RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 04:26 AM   #1

I-95 SC to Florida

Has anyone traveled I-95 south from SC to Florida lately ?
Just the other day I read that there was still a checkpoint at the Florida border ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 04:36 AM   #2

From the FLHSMV.gov website

"At the direction of Governor Ron DeSantis, the Florida Highway Patrol is assisting the Florida Department of Transportation and the Florida Department of Health (DOH) with checkpoints for motorists entering Florida on I-10 and I-95. To assist the public, the Florida Department of Health has a COVID-19 Call Center to address questions regarding vehicle checkpoints.

Please call 1-866-779-6121 or email your questions to COVID-19@flhealth.gov"

No check point on I 75 last weekend when I came through.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
From the FLHSMV.gov website

"At the direction of Governor Ron DeSantis, the Florida Highway Patrol is assisting the Florida Department of Transportation and the Florida Department of Health (DOH) with checkpoints for motorists entering Florida on I-10 and I-95. To assist the public, the Florida Department of Health has a COVID-19 Call Center to address questions regarding vehicle checkpoints.

Please call 1-866-779-6121 or email your questions to COVID-19@flhealth.gov"

No check point on I 75 last weekend when I came through.
It's on I-95 between the agriculture inspection station and the scales...
Fast E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:18 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
Has anyone traveled I-95 south from SC to Florida lately ?
Just the other day I read that there was still a checkpoint at the Florida border ?
Here's a handy source for COVID-19 related travel restrictions: https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...ccca0fbbfe0c7c

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went north through there last Saturday and observed what appeared to be at least a 4-5 mile back up. it was backed all the way up into Georgia. We did some research and on the return trip Sunday we saw that it was probably going to be as backed up again so we got off at the St. Mary's exit in Georgia, I believe its mm 3 or lower and went west a very short distance to 17. Took 17 south into Florida to Yulee, and took 200 back to the interstate. No delays, nice road. Probably added 20 minute to our trip but saved hours. The bridge to enter Florida on 17 is a bit narrow, so the big rigs may want to watch for traffic coming. We crossed as did a really big pick up and it was somewhat harrowing for the wife.
McChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

Just wanted to thank all for the replies.
I came north to Spartanburg from Florida on 75 to 675 , 285 & 85 to Spartanburg, traffic was terrible !
I was planning on going back to Florida on Monday & going back on 95.
Ended up leaving Saturday afternoon & returned on 85 & & 75 , traffic was heavy but at least it was moving.
Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Coming south on I-95 into FL is kind of a guess. Will you stop - yes. Will it be a long stop - it depends. It depends on time of day, day of week, amount of traffic, etc. And it seems to vary from hour-to-hour.

I've done it about 4 times now. Each time the routing of trucks and cars is slightly different. I'm not sure why other than it seemed the first time too many auto drivers couldn't read - when the signs said cars go to the right they went straight! Go figure!

And sometimes the highway 17 exit is closed so you don't try to bypass the checkpoint. Although the last time is was open.

Anyhow, the best was to decide for us is to simply use WAZE. We find it does the calculation on the fasted route. So far it has always been through the checkpoint.

Google maps is another good choice.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I just checked fl511.com and if it is updated correctly, no backups now. We are headed down 95 from Augusta tomorrow morning. Guess we will check back when we get close.
brandss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I just checked fl511.com and if it is updated correctly, no backups now. We are headed down 95 from Augusta tomorrow morning. Guess we will check back when we get close.
We will be heading that way from Augusta a week from Sunday. I95 is our preferred route but will bypass if necessary and come into Florida on a secondary road and then get back on I95 to Flagler Beach.

boomersooner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida