Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2022, 08:25 AM   #1

I need good advice Moab! UT to Bryce, UT

I need a good safe rout from Moab, Ut to Bryce, UT for my fall trip next year.
Any ideas, I need a decent road for a 43 ft diesel pulling a Jeep. I’m about 65 ft.
Not worried about elevation, just narrow, tight curves.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
191 to I-70 to 24. At Torrey take 12 to Bryce.

Lots of discussion here about Hwy 12. It is a decent road with one short, steep section about 1 mile(?), The Hogback, that apparently terrifies some. Yeah it is steep, marked 14%, and several curves and a little narrow but totally doable. At this point the wife bailed and went and sat in the back with her head down as she doesn't like heights. Great scenery but it's tough to drive and take it all in. Several pullouts if you can get in.

We split the trip stayed in Torrey for a night as we didn't get out of Moab till late.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
That is our preferred route. Absolutely stunning landscape!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post

Lots of discussion here about Hwy 12. It is a decent road with one short, steep section about 1 mile(?), The Hogback, that apparently terrifies some. Yeah it is steep, marked 14%, and several curves and a little narrow but totally doable. At this point the wife bailed and went and sat in the back with her head down as she doesn't like heights. Great scenery but it's tough to drive and take it all in. Several pullouts if you can get in.

We split the trip stayed in Torrey for a night as we didn't get out of Moab till late.
Thanks, I hope I don’t freak out myself. Is it ok for 43 ft pulling a Jeep?
Old 10-31-2022, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Thanks, I hope I don’t freak out myself. Is it ok for 43 ft pulling a Jeep?
Many, many RVers of all sizes do the route. It is so beautiful. It's not a lot of traffic and everyone is driving slow; not fast travel. It's a good two-lane route and like stated... the Hogback area that everyone seems to talk about is only about one-mile long. If you normally stay in your lane you'll do just fine! Semi trucks drive this so your size isn't a problem - although it's not a major semi route. They'd be on interstates.

Spending some time in Torrey would be good and tour Capitol Reef Nat'l Park which is there. Plan a stop at Escalante if you want another breather before getting to Bryce Nat'l Park. Take your toad & drive around a bit.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Many, many RVers of all sizes do the route. It is so beautiful. It's not a lot of traffic and everyone is driving slow; not fast travel. It's a good two-lane route and like stated... the Hogback area that everyone seems to talk about is only about one-mile long. If you normally stay in your lane you'll do just fine! Semi trucks drive this so your size isn't a problem - although it's not a major semi route. They'd be on interstates.

Spending some time in Torrey would be good and tour Capitol Reef Nat'l Park which is there. Plan a stop at Escalante if you want another breather before getting to Bryce Nat'l Park. Take your toad & drive around a bit.
I’m going that way for sure.
Where do you suggest to stay in Torrey?
I might do 2 days there. I definitely want to see Capital Reef. Escalate will be a bonus on day 2.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:00 PM   #7

We stayed at Sand Creek Park in Torrey. Small, basic campground, owner is super nice.

One place you MUST visit in Torrey is Chak Balam Mexican restaurant. It's a small building that doesn't look like much on the outside, and is small on the inside, but the food is amazing. It's unlike typical food you get in Mexican restaurants. Amazing flavors. The rojo sauce on the enchiladas tasted home made, and had a hint of cinnamon that gave it such a wonderful rich flavor. In the last 2-1/2 years we've traveled through 28 states, eating our way across America, and both my wife and I feel it has been the best Mexican food we've encountered. That was in 2020 and unfortunately, every Mexican restaurant we've eaten in since, has been compared to Chak Balam. While many were good, all fail to match it.

We almost did stop there because we thought the name meant it was it was served Indian food (as in India, not native) which we don't like. Second, the building looked half finished so we thought it wouldn't be open, but in the evening the parking lot filled up and the reviews were great so we gave it a try. Glad we did.

Oh, X2 on Capitol Reef. I got a sore neck driving through that park looking up through the windshield and a dry mouth from it hanging open so much looking at all the amazing scenery. It's an underappreciated park. I love Bryce and Zion, but Capitol Reef blew me away. It ended up being my favorite park in Utah.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #8

Not quite on the route you are talking about, but beware that on 12 to the *west* of bryce the road travels through a couple “tunnels” (short cutouts in protruding rocks) that might not be doable if your rig is high. I drove through them in a toad, and was thinkng “im glad i did not try this in my MH. So if you ultimately think of heading west to US89, be aware of that (others here may know for sure if a tall rig will make it through those cutouts…)
Old 11-01-2022, 11:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Not quite on the route you are talking about, but beware that on 12 to the *west* of bryce the road travels through a couple “tunnels” (short cutouts in protruding rocks) that might not be doable if your rig is high. I drove through them in a toad, and was thinkng “im glad i did not try this in my MH. So if you ultimately think of heading west to US89, be aware of that (others here may know for sure if a tall rig will make it through those cutouts…)
The tunnel (I only recall one) is no issue. Any big rig would fit and semi's also fit. It's just west of Bryce Nat'l Park. Here's a picture of it in this gorgeous link of sites along Hwy 12:

https://capitolreef.org/scenic-byway-12/
Old 11-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
The tunnel (I only recall one) is no issue. Any big rig would fit and semi's also fit. It's just west of Bryce Nat'l Park. Here's a picture of it in this gorgeous link of sites along Hwy 12:

the two 'tunnels' are west of bryce in red rock. they are marked at 13'6". bu they are rounded on the top so they are higher in the middle than at the sides. i do not know if the posted height is at the side or the middle.

our trailer is 13'6" and we have been through the 'tunnels' several times. we do wait for a gap in incoming traffic and we then straddle the middle line as we go through them.

if you look at the rv's at Ruby's rv park you will see that every type of rv ever made is there and they all went through the tunnels. also as stated, semis and other trucks make it through them.

they are a non issue!
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
the two 'tunnels' are west of bryce in red rock. they are marked at 13'6". bu they are rounded on the top so they are higher in the middle than at the sides. i do not know if the posted height is at the side or the middle.

our trailer is 13'6" and we have been through the 'tunnels' several times. we do wait for a gap in incoming traffic and we then straddle the middle line as we go through them.

if you look at the rv's at Ruby's rv park you will see that every type of rv ever made is there and they all went through the tunnels. also as stated, semis and other trucks make it through them.

they are a non issue!

Nice to know … thanks.

We thought bryce was one of the most enjoyable and interesting national parks we have visited … but we have never driven hwy 12 east of there. This thread makes me want to do so. Next time i guess [emoji4]
Old 11-02-2022, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post

they are a non issue!
Thanks I think we might stay at Ruby’s for 2-3 days
Old 11-02-2022, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:

Thanks

Tags
advice