 then 17 and Route 79 (with a turn onto 450 (the Hammonasset connector)
Once you hit Waterbury, to Hammonasset is only 41 miles (55 minutes)... you'll see some real nice parts of Central Connecticut Countryside, but you will be n descent secondary road after I-691..."

This was the route I used and it was effortless. Had a great trip and greatly appreciated the help with directions. Many thanks!