RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #15

We are traveling west to California later this year also. What is the easiest route with respect to grade over the Continental Divide? I-40 west of Albuquerque or I-10 west of Las Cruces? I read online that interstate highways are limited to a maximum of 6% grade. Is that valid on these two passes? Also, if we took one route west and the other east on the return trip, which route has the simplest grade going each direction?

Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #16

Compared to I-70, I-80 and I-90 one barely notices that you have crossed the continental divided on either I-10 or I40.

p.s. we drove from Louisiana to the Grand Canyon in October, mostly I-40 going, and I-10 coming back though I did cross diagonally off the interstates part of the way, and missed noticing when we crossed continental divide going both ways. Certainly a different experience than our visit to Yellowstone in 2017 where we crossed it as many as 4 times in one day some days.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:44 AM   #17

We crossed it last spring on I-10 going west and east. Heading west we completely missed it, going east we saw the signs. The ascent on 10 is very gentle. The stretch just inside California heading into Indian Wells was our first introduction into the mountains and it was all downhill.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #18

Happycookin

Two weeks ago I drove from Dallas to Charlotte, MI. There for 2 days, and then on to Des Moines, IA. Two days in Altoona at Summit Products. From there to KC and Joplin. Last day from Joplin back to Dallas.

You are so right about potholes and bad Interstates! Michigan has terrible highways. Not much better in Missouri. Oklahoma has no bragging rights for good highways, as well.

Never understood why highway crews use asphalt to patch up concrete highways. Those patches are good for about a week, at the most. Heat and heavy 18 wheelers tear up those patches very quickly. And I have never seen so many trucks!

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #19

Where are you going in California? That would dictate which highway to take.

If you still have the same motorhome, Newmar, as in your Profile no crossing would be difficult for you!

The Continental Divide on I-40 is east of Gallup, NM at 7200' elevation.

The Continental Divide on I-10 is at Lordsburg, NM near the AZ border at 4500' elevation.

Both of those are just 'hills'; not mountains! You won't even notice them because you're approaching the areas gradually as you drive.

As comparison - on I-70 through Colorado you will be at 10,000+ elevation at 7%. Again, once you get used to mountain driving it's very doable and millions have done it. Going downhill just get into lower gear before even starting the downhill. You then won't have to use your brakes often.

I'd advise you get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' - western and eastern editions. Getting off interstates is where all the beauty is so don't be hesitant in using secondary highways, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas state highways are very good, we live in Central TX avoid the interstates. Lots of great country and towns to see in the Hill country. You can find map books on line that will tour you across the state with historical data, sites, state parks, etc. We are in a 42 Tiffin and find the state highways the way to go. Generally less traffic than the Interstate trucking roads.

Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote