Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

If you had two days, CT to Myrtle Beach

Thinking of taking a late April trip from CT to Myrtle Beach. Have 11 days to use. Figuring on two days to go down with my class A and toad.
I hate traffic so I avoid NYC and GW bridge like the plague.
Will go I84 to 684 over Tappan Zee to 287 and 78 to 81. From there, what is best path? Definitely want to rejoin I95 below Washington. Any input on relaxing ride would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Just a suggestion. After crossing the Tappan Zee bridge, take the Garden State Pkwy to Cape May. Then take the Cape May/Lewes ferry to Lewes DE. Hwy 113 which will become hwy 13 down the Delmarva Peninsula to Norfolk. Hwy 58, which I've been on many times, is a great ride in the country. That road is in nice shape. It will take you to I-95. It's slower speeds but no traffic. The ferry is a great ride and it is not expensive. Bay bridge tunnel in VA. is cool.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Just a suggestion. After crossing the Tappan Zee bridge, take the Garden State Pkwy to Cape May. Then take the Cape May/Lewes ferry to Lewes DE. Hwy 113 which will become hwy 13 down the Delmarva Peninsula to Norfolk. Hwy 58, which I've been on many times, is a great ride in the country. That road is in nice shape. It will take you to I-95. It's slower speeds but no traffic. The ferry is a great ride and it is not expensive. Bay bridge tunnel in VA. is cool.

That sounds like a good scenic tour, and if you would want to make a stop at the half way point, VA Beach KOA, or some other campground of your choosing would be nice...

VIRGINIA BEACH KOA
Open All Year

Reserve: (800) 562-4150

Info: (757) 428-1444

Email

1240 General Booth Boulevard

Virginia Beach, VA 23451

Get Directions
Accommodations

Check-in: 3:00 pm, Check-out: 11:00 am

RV Sites, Tent Sites

Check-in: 1:00 pm, Check-out: 12:00 pm

Two question though.
Can you tow a towed on the GSP?
Do you have to disconnect the towed to take the ferry?

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #4

We took the Tappanzee, then Garden State last year. Just be careful on the GS and stay in the center lanes as there are a lot of arched overpasses and the outside lanes are low height.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #5

If you like I81 take a look at I64 E to Rt29 in VA. This also avoids all of thevtraffic around DC. Rt 29 is divided hwy w bypasses around all cities but does have some grade crossings in a few places. Then I74 brings you out to I95 at Lumberton NC at the NC -SC line.
There are several places for onite stop...Apr should not be a problem w most openning by then.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
Thinking of taking a late April trip from CT to Myrtle Beach. Have 11 days to use. Figuring on two days to go down with my class A and toad.
I hate traffic so I avoid NYC and GW bridge like the plague.
Will go I84 to 684 over Tappan Zee to 287 and 78 to 81. From there, what is best path? Definitely want to rejoin I95 below Washington. Any input on relaxing ride would be appreciated.
Tim, we did this same trip for 6 yrs in a row from Ct,meeting friends from Albany area in NY on the way,,,,
we would go out 84 to Pa/NY line get off exit 53 in Pa at Port Jervis?Matamoras exit and take rt 209 to Stroudsburg,Pa get on I-80 for 3 or 4 exits and take Rt 33 south to Allentown,Pa pick up rt 22 for 20 minutes to I-78 west to I-81
we'd stay at Candyhill in Winchester,Va or Falling Waters,W Va...[exit13]...and then go I-66 toward DC for [25 miles ]picking up rt 17 toward and around Warrenton,Va to I-95 just above Richmond,Va and go straight down 95 thru Richmond..a little traffic for maybe 10-15 miles to Latta,Sc and to MB

on occasion to change the route ...we would go I-84 to Newburgh,NY take 87 south to Sufferin,NY and take I-287 for 45 mies to I-78 to I-81...still staying at either of the same 2 campgrounds...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #7

Thanks Everyone

All good Info. Plans changed as a "friend of a friend" offered their house to us for the week (1 row from the beach) for less than the gas would have been in the motorhome. If we take one day to drive on a Saturday, we will do the I95 corridor leaving CT at 3 AM. If we decide to make a leisurely drive of 2 days, we will take I81 and cross over below Washington.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #8

the only way

We`ve done Myrtle Beach twice a year for the last 15 years from Md. We take 81 south to 66 towards DC but get off at 17 south to I95 then on down. Go around Richmond if you hit that at rush hour look out, construction and rude, rude people. We pick a Walmart at the north south boarder for the night. This way you avoid a lot of traffic but a tad longer then on to 301 to MB. Pedro says to stop and buy something so he can stay in business but we never do unless it`s fuel. Those on the beach campgrounds are nice and are really getting crowded we reserve the day we leave for next year.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you had two days, CT to Myrtle Beach

A couple of minor points re the routes suggested:

1. Last time I drove I-684 south was a few years ago, but at that time about half the distance was old, uneven concrete in very bad condition.
2. I-78 from I-287 to I-81 is old road, much of it concrete, in pretty poor shape. Worth avoiding in my view. My preference now from Brewster is to continue west on I-84 either all the way to Scranton to I-81 south, or just to I-87 south, then I-80 west to I-81. I take I-81 as far as Winchester, VA, then US50 and US17 to rejoin I-95 at Fredericksburg. Passing Richmond, I always assume I'll take the I-295 bypass. Very good road, very little traffic, and only adds about 5 minutes. Then, if I'm transiting at a time well out of any rush hour I just go ahead straight through.
The Americamps RV Park in Ashland, VA, could be a good overnight. We've been there a few times. Convenient to highway but quiet, nice folks, and a little breakfast cafe.
Good trip!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
myrtle beach