Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #1

The last time we went to Florida for Spring Break was the same time of the year: the week after Good Friday.

The way down wasn't so bad, but the way home was downright horrific. After traveling only 200 miles in 5 or 6 hours on 95, we called it a day and stopped for the night at 3 pm, then just got up at 3am the next morning to beat the traffic.

The camp manager said it's like that every year at the end of snowbird season. Any advice? We are thinking of actually coming home up through Atlanta and Asheville, just to see some different territory and avoid the mess.

Is it going to be any better???

Thanks, Amy

Instead of trying to find the meaning of life, live a life with meaning
amy5708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #2

The last time we went to Florida for Spring Break was the same time of the year: the week after Good Friday.

The way down wasn't so bad, but the way home was downright horrific. After traveling only 200 miles in 5 or 6 hours on 95, we called it a day and stopped for the night at 3 pm, then just got up at 3am the next morning to beat the traffic.

The camp manager said it's like that every year at the end of snowbird season. Any advice? We are thinking of actually coming home up through Atlanta and Asheville, just to see some different territory and avoid the mess.

Is it going to be any better???

Thanks, Amy

Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The CG manager was correct. The bottom line is one must plan for the traffic. Back up what you did to the time you leave your Florida site. Traveling in the "off" hours of the day is the best solution. For this time and situation, I75 is no better.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
paz

Last year, Easter was April 8. Does this mean traffic is bad the week AFTER Easter and that it will be bad this year the last week of March? Or will the worst of the rush be the week after that - the first week of April? Is the traffic mostly Spring Breakers or Snowbirds or both? We are planning to leave FL about this time, but since we are full-timers, our schedule is somewhat flexible. We would like to avoid the mess if possible. We will be heading up I-75 then west on I-10.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I75 comes to a standstill right around the first of April from the snowbirds, don't know about the spring breakers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Our experience.......

Last year we left the Tampa area about 7 AM on April 1st on a trip to San Antonio. I-75 traffic was busy but never approached a slow-up condition. West on I-10 through Talahassee it was busy but moved at normal speeds.

Take it for what it's worth. When leaving here around that time of year we have never had maddening traffic conditions. Busy? Yes, but moving.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Stopped traffic gives me time for a bathroom break or to have a sandwich and a drink. I don't mind it at all......in the motorhome. Being retired and on no time schedule helps a lot!

-Tom
leaving FL the second week of April

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
paz

Thanks to all for the traffic info. Sounds like it might not be too bad if we leave before the end of the month as planned. I don't so much mind a few slow-downs. I don't drive that fast anyway. As Tom says, those of us who are retired don't have to hurry. But miles of stop and go or creeping traffic is a waste of time and gas.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Stopped traffic gives me time for a bathroom break or to have a sandwich and a drink. I don't mind it at all......in the motorhome. Being retired and on no time schedule helps a lot!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great Tom: rub it in for those of us yet to retire and don't have the luxury for a mid-interstate repast because we have to get back to 'da man!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amy5708:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Stopped traffic gives me time for a bathroom break or to have a sandwich and a drink. I don't mind it at all......in the motorhome. Being retired and on no time schedule helps a lot!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great Tom: rub it in for those of us yet to retire and don't have the luxury for a mid-interstate repast because we have to get back to 'da man! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I drove I-95 for 20 years at Christmas time to visit my parents. That was when I worked and I allowed time for slow or stopped traffic. I've seen some wicked traffic slow downs on I-95. Mostly I got back to PA at least an hour before I had to return to work.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #11

Thanks for the advice; just to update, wanted to let you know we skipped Asheville and went up I-4 to I-95 and up. We decided to hit the road in Cape Coral 4am Friday and we were thrilled we did; traffic was just starting to thicken up North from Orlando. Very slow going through Georgia; are they ever going to finish the construction??

Everyone had out of state tags!