Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
IN to FL -- I-65 or I-75???

Headed to Ft. Myers, Florida from Nappanee, Indiana in February. Had thought it made most sense to go south on US 31 to Indy, then on I-65 to Nashville to I-75 to Ft. Myers, but a commercial trucker who has done the trip many times said that it makes much more sense in terms of time on the road and avoiding congestion to take IN 15 to US 30 to I-75 near Ft. Wayne, then take I-75 all the way to Ft. Myers. He said he regularly saves at least 2-3 hours on the whole trip, but most importantly avoids lots of congestion that I-65 brings at Indy and Louisville.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this and any strong recommendations for overnight stopping with 50 amp service along the way every 300-400 miles.

Many thanks.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #2

Unless you happen to hit Louisville right around 8 in the morning, you'll not hit traffic on I-65 going south. If it were me, I'd take the I-65 route to Louisville, then hit I-64 East to I-75. Louisville is not bad, Cincinatti IS bad as is Nashville. There are two bad hills (mountains) on I-75, Jellico and Mount Eagle.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #3

We drive nearly the same route every year, South of Orlando to just west of Ft. Wayne (Columbia City). We have found by trying different routes that what works best for us is I75 to I275 South of Cincinnati to I74 to Indianapolis. At Indy we take I465 to I69 to Ft. Wayne and then US 30W. We have a 35 ft motorhome with a towd and have had no issues with any hills on this route. Note: Monteagle TN, is on I24, not I75.

Some of our overnight stopping points are:
Oak and Pines, Lake City, FL
Eagles Roost, Lake Park, GA
Twin Oaks, Elko, GA [one of our all time favorites]
KOA, Cartersville, GA [not really a favorite, but really convenient]
KOA, Sweetwater, TN
KOA, Corbin, KY
Whispering Hills, Georgetown, KY

Except for Twin Oaks (we sometimes stay there longer just because we like it), these are not necessarily great campgrounds for longer stays, but, for us, good overnight stops on the route you talk about. They are all easy off/easy on the highway with pull thrus and full hook ups.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

We travel to Florida from Indiana at least twice a year.
If I were @ Napanee, I would take US 31 south to Indianapolis. There I would get on I-465 east, around the east part of Indy and get on I-65 south.
Louisville, Ky is a little congested at times, but, if you take your time it isn't too bad.
Nashville, Tn is another story. Try to get there between rush hours in the morning and evening.
We keep going south on I-65 after Nashville thru Birmingham,Al and Montgomery,Al.
On the south side of Montgomery we get on US 231 down to I-10.
From there we go to I-75 south.
On I-75, in Ohio, we have encountered truck traffic that is very bad. One of the semis tried to crowd us off of the road. Further south is Cincinnati which is a mad rush almost all of the time. Lexington is not bad but Knoxville has given us problems almost every time we go thru it or around it.
Chattanooga is usually pretty good to go thru about any time of the day.
Then there is Atlanta........ extremely bad at rush hour on I-75 or I-475. When we used to go that way we tried to hit Atlanta about 9 PM and went on I-75 straight thru. I-475 is usually full of semi trucks
From Atlanta south there isn't many problems unless you get to Gainesville on a day that the football team is playing.
On I-65 there are several campgrounds on the northeast side that are near Opreyland. They are pretty expensive, but well located, for the tourist that want to see Nashville. Further south @ the 27 mm is Texas T. It has full hook-ups with wifi at a reasonable price. In Alabama @ the 354 mm is Northwood Travel Park. It is just full hook-ups with nothing else. Not too expensive (cash or check only) but a handy stopover.
On US231 @ Ozark we like Ozark Travel Park.
While neither way is perfect, we prefer the I-65, US 231, I-10,I-75 route. We have traveled both routes several times since 1970 and now try to avoid I-75 as much as possible.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

Just recieved an e-mail from a friend that traveled I-75 to Florida first part of Jan....... avoid south side of Atlanta, after the by-pass on I-75. Two hours to travel 20 miles southbound. Lane closures.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely go I-75. Anything to avoid Birmingham on I-65, the roughest road in the country (that I have been on). Would get off Interstate prior to Birmingham if you decide to go 65 and travel the alternate roads.

burfurd
Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Burfurd and Indiana --

Thanks for your specific advice. I got it about Birmingham loud and clear. Actually what I am thinking after lots of deliberation and reviewing all the advice on this tread is to take I-65 from Indy to Nashville but then to take Birmingham out of the picture by taking I-24 from Nashville through Chattanooga till it connects with I-75 and then run with that till Ft. Myers.

How does that strike you -- and anyone else who wants to chime in?

Thanks to all too, including Topdownman, for the recommendations about overnights. This info is really helpful.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
Just recieved an e-mail from a friend that traveled I-75 to Florida first part of Jan....... avoid south side of Atlanta, after the by-pass on I-75. Two hours to travel 20 miles southbound. Lane closures.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
just came threw there friday around 3 pm must of hit it right about 20 min delay but keeped rolling
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Deek,
You're the pilot, go which ever way you think is best for you.
The route that you have choen has a BIG mountain to climb and go back down. Mt. Eagle, just outside Chattanooga. It also has Atlanta, which can be a real problem. The DW says to stay home, if we're going anywhere close to Atlanta.
When we go thru Birmingham it is truly rough in spots. Thats where we slow way down, till the highway smoothes back out. It isn't that long of a stretch of rough spots. We will be going that way in about a month.
Which ever way you go, be sure to have a safe and happy trip.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rver View Post
just came threw there friday around 3 pm must of hit it right about 20 min delay but keeped rolling
Stoppage must be intermittent. Drove through there Friday evening with no issues.

Quote:
taking I-24 from Nashville through Chattanooga till it connects with I-75 and then run with that till Ft. Myers.
Monteagle on I24 is one place I bypass even in the car. Make sure your brakes are in top shape and take your time through there. Have a great trip.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I 75 is not bad as long as you stay on 75. Do not get on 285 or 85 in the Atlanta area just came through there from Fl on thanksgiving. Went an hour maybe two out of my way to avoid I 285 or I 85. Again 75 is ok.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

I'm with Indiana Journey, 65 south to Montgomery then 231 etc. Birmingham is rough but as suggested take it slow and once you are out of the Metro area it smooths out again.

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Traveling thru/around Atlanta

I've lived in metro ATL all my life. With that said,traffic is not bad on the interstates exceeeept morning and afternoon rush hours. I-75 and I-85 merge thru downtown where you can expect bumper to bumper traffic at any time. I-285 is your best route unless you have reason to stop inside the perimeter.

I-75 south of I-285 can get congested between rush hours especially on Thursdays and Sundays of holiday weekends like all other interstate roads around Atlanta.

It is wise to take I-475 around Macon in middle Ga also.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote