Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
About 20 miles west of Del Rio on Hwy 90 you will find camping all along Lae Amistad both National land and private. I prefer stopping at Seminole Canyon State Park (on 90 about 25 minuts past Del Rio). Seminole Canyon is a great park with lots of large pull throughs and it is rarely full. There are some very nice hikes, beautiful skies, and some cave paintings to view.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawley View Post
Seriously. What are you thoughts about taking Highway #90 from San Antonio to Del Rio? Any suitable places to camp at Del Rio? Is safety an issue that close to the Mexican Border?

We are becoming concerned with the weather on the I-10 in the coming week. Lows predicted in the mid-teens for Wed & Thurs. That's pretty bonechilling cold living in a Camper? Also, worried about icy roads? What's the chances?
Try Seminole Canyon State park along Highway 90. The drive along this road is beautiful and VERY desolate. Right up the road from Seminole Canyon is Langtry, TX. The previous home of Judge Roy Bean...complete with museum.

While at Seminole Canyon take the guided tour down into the canyon as there are some ancient indian art/writing.

While out in this part of Texas you could also head to Marfa...to try your luck at sighting the Marfa Mystery Lights. When we were there a few years ago, we saw them. Pretty cool (do a google search).

Anyhow...it's a much better trip when not on I-10, which in my humble opinion is great for getting from point a to point b and not much else. Oh yeah...the non-truck speed limit in that part of Texas is 80 so hang onto your hat when the cars come flying by.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawley View Post
Seriously. What are you thoughts about taking Highway #90 from San Antonio to Del Rio? Any suitable places to camp at Del Rio? Is safety an issue that close to the Mexican Border?
The Amistad National Rec Area is just west of Del Rio. No hookups, but at $4 a night ($2 with Golden Age) you can't go wrong. There are other options in the area. Stock up on supplies and fuel here. Marathon does not have much in the way of stores, but the Marathon Motel & RV Park was nice with full hookups. Then south to Big Bend NP is a must if time permits. You need several days at a minimum, we spent 13 and it wasn't enough for me. Big Bend is high up on our list of 'must return to' places.
The night sky was incredible, no phone, no tv, no planes overhead, over 100 miles to the nearest Walmart.

Bob
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #32

Thanks to everyone who has participated here. We are stuck in Seguin, mostly due to weather, and the fact that we are getting some Warranty Work done on our Camper. We'll be staying in the San Antonio area for a few more days.

We are taking notes of all the suggestions and will let you know how it goes as we go West. We hope to stay at the Travellers World RV Park if there's a spot.
Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #33

Hi folks. Thought I better checkin. Let you know we made it to Arizona.

We ended up taking the I-10 through Texas. Stopped only twice. Once just outside Fort Stockton at Segovia. The Campground is a Passport America called Segovia River Valley RV Park. We paid something like $12 to overnight there. This isn't much of a place but everything worked (full hook-up) and the people in the Econo Lodge Motel were very helpful and friendly. We were happy to find this place just off the I-10 as we'd been travelling in some very windy conditions and were worn out fighting to keep the unit on the Highway. Some highway noise(at the campground) but it didn't seem to bother much. We ate in the Truck Stop Restaurant and the food was good. Service was awesome. Give those girls and the cook a big tip of the Texas hat. We'd stop here again for overnight.

Our second stop in Texas was at Sierra Blanca. Vista RV, Passport America, cost around $12 and with a restaurant on the premises. Full hookup, everything worked. We never use the bathrooms so I couldn't tell you about that. Food was awesome in the Restaurant. Service excellent. We stayed here for two nights because of windy conditions and I did our laundry.

Only complaint I have about this place(Vista RV) was the laundry. The machines were very dirty and they only provided cold water. No hot water to the machines. Cost $1.50/machine. Dryers, another $1.50/machine. But, we prevailed and did our laundry AFTER I cleaned the tops and insides of three machines.

That was Texas. Sorry to you Texas folks who gave us all such great places to see in your Great State but we will have to leave that for another trip. We are getting a bit anxious about getting back into Canada by the 15th of April.

We were stopped by Immigration twice. Once in New Mexico and once just outside Tombstone, AZ. Both times we were greeted and waved through immediately. One question put to us, "were we both American citizens." Identified ourselves as Canadians and with a wave of their hand we were on our way. No problem. One stop(New Mexico) we had the Camper on but the second time we were staying in Benson AZ and did not have the Camper with us.

That's it folks. The drive through Texas was uneventful (thankfully) and we were surprised at the number of different mountain ranges in Texas. Didn't ever realize before just how many mountains you have in that southern part of Texas. We shall return. God willing and the creek don't rise.

