Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
I75 or I95 That is the Question!

The DW and I are currently in Kentucky and are headed to southern Florida using Hwy 75.

We have done the trip several times but this time we consulted Sally the Wonder Girl on our GPS system first. (I think she is related to Sam but we prefer Sally)

We live north of Toronto and Sally wanted us to cross the border at Ft. Erie and ultimately come down 95 and finally join up with 75 near our destination.

Doing some quick map readings it looks like she is right by about 100 km but in talking with several others from our area it seems that allot of people prefer 75 over 95.

So, I guess the question of the day is "What do you prefer and why?"

Since I started this here goes.................

It is the way that I have always done it and I like it. Nice views along the way too.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

It depends where you pick up 95.South of D.C. is past the congestion and tolls.If I stay on 95 into Ct the tolls are over $100 with motorhome towing a car.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
If you're in Kentucky, it makes sense to stick with the I75 route to get to FL. Just watch Atlanta traffic.

If you were in Port Erie, then the route takes you pretty much due South until you pick up I95 in SC where it intersects with I26.

We have two 'Sallies' in our motorhome that often select different routes. I combine that with Mappoint on my computer to further confuse things...
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ray,
My assumption is the GPS has you taking the Florida Turnpike from I75 to get to I95, in Ft. Pierce. Then I95 South from Ft. Pierce. For me this is not a good route. Starting in West Palm Beach all the way South past Miami, traffic is terrible.

Consider I75 all the way. The only bad part is Atlanta. In Florida I'll take I75 over I 95 any day. Especially in South Florida.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #5

Haven't driven I-75 in a while, but I-95 has several areas of road construction especially north of Baltimore around Washington DC and in the Richmond VA area.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
IMHO

When ever I take I 95 anywhere I say my prayers and bring cash. The traffic From the Maine border to south of DC by many miles is a P.I.A construction congestion narrow lanes and impatient drivers drive me up the wall. Close to any city route planning is essential to avoid going into the city. I 95 in and around Miami is at times dangerous and confusing. Stick with I 75 till you get to Florida and then reconfigure your route depending on where your going and avoid Atlanta if you can go around it ...way around it.
Good luck....
Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
paz

Traffic on I-95 is generally worse than I-75. Unless you're going from KY to Miami, I wouldn't go near I-95. The potential problem on I-75 is Atlanta, and if you time your trip for a weekend, or at least to pass through there at mid-day, you shouldn't have a problem.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote