Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I miss Streets and Trips

I hope you don't see this as a dead horse that will never ride again. I continue to see threads about different navigation GPS's and tool. Most of the time I read about what they can't do. Just about all of the lamenting is what the old S&T program gave to us. No, it was not perfect. But it seems we have gone down hill from there.

I do wish we could all send letters to Microsoft pleading for the return of Streets and Trips. Asking them to give a little back to all of us who helped to make the company great by buying there operating systems from Dos on through windows 10, and the other software associated with fine computing, should not be considered a lot to ask of them.

If you are up to it here is their address:

Microsoft
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399

In truth, it may be a wast of a stamp but not trying is guaranteeing we wont be heard.

Thanks for reading my comments. Happy Trails all.

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I liked and used that program. I agree it's a shame that it's gone.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I still use S&T 2013 for general planning purposes. I keep it as up to date as I can with POI's such as RV parks and fuel stops from the POI Factory and low clearances from Low Clearances

I don't worry about the actual highways until I enter the stops into my driving GPS device, and then fly the route.

BTW, S&T 2013 trial version is still available for download. Microsoft is apparently no longer limiting activation keys, so if someone needs one send me a PM and I will send a key that should work.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I liked it too, unfirtunately I haven't found anything I like as well for planning a trip.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
YC1

I still use mine. It is great for references.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #6

There was a way to get amateur radio repeaters along the route. You gave the program the distance from the roads and all repeaters in range could be listed. I don't remember all the details.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Me too. I still use it. I'm sure the lack of updating will get me someday but its the best thing I've seen. You'd think they'd bring back support if they knew how much folks really appreciated it.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I hope you don't see this as a dead horse that will never ride again. I continue to see threads about different navigation GPS's and tool. Most of the time I read about what they can't do. Just about all of the lamenting is what the old S&T program gave to us. No, it was not perfect. But it seems we have gone down hill from there.

I do wish we could all send letters to Microsoft pleading for the return of Streets and Trips. Asking them to give a little back to all of us who helped to make the company great by buying there operating systems from Dos on through windows 10, and the other software associated with fine computing, should not be considered a lot to ask of them.

If you are up to it here is their address:

Microsoft
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399

In truth, it may be a wast of a stamp but not trying is guaranteeing we wont be heard.

Thanks for reading my comments. Happy Trails all.

Rick

Bing Maps will do all that MSST did just better - Sorry - https://binged.it/2l3tQ7V

Try it might find it will work for you - between it and Waze I've managed to not get LOST. ......

JMHO,

Really don't think it's coming back. It was my go to 10 years ago, and times they are a changing.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
My favorite feature was the radar alerts (or something similar) where you could have it search for favorite POIs ahead and along your route within a certain distance. I don't want to stop at Taco Bell just to find there's a Cracker Barrel 12 miles up the road! I haven't seen a similar feature in any "modern" GPS, ugh.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #10

The DW and I ran S&T on a laptop searching for open houses in South Jersey's Holiday City. Its 7, 55 + communities of 2000+ stand alone homes in each. Needless to say, it was a maze of short streets.

We still laugh, thinking about the hours of the laptop yelling " Turn around when possible " or " Recalculating ", when ever we saw another Open House sign, that took us off course.

We still have the program, although Google maps on a smart phone, has taken over.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #11

I too, still use S&T 2013 for trip planning and wish they would bring back support. Like others, I try to keep it up to date using the POI factory. I'm still planning to assemble my own POI file of locations I want to have available. I'll continue to use it for as long as I can, it is great for laying out an overall trip plan and arranging stops for reasonable routing. I'm currently planning a trip thru the west for 74 nights and 152 stops (includes fuel and campgrounds). While I don't use it for actual driving directions, I'll still have it open on the laptop on the dash of the RV with the GPS receiver plugged in and the tracking activated (sometimes off route and driving through fields - haha).
Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Bing Maps will do all that MSST did just better - Sorry - https://binged.it/2l3tQ7V

Try it might find it will work for you - between it and Waze I've managed to not get LOST. ......

JMHO,

Really don't think it's coming back. It was my go to 10 years ago, and times they are a changing.

Ok. Great. I can pick the route I want by dragging the proposed rout line around. Once that is done, and I am happy with my plans, how does the program know where my RV is? I have no cell service or WiFi available in most of the areas I travel between. I am, by far, NOT a techie. Will my S&T GPS work with Bing Maps??? Don't see how?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

Okay - how does Bing handle this scenario: I'm sitting in a campground out in the middle of nowhere, with no cell service, no wifi service, no satellite service, and I want to sit down and plan a route from my location. With S&T I simply fire up my laptop, start up S&T, and I'm ready to plan - can Bing do that?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
BTW, S&T 2013 trial version is still available for download. Microsoft is apparently no longer limiting activation keys, so if someone needs one send me a PM and I will send a key that should work.

Is there any way to retrieve a lost activation key? I had a hard drive crash a few years ago and lost the activation key for my S&T 2013 - it still runs fine on this laptop, but I can't move it to another machine without the key...

Tags
alaska, alaska trip