That's the scoop folks. Traffic on the I-10 was very light. We expected a lot more traffic. Only traffic we really encountered was travelling through ElPaso. Other than that, free sailing, nice roads, very little construction. Thank you Texas.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #34

Perhaps I should have added above. The one reason we stay away from some of the State Parks in Texas and elsewhere is because, as Canadians, we pay an entrance fee which varies but usually runs around $6/$7/ per person/per night. On top of a Camping fee that can run into some real money over 5 or 7 days. We get no break as seniors. In order to get a break you have to be American. That makes it uneconomical for us to stay in your State Parks. But, I believe we do the same thing to you Americans when you visit Canada so tit for tat I guess. I intend to talk to our Saskatchewan Parks(when I get home) to see if they wouldn't consider treating American Seniors exactly as they treat Canadian Seniors. Bring more people to our Province. Seniors have paid their dues IMO and should get a break wherever they travel. JMO.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Not to highjack the thread, but I wanted to ask specifically about San Antonio. We're thinking of staying in Bexar County there by Calaveras Lake. Is that a safe area?

Also one additional question. Thanks to all the excellent recommendations on here, we've booked a pretty extensive TX trip with alot of State Park stops, but there were a few that we weren't able to book. Do all TX parks keep a portion of sites for walk ins (non-reservation)? We are 40'. I couldn't find this info anywhere.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am an extensive Texas State Park camper, but I am not sure about your questions. You can call within 24 hours of your arrival to find out and reserve a camp site in a Texas Park. You do this by calling the gate listed in the book-not the reservation company! If they have a site, the park employees will hold it for you. I do think that all parks will reserve all of their sites if possible, some (very few) have over-flow areas. 40 feet in lenght could narrow down you selection quite a bit in some parks, so I would call ahead and ask if they can fit you.

BTW Hawley, in the future if you are going to stay in Texas for a while, buy the anual pass and all of your visits will be free of a gate fee! It only takes about 4-5 nights for that to pay you back! Plus you get several coupons good for free nights and half price nitghts...it is a great deal.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
It has been my experience with Texas State Parks that if they say they are full then they are full. No, they don't hold back sites. BUT, I would always book 10 sites for our group then cancel the ones I didn't need just before the deadline. That means one day they could be full and the next day they have sites available. Book a site in advance if you can, but if you find yourself needing a site at the last minute always check with the park to see if something opened up. Happy camping!
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Cheers for the replies. I've managed to book most of the parks and have made alternate plans for those we couldn't book.

Anyone able to answer my San Antonio question? Is Bexar County a safe area to stay?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Cheers for the replies. I've managed to book most of the parks and have made alternate plans for those we couldn't book.

Anyone able to answer my San Antonio question? Is Bexar County a safe area to stay?
No more or less so than any other non-border county in Texas. In other words, yes.

Just out of curiosity, where are you from that you would even ask a question like that? I think someone has been giving you a really bad impression of Texas and southern Texas especially. It really is a beautiful state, and is certainly no more dangerous than any other state I know of. You will enjoy San Antone and I hope you will also have time to visit Austin and the Hill Country.

I just went to your web site and I'm very impressed. Your comments are well written and very enjoyable.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

We generally visit the sons in San Antonio once or twice a year. We have always stayed at Blazing Star RV Park on the west side. We travel, shop and eat throughout the city and other than traffic being horrible, have never had or seen any problems. I do not recall reading on this or other forums where anyone has had a "problem" in any of the RV parks. Some perfer the amenities and/or location of one park over another but not because of gangs or other similiar problems.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden
Just out of curiosity, where are you from that you would even ask a question like that? I think someone has been giving you a really bad impression of Texas and southern Texas especially. It really is a beautiful state, and is certainly no more dangerous than any other state I know of. You will enjoy San Antone and I hope you will also have time to visit Austin and the Hill Country.
Actually my question was prompted by akadeadeye's comment earlier in this thread regarding an RV park in San Antonio that he considered in a high crime area. Believe me i've been around and have no qualms at all about TX (really looking forward to our trip there!) but I also know that every big city has areas that are best to avoid, so I was trying to get a gauge on that. We'll be boondocking there at Calaveras Lake. Sorry...should have made that clearer. Didn't mean to imply anything bad!

And yes..definitely going to Austin. Planning a month and a half to visit your beautiful state. Very excited to go!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Actually my question was prompted by akadeadeye's comment earlier in this thread regarding an RV park in San Antonio that he considered in a high crime area. Believe me i've been around and have no qualms at all about TX (really looking forward to our trip there!) but I also know that every big city has areas that are best to avoid, so I was trying to get a gauge on that. We'll be boondocking there at Calaveras Lake. Sorry...should have made that clearer. Didn't mean to imply anything bad!

And yes..definitely going to Austin. Planning a month and a half to visit your beautiful state. Very excited to go!
Wow, a month and a half in Texas! There is so much to do, so many places to visit, so much GREAT Tex-Mex food and BBQ. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote