RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Idaho SR-75

SR-75 north from US-20 at Bellevue, Idaho through Stanley, and on to Challis, Idaho. Reported to be a scenic route, but is it navigable in a 36-foot motorhome towing a vehicle? (Summer 2021 trip plan) My Mountain Directory describes Galena Summit on 75 north of Ketchum, ID. Sounds as though it would be OK for my rig with exhaust brakes.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi RedT,

I can't offer any personal experience and I'd expect that someone with personal experience will be along to offer advice. However, a tool that I often use when exploring a route is the street level view in Google maps.

Here's an image of ID-75 between Stanley and Chalis:

Click image to enlarge.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ID-75.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	309906

It doesn't look too bad, to me.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #3

We went down 75 from Challis to Stanley and then west to 95 eventually. All the roads good but rather twisty west of Stanley if that's still 75. Very scenic along the river and lots of boondocking sites. After getting on 95 we followed it all the way to Bonner's Ferry and US 2. We were towing a 30 ft TT.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
West of Stanley is ID21, great drive and "twisty" along much of the drive!!

ID75 from Challis is "twisty" esp when following the river heading to Stanley from the east. Heading south it is fairly straight, some curves, and a modest altitude gain until you get to the start up the pass. Pass is high, 8701 ft, but is a fairly easy pull and descent. A bit more winding on the southern downhill, but the curves and grade is very doable. Great views almost anywhere along the road.

75 straightens out again after the pass, heading to Ketchum, with modest ups and downs and follows the Big Wood River. Lots of dispersed camping along the way!! From Ketchum/Sun Valley to Bellevue it is a basic, populated 2 lane (occas 4) highway, no surprises, and much more traffic!! You should have NO problems along this route.

I know you are going north rather than south, but just thought I'd give you my impressions on the route that we have taken a few times!! Just turn the paragraphs upside down!!!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

Last summer we volunteered at Yankee Forks SP in Challis (no camping, just a visitor center). We drove many times to Stanley and it is a twisty road that follows the Salmon river, but not much grade changes. If you visit Bay Horse (abandon Silver mining town which is part of the Yankee Forks SP) it is a 3 mile ride up a 2 track road. This best for a vehicle and not a MH.
Continue North to Salmon, these are super scenic roads to travel, 93 and 75 are used by semis for local deliveries.
Just follow the arrow on Mapquest and you can travel the road virtually heading North of Stanley.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2203...!7i3328!8i1664
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #6

Hwy 75 is a good road. The area is RVers heaven so plenty drive it.

From Bellevue you'll have the uphill to Galena Summit at 8700' EL. The northbound descent to Stanley has 6% for 5 miles and signage for 30 & 40 mph curves. Beautiful drive and perfectly OK for your motorhome. I see you're referencing the 'Mountain Directory'. Good for you. You could also plug it into YouTube and will probably get some videos of people driving it.

From 20, Hwy 93 will also take you to Challis and is an easy drive. Depending where you're coming from Hwy 28 is also a good highway taking you to Salmon, ID.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #7

Ditto on Bay Horse Ghost Town, the place is largely intact and there was a interpretive ranger there when we went thru
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
Ditto on Bay Horse Ghost Town, the place is largely intact and there was a interpretive ranger there when we went thru

The last couple of years they have used a camp worker to stay at Bay Horse for the summer. It's actually a paid position and the park service supplied a generator/water for the workamper's camper. It would be a neat experience for the right couple and we heard many stories of visiting wildlife after hours.https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...oiowE3oECB0QAw
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote