Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Indiana Hwy 41 vs. I-65

We are looking at a possible alternate route from Wisconsin to Florida. We have traveled I-65 many times and the ruts are enormous! Does anyone have experience traveling Hwy 41 south from Chicago area then hooking up with I-24 west of Nashville?

Is it two or four lane? What kind of condition? How much travel time would it add?

Thanks for all your help.
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #2

Having driven US 41/IN 63 both directions many times. I much prefer US 41 instead of I 65. Sure you will pass through some small towns,perhaps 3 until you reach Terre Haute, IN., then about 3 more until you reach Evansville, IN. US 41 is 4-lane all the way to Evansville. The most congestion on US 41 is to about 15 miles South of the IN state line. Afterwards traffic is usually light.
Once you reach I 64 (North of Evansville) IMO it's best to drive East on I 64 until you reach the I 69 South exit. This bypasses Evansville and intersects with I 24 South of Evansville in KY.
I think the travel time is less to equal by the time you include the interstate congestion at Indianapolis, and that route is longer.
IMO US 41/IN 63 is in much better condition than I 65
Important! Stay on US 41/IN 63 S., DO NOT take US 41S when it curves away from IN 63 before reaching Terre Haute. That is the original highway,it is curvy, hilly, and about 45 is the max. safe travel for an RV. Check your road atlas and you'll see what I mean.

When we are Florida-bound I always drive I 24 to I 65 Southbound all the way to Montgomery AL., then follow the signs to US 231 southbound. You do drive through several towns, some congested, all the way to I 10.
This route is about 80 miles longer than going over to I 75 and it mountainous route. This misses all the large mountains.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the information. I think we will try that route next time seeing as I 65 has ruts big enough to swallow a small car.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Coming south from Wisconsin down through Rockford, IL and continue south on I-39 I believe it is. Then south on I-55 to I-64 east, follow I-64 through Mt. Vernon, IL, catch I-57 south. Follow till you hit Paducah, KY and then catch I-24 south. I just traveled that route this summer coming home from Door County, WI. Fairly decent roads. I would not travel I-65 in Indiana, that is terrible.
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Cutie fact
Thanks for the route... we actually live in Door County. Hoping to retire soon!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Pttaylor,
We spent a full week in Egg Harbor, and a full week in Elison Bay. Toured Washington Island and enjoyed the FyrBol celebration in Ephraim. Love the Door County hospitality.
CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When traveling east on I-74 hi-way 63 south is just east of the ILL. and IND. state line. Hi-way 63 is the way you have to go all the way to Terra Haute and then catch or I mean merge into 41 south to Evansville. Continue south till you hit the Pennyrile Parkway and that will take you to I-24 in KY. Dont take 41 on the north side of Terra Haute by Vincense stay on 63. till you get to Terra Haute. Went this way hundreds of times hard to tell which way to go because i know it by heart and don't even have to think when I drive it. Drove it a few times in my sleep when I was trucking. Jim
Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #8

In addition to I-65 interstate construction in Indianapolis, Louisville has quite a lot; both right at the Ohio river, and further south near Elizabethtown.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

You have to watch out for low hanging trees on parts of US-41. We own property right off US 41 and we never take our RV south through Rockville, IN.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote