Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

I 85 north of Atlanta to I 75 south of Atlanta

We are in Winder , Ga. northeast of Atlanta . I want to go south to join I 75 to Florida .Atlanta is a real pain to navigate with a big rig . Has anyone tried the state highways such as 81 or 129 to go around Atlanta ? Any comments on road conditions or traffic ?

Walter
Fleetwood DP & Jeep Wrangler
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #2

We will be heading down I-75 to SW Florida starting this Sunday. I normally drive right through Atlanta on 75, but I always time it so its done during non rush hour times. We project we will hit Atlanta around 11:00 AM on Monday this time. Unless there is an accident, it's usually clear sailing.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post
We are in Winder , Ga. northeast of Atlanta . I want to go south to join I 75 to Florida .Atlanta is a real pain to navigate with a big rig . Has anyone tried the state highways such as 81 or 129 to go around Atlanta ? Any comments on road conditions or traffic ?

Walter
Fleetwood DP & Jeep Wrangler
go east on 29 to 441 and take 441 down to 129 and then to Macon...get on I-16 for a few exits and follow the signs to I-75 and you are good....great route

or rt 83 all the way down to I-75 i Forsyth....another easy route...will see big trucks but not a problem....Chuck
need a great little rest..southern buffet...got Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle...
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

I was thinking 85 to 85 on my original post, so deleted it and updated accordingly below.......

We are not far from Winder, as long as you don't try and fight rush hour, you can just go straight though town. Going straight though, there are no big rig through trucks inside 285.

Or, you can take 85 to 285 around the east side of town, then catch 675 down to 75. Going around the east side then getting on 675 to 75 actually cuts a few miles off, but you can get a lot of truck traffic (but not nearly as bad as 285 going around the north and west side of town).

Check traffic before you leave, and pick accordingly. It's really not that bad........

In the car, I normally go around the east side, but you can get a higher speed benefit on that route in a car that you don't get in an RV.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said.. just go thru the middle of town on I75/I85 between 10 AM and 2 PM you shouldn't have any issues. Check to see if the Braves are playing during the middle of the day. They were today and I was hearing of traffic problems most of the day from that. ... or go after 7 or 8 PM. The lanes do get narrow inside I285, but traffic is light and easy to get thru and got on down the road if you stick to the time windows above.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #6

I drove thru Atlanta a couple weeks ago, I20 eastbound to I75 south, and had no problems inside the loop. South of it however, about Morrow to McDonough, the construction really made a mess, both north and southbound.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #7

I've done it on GA 11 or going eastward to US 129, both converging on Gray. I don't recall anything bad or exciting about either route.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #8

I have been driving it for over 25 years, both directions and found taking the beltway to be a lot worse. I have avoided going through during rush hour and it usually takes about 20 minutes. Unfortunately several weeks ago, going North, I got delayed and ended up going through at evening rush hour. It took me about 35 mins to get through Atlanta but there was a lot of construction around Marietta and it was a nightmare. Took us another hour to reach Rt 411. Coming down I85 should put you past that though.

Good luck.
dea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ask be aware that construction sour of Atlanta at the merge of 675 & 75 and below has lately been a a real nightmare. A small fender bender results in all out shutdown and miles of back up. The scenic routes suggested either on east or west side parallel of 75 aren't bad choices as less stress routes, and possibly not a lot slower.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote