Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #1

Question Inks lake SP to Lockhart SP

Any suggestions on how to get from Inks Lake State Park to Lockhart State park. I am pretty sure that I do not want to get on I-35 in Austin. I am looking for a good way to basically avoid Austin.

Driving a 36' DP pulling a Colorado.

Thanks for the help
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #2

Depending on what time of the day - the trip down Hwy 183 might not be that bad. Time it to hit the intersection of north Hwy 183+SH45 in Cedar Park at 10:00 am. I am not sure if the construction on Hwy 183 near the airport is complete just yet - so i cant vouch for that yet.

I would not do the Hwy 71 route at any time of day or night. The closer you get to Austin the worse it gets. I would not try going farther south from Inks down Hwy 281 and then cutting across at various points. Generally everything west of IH35 is busy. Everybody wants to live in the Hill Country. I live east near Taylor. Its better on the east side.

You might consider following Hwy 29 to Georgetown then take SH 130 toll to Lockhart. SH 130 gets quite busy during rush hours between SH45 on the north side, probably all the way to Lockhart exit (Hwy 183 intersection on the south). You might check into getting a TXTag so the tolls will be cheaper. Even Hwy 183 thru Austin has a toll sections thru Leander and south of IH35. The TXTag web site has a toll calculator so you can figure out the cost. It is free to get a TXTag for your vehicle.

I would not use IH35 thru the heart of Austin. Stuff happens on that road and it is rarely a pleasurable drive no matter the time of day. But if you like living on the edge - take IH35 south to SH45 then over to Hwy 183 and Lockhart.

If you dont want to mess with toll roads or Austin - stay on Hwy 29 thru Georgetown to Taylor, then follow Hwy 95 to Bastrop - the follow Hwy 21 toward Lockhart. Its a longer drive but its nice. I do it all the time. Going thru the towns is no big deal...probably Georgetown is the busiest, but not bad...no tolls...no stress - just time and scenery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC46CE1E-C418-41C3-9D0F-F91D6E60BA58.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	339706  
MikenDebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

I will look into the suggestion about going through Georgetown towards Bastrop and then down.

Thanks for the route ideas.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #4

Very easy to get thru Austin if you'll pay the toll. IMO it's very worth it.

29 to 130 then all the way to Lockhart.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We live between San Antonio and Blanco. There are two ways to get out of Inks Lake SP. There is a "scenic" way, kind of a short cut between the SP and Hwy 281. I'd recommend NOT going that way. It's narrow, hilly, very twisty and broken pavement. Instead, go into Burnet on HWY 29. Then the choice is... do I pay $19 plus dollars in Tolls or do I go down Hwy 281 to Blanco and then small roads over to San Marcos.

The Toll road, Hwy 130 is east of Georgetown and is a beautiful 80 mph road with little traffic. If you do not have a TXTag they will photograph your license plate and send you a bill about 45 to 65 days later. If you don't pay it in 2 mins and 3 seconds (I kid) they double it. And then double it every day until they own your RV. The one phrase that they have never heard of was "customer service." They do charge more if you do not have an account. You "may" be able to set up an account in advance and even without the tag get charged less and just take the money from your account with your license plate photo. I'm not positive about that.

The other way you take Hwy 281 south through Marble Falls and Johnson City. Both places are good stops with the LBJ National Park in JC and Lake LBJ in Marble Falls. Then you keep going through Blanco - great state park there, too right on the river - and just south of town you'll see a sign for a left turn onto Fischer Rd, TX FM 32. FM32 turns into RT12 and skirts between Canyon Lake and Wimberley to go into San Marcos.

All around there is some cute in interesting stuff. Wimberley is a tiny tiny town but known as an "artist community' with galleries and restaurants. It's 5-miles north of TX 12 just before you get to San Marcos.

San Marcos is a small college town - Texas State University - and from there you'll find half a dozen roads that take you over to Lockhart.

Don't miss the BBQ in Lockhart - there are many choices, it's the BBQ Capital of TX. Oh, and check the open and close times. Some close early and some sell out by noon. When we went we found we needed to get to Smitty's by 11am. And, have cash some places don't take plastic.

https://austin.eater.com/2016/6/16/1...e-where-to-eat

No doubt the Toll Road is the fastest and easiest way to go. If you go that way get a TxTag FIRST. If you want to see more of Texas take Hwy 281. It's good and fast and a nice drive. We always take 281 anytime we're going north.

https://www.txtag.org/txtagstorefront/en/
Old 08-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd pick a route per creativepart and avoid I-35. I hate I-35 and going through Austin. I think they have some of the craziest drivers in the world there.

Hwy 281 is a nice drive.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Here are two maps for both routes:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.28.36 AM.png
Views:	24
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	339748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.29.35 AM.png
Views:	27
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	339749  

Old 08-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #8

Thanks, we do have an EZ Pass, we use it for Beltway 8 in Houston. Although I do not think I will travel 130. I am not a big fan of traveling that much slower than traffic. I roll around 60-65 and with the speed limit being 80 (if drivers there drive like they do in Houston it will be much faster than 80).

I had looked at Google for something closer to the route you suggested going down 281. I just didn’t know where to cut across East bound. I will look into that route.

I was made aware of the BBQ scene in Lockhart and we have no problem getting in line early if we have to do that.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It won't matter if you're not going 130 - but that toll road only works with the TxTag. Not Ez Pass, but maybe you're just using that term generically.

I have traveled all of the roads I've suggested - but only as far as San Marcos. By the way, on Hwy 12 between Canyon Lake and near Wimberley is also known as "The Devil's Backbone." You'll be traveling at the top of the spine of the backbone with canyons on both sides. It's a bit twisty but with wide broad road and shoulders. Very pretty section.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	backbone.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	339788  
Old 08-17-2021, 04:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It won't matter if you're not going 130 - but that toll road only works with the TxTag. Not Ez Pass, but maybe you're just using that term generically.

Pretty sure the EZ Pass works all over Texas and depending on the tag a few other states.

https://www.hctra.org/EZTAGAccountTypes
Old 08-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
SH 130 segments 5 & 6 has the highest legal speed limit in the nation at 85 mph and the use of open tolling allows tolls to be charged without drivers having to slow for a toll booth. Drivers can pay their tolls by mail or receive a discount by using a TxTag, Dallas TollTag or Houston EZ TAG.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